Friday, June 4, 2010

Quick Takes (5) Pregnancy Style



This isn't really a typical Quick Takes, more like a random smattering of thoughts that have been swirling around in my head since finding out we're pregnant.  I'm only using the guise of Quick Takes to bring some order to this post :)

-1-
I had a strange reaction almost immediately after discovering that beautiful second line on the pregnancy test. In my overwhelming joy and excitement this thought dashed through my mind: "the days of just you and Ted are over." And if I'm being completely honest, that made me sad. Weird huh? The girl who has desired a family since she was 5 years old, the girl who has done everything in her power to make it happen, the girl who has fervently prayed and asked others to do the same hoping to be blessed with a child was now actually jealous of this little spec of a baby taking time away from her husband?? But I felt it slipping-the relationship that I have grown to love so much and am so comfortable in. It's been just me and Ted for two years and we LOVE it. Although we've been trying for children that entire time, we still relished the alone time we were given and enjoyed every second of it. It was a reaction I NEVER thought I would have and at first I was a little ashamed. I now realize that this speaks nothing of my desire for this child, but is only a testament to the absolute and total love I have for my husband.

-2-
This baby is going to be celebrated. Period. Yes, there are a million things that could wrong between now and the delivery. We might not ever make it that far. This little one's heart could already have stopped beating or could be dangerously growing in my tube at this very moment-but that doesn't matter. We co-created life. We have a child. We're parents. No matter what happens, those statement remain true. Yes, a miscarriage would be absolutely devastating, as far too many of you know. But a miscarriage would not change the fact that I have a little baby in me right now that is calling out for joy and celebration. If this little one dies before he is ever born, it would sadden me to know that when he gets to heaven and looks back on his short little life, he would discover that his mommy and daddy weren't that happy about him being there. That they were guarded and cautious and scared and didn't enjoy EVERY SECOND of his short little life on earth. I am vowing to enjoy every second of this-no matter what!

-3-
You may have noticed that I used "he" in the previous take, but we obviously have no idea what this little poppy seed is yet. And we're not going to find out. (gasps from the crowd I am sure!) Ted is really adamant on this and I'm fine with it. He says that "people spend way too much time planning for things these days and don't know how to just let things happen," And while I think his reasoning is kinda funny, I do think there are some good reasons for keeping the gender unknown. No matter if it's a boy or a girl, I want to have everything in neutrals. We're obviously hoping to have (many) more and it just makes financial sense to spend money on things that will work for every child that may come into our home. Ted is beyond excited to hear those words "it's a _____!" He's so cute.

-4-
I don't like calling a human being "it" so I've been referring to this baby as "he" or "she" interchangeably. Sometimes I use one, sometimes the other. It's just whatever comes out first. But last night at a ladies' night out I actually said the words, "when the kids get here." I stopped myself right away, but it was too late. I think I may have actually put my hand over my mouth in shock, but that didn't stop my friend Angie from pointing it out. Freudian slip perhaps?? We'll know June 14th.

-5-
And I can't continue this post without mentioning my thoughts on multiples. Everyone has seen the ultrasound pictures from our follicle study. Yes, there were three. Yes, they all ruptured. Yes, that means three eggs. Does that mean I'll have triplets? Probably not. Most women on Clomid release more than one egg and over 90% of them only conceive one baby. Our doctor said that even with three eggs our chances of multiples were slim, especially for triplets. The thought of triplets actually terrifies me. Not the part about having three babies to take care of, but the part about having three babies INSIDE OF ME! I will obviously take whatever the good Lord gives, but my size makes me nervous. Those that know me know how small I am. And for those that don't, let's just say that I still shop in the juniors section.....the small end of it.....and okay okay, I still fit into little girls' clothes. Triplets just seem impossible.

-6-
But twins....now that's a different story. I wasn't really thinking about the possibility of twins until receiving so many comments from family, friends, and bloggers. I have actually always wanted twins. Two babies for the "price" of one? Does it get any better?? My mom is a twin. My grandma (dad's side) is a twin. And my grandma's aunt (or something like that) is a twin. That alone makes a person wonder. And then there's Ted's side. His uncles are twins. And if you go back just two more generations there are 11 sets of twins in his family!!! Yes, I said 11. You read that correctly. That brings the grand total to at least 15 sets of twins between the two us in the last three generations. So am I thinking twins are a possibility? You bet ya.

I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes for twins, however. Obviously the miracle of God creating just one life in the womb of a woman who never thought she would conceive is mind blowing. I trust that God will give us exactly what we need. He knows us much better than we know ourselves. Thank the Lord!

-7-
Over the last week and a half there have been many, many times in which I can't believe I'm pregnant. It just won't sink in that God has actually granted our request for children when I doubted for so long that it would ever happen. But I have been so humbled by learning about the power of prayer. I can't think of a single person we told (who knew of our struggles, which included almost everyone) that didn't respond with the words, "I've been praying for you!" We're talking beautiful, holy, God fearing people. That were praying for US! Why did I ever doubt that God would hear their prayers? And then I get stories from friends about how their children were praying for us. One little girl that I used to babysit took it upon herself to email the sisters and brothers at EWTN and ask them to pray for us to conceive. My friend just told me that her four year old daughter has been praying "St. Gerard, pray for Ms. Kaitlin" every night for a YEAR!! Ted's response: "I don't know if I even prayed that well every night for a year!"

I'm just in awe of the power of prayer. And regret that I ever doubted it.

19 comments:

  1. I totally shop in juniors when I can...most of the time it is cheaper! :)

    Thanks for sharing your heart through this blog. I will continue to pray for you, Ted and the baby/babies.
    A friend of mine went to the Holy Land this past Easter, and she was taking prayer requests to place at the Wailing Wall in Israel. I told her to pray for you and Ted. The power of prayer is amazing!

    Keep the hope and joy alive. The life within you deserves celebration. None of us know the number of days God has destined for us, but from the moment of conception, the world is forever changed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayer works wonders...I've seen it a million times in my life!! And even with all the answered prayers I've experienced I've allowed myself to doubt Him and His plan. Silly me! My DH and I attended a Healing Mission in our Church...we both asked for Healing of our infertility. We meant to do this anonymously, but it ended up most of the Church realized what we were asking for...in the next months people came up to me and said they were praying for us...it brought tears to my eyes! They were as sad as we were about the miscarriage, because they knew our story. It was at that point and seeing how prayer was really working for us that I have started asking for prayers. They work people!! Please know that prayers are coming from AZ too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to comment on your points :)

    #1 I think this is a reaction that we all have at one point or another...I don't think it's something to be ashamed of...and once you get that little baby in your hands, you will wonder how life could have been going on without him or her! It's truly amazing!

    #2 Celebrating the baby is the best advice I could give a pregnant woman! I wish I had had as much insight into this aspect before I had my first pregnancy loss. God is giving you some great graces to be able to deeply appreciate this from the very beginning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Oh my! Your post lately just have me crying. I have got to stop reading these at work. :) I think I'm going to have to comment on each of your points. :o)

    #1 I'm so glad you talked about this. I'm starting to think this is completely normal. To be honest, I've had this thought before and I'm not even pregnant. I think I feel like you. I just have so much love for Kevin that I have truly enjoyed each and ever second we have had together in this now almost 4 years of marriage.

    #2 PTL! I am so with you on this one! When I first found out that miscarriage was a huge risk for us I started thinking that maybe I shouldn't tell people right away because then I may have to tell them not so good news later one. But I hated the thought of that. I'm so happy I read your thoughts on this. It confirmed everything I was thinking deep down and one day when I hopefully have a little seedling of my own I too will shout it from the rooftops!

    #3 Ok, this is something I have really been thinking about lately. I always said I wanted to know b/c I'm such a planner but there is something about finding out at that very moment of birth. I actually want Kevin to be the one to announce it if we go the route.

    #4/5/6 That is a mighty big history of twins! I have an aunt who is 4 feet 9 and weighed about 90lbs before pregnancy. She had twins! You can totally do it! And yes! Twins are totally cool! Two for the price of one. :)

    #7 The power of prayer is amazing. The stories about the children praying for you really got me. This is just so beautiful!

    Congrats again! I am so so very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love every bit of this! You have such wisdom and insight. I am really excited to hear more from you as the pregnancy progresses. I love that you are waiting to find out the sex of the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Beautiful last sentence.

    2. Good for you!

    3. We were heading this way, then my husband suddenly changed his mind. I'm fine either way, but like you, I want neutral bedding so we can use it for as many children as possible... but now my husband has decided he wants gender specific bedding! It's quite funny. We probably will, just because he won't care about picking out any of the other baby stuff.

    7. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love that I can almost see you smiling when you write these posts! They are so filled with joy!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand. We conceived our first on our honeymoon, so we had nine months of 'just us'. Which wasn't really just us, because our daughter was there inside me. However, I enjoyed every moment of our time together, just the two of us. Now expecting my second, I try to enjoy every moment with my daughter, every moment of our life as a family of three. I try to get as much as I can out of every season of marriage and parenthood. They change so quickly!

    I loved this one. My second pregnancy ended in miscarriage (this is actually my third, but the second to make it). I think I will always regret that, because it came so close on the heels of our daughter's birth, we didn't celebrate as we should have. We were not mad about it, but we never fully enjoyed it as the miracle it was. I will never make that mistake again. Every child deserves to be loved wholeheartedly by his parents, from conception onwards, no matter what the circumstances.
    Yes! It is so awesome to find out the gender at birth. I do not get why everyone wants to know beforehand. It's not like you can change it anyways.
    Twins can be crazy. I have a brother and sister who are twins. It's crazy at first, but it's wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our son is 8 and I STILL can't wait for alone time with my husband! It's the best. After my son's bedtime is my favorite part of the day, and it has nothing to do with my son because as soon as he goes to bed I want to wake him up to see him again! It's just the marital bond...it's so strong. Enjoy! And yes, celebrate that life! That's exactly how we felt. And we were surprised with our son and it was truly wonderful, especially for my husband. He loved that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you mail me the envelope with the gender because I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!!! hahahahaha

    I don't go to the gas station to get something without my husband...We do nothing separate...I hate to be away from him...If he isn't home by 430pm every night I'm calling because I'm going through major withdraw! I know that feeling of everything is going to change...But it's great to think that the love multiplies because I'm just not sure it could get any better then this...But to see his excitment when he looks at my belly and laughs "saying OMGOSH you have a BUMP, take a picture" I literally want to die because of the overwhelming joy! ;)

    You are so cute!!!! I can't wait for that ultrasound!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ve been computerless with only my phone. I'm so behind, but catching up.

    I’m so happy for you guys and love that you are relishing every minute of this. I'd be pretty excited to see twins, too, but either way . . . what a blessing!

    (And on your post a couple days ago: I can’t believe you ran out of gas . . . AGAIN.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @1: Been there, done that. Totally normal!
    @2: Good for you! You are a MOTHER now, just like MARY, and no matter how this pregnancy ends, you will always be a Mom now. You co-created life!
    @3: I have a boy and a girl, and the gender specific clothes to prove it. When we get to number three (down the road) I won't find out either. It was nice to be able to address the babies with their proper names (see #4), but this time I want the surprise factor that your husband is aiming for!
    @6: I was told only the statistics on the mother's side count, but those are pretty impressive too!
    Kaitlin, I'm so very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! Great post. Little kid prayers are the best. :-)

    And with regards to #1, even though you won't get as much alone time with your hubby, you'll still get a little every once in awhile...and I bet that alone time will be even better when you have your little one(s)! This whole process has, and will continue to, bring the two of you closer together. So while the alone time will diminish, the love will only grow stronger. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS--Don't feel too bad about running out of gas (again). A few years ago I went through a phase where I frequently locked my keys in my car. I think I did it two or three times within a few months. And the worst part was, I didn't have a spare set! And one time it was the day I met DH's parents. Great first impression.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, don’t feel bad about running out of gas again. The fact that it happened a second time just completely blew my theory that I was so entertaining and enthralling to talk to that you failed to notice the “empty” gauge :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great attitude you have. Very interesting on the twins in your family. I'm definitely curious to see what you find out on June 14!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Multiples!? How wonderful that would be!
    I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great List!!
    Quick thought for #3: It was actually my husband that announced the sex ~ I will never forget the moment he told me it was E. who was joining our family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????? I have been too busy to be on blogger for a week and now I see this???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS KRISTIN!!!!!! oh my goodness, I know you are so excited, that is such wonderful, fantastic, unbelievable news!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!