Friday, December 17, 2010

It's Getting Hard

Thirty-three weeks. Seven and a half months. It's getting hard.

I realize I have been blessed with an incredibly easy pregnancy so far. The first trimester was full of nausea, but no vomiting. We got our happy positive on the second to last day of school, which meant I had the entire first trimester off work. And almost every moment of the second trimester was a blissful, surreal, positively giddy experience.

And it's over.

My back hurts. My legs hurt. My head hurts.

The grinding against my pelvic bone is so intense it causes me to wince and stops me in my tracks.

I've had a nasty, nasty cold for seven straight days now with no end in sight.

The weight gain and big belly that I so proudly boasted of just a few weeks ago are bringing. me. down.

Am I complaining? Absolutely not. Is this hard? Absolutely. This blog is a reflection of my life and I've never felt called to only write about the good things. This is the reality right now. And the reality is hard.

Last night I sobbed inconsolably for nearly 10 minutes because we didn't have any oreos in the house. Ted stopped in the middle of writing his thesis and made the trek (ok-it's only a mile and a half) to Walmart to get me some oreos and milk. Then I spent the rest of the evening feeling like a giant baby for forcing my husband to do something so ridiculous just so I could stop crying. It's just insane to have this much estrogen pulsing through your body!

It's suddenly as if every aspect of my life has become difficult. I get cramps in my legs just trying to get into the car. My contractions are strong enough to wake me up all night long. Getting out of bed to get to the bathroom is more like a gymnastic routine. And darnit, there is just no getting comfortable.

I love reading weekly updates of how big the baby is getting (almost 5 pounds already!!) but the weight gain is starting to get to me. I've gained over 30 pounds-which is a third of my pre-pregnancy body weight. I'm not sure it's possible to increase your body weight by 30% in just seven months and not feel like complete crap.

The first trimester only got easier and easier as time went on. The second trimester got more exciting by the minute as my belly grew and the kicks got stronger. But the third trimester is only getting worse. And yes, I realize it ends with the birth of my child-but the thought of another month and a half/two months of this is daunting, to say the least.

Does this post need a disclaimer? Perhaps. I know some of my readers might be upset that I would say anything negative about being pregnant. I am, after all, pregnant. And that means I'm going to have a baby. And I realize that many women would give their left arm to be in my shoes. I hope it's obvious that I am eternally grateful for the opportunity God has given me. But I'm also a weak, whiny human. And right now I just want to be able to fall asleep at 1:30 in the morning and wake up at 6:30 without a pounding headache and nose full of snot.

I also want to chronicle this pregnancy journey in its entirety. And with complete truthfulness. And while a very small part of me (very, very, very, very small) is grateful for this suffering so that I have more to offer up for my prayer buddy this Advent, mostly it's just hard.

I'm not asking for sympathy. Or pity. Or even prayers really (although those are always appreciated). I'm just getting this off my chest, out of my head, and trying to pass the time until I can fall asleep again.

I love you baby. You are worth it. Every second.

18 comments:

  1. I like that you are so honest! I've never been pregnant but I remember watching my twin go through it, and I am sure many women can relate to what you share here. I pray somehow the pains become more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA about the oreos!!!!

    I'm sorry it's so hard, sweet girl! I think you have every "right" to talk about how difficult it is. You don't feel well! It's natural!!! No worries on my part. Of course you know it's worth it- you can still vent!

    I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Hang in there! There is a beautiful end in sight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kaitlin.....I remember those nights when it is so hard to get out of bed and every step hurts. Your body is probably taking a beating since you were so tiny to begin with. Just know that your life is about to change for the better soon but will also be a new life of no sleeping, being spit up on, and crying that sometimes feels like it won't end. You are going to be such a great mommy and life is so wonderful after you have a sweet one in your arms. May God bless you and give you strength these next few weeks! I am so excited for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't apologize for keeping it real. Hope you have a restful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SO allowed to say every bit of this and more b/c it is the truth! "You can't gain a third of your body weight and not feel like crap" AMEN! A truer statement was never spoken. I was doing great until 28 weeks and then I went downhill every day. No wonder I felt overdue before I was 38 weeks. Yes, we cry over oreos (there are worse things to cry over, right?) and yes it is worth it. Doesn't mean it isn't tough to get to that end point. Having a newborn, tough too, but a different kind of tough. And also, oh so worth it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you guys stocked up on Oreos! Hope the pains get more bearable soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have thought long and hard about third trimester agony, and I have come to the conclusion that God allows us to suffer so that we might want even more passionately to see our baby and NOT be pregnant anymore! Otherwise, we'd be so sad that pregnancy was over we'd be depressed. That's my conclusion! I hope you feel better VERY soon!!! Well, not too soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The oreos story is classic!! Put that in the baby book. :)

    But I am so very sorry that you are suffering now. It is not easy and you don't have to pretend that it is. We know how much gratitude you have for this pregnancy and this baby, so don't worry about that. Keep it real, and we will keep praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry you are struggling so now! I know you are willing to go this distance and more for this much-wanted child, but it doesn't mean the journey is a cake-walk. Prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey pregnancy is tough! Hormones make you crazy (Umm...it IS embarrassing that I started crying during The Lion King yesterday) and carrying around all the extra weight is no easy task (I feel like I'm already at the gymnastics routine to get out of bed for the bathroom part). Praying for you! You WILL make it, I promise!

    And I just noticed (and love) that your ticker is a watermelon! That is absolutely cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi MLM,

    I am an occasional lurker and good friend of Jer 29:11, whose blog I read regularly. I loved your blog title when I saw it on her page once, so I occasionally peek in on your story! (I also love rejoicing in all the IF stories turned miraculous parenting journeys!!!)

    I did not struggle with IF myself, but have a 2.5 yr old and another on the way. I found with N, my first, that 3rd trimester was very trying, even though I had no complications. The weight and strain are just a lot for anyone to bear, especially someone with a smaller frame (and for me, not much muscle to boot!) What I started to kind of faintly realize, and DEFINITELY after the fact, was that 3rd trimester is massive bodily prep for the demands of mothering. It takes a LOT to be up at night breastfeeding, the hormones shifts are powerful, and that baby is front and center 24-7. This is something we all REJOICE over! Yet, it takes some real human preparations for us in our weakness. Not to worry - there is also some major relief at "getting your body back" after childbirth - not in the way of appearance (that takes a bit longer), but almost immediate relief from the bulge, pressure, bladder issues, etc., which helps emphasize the joy of holding that little one in your arms even more. But like I said, a whole new set of demands (physical and emotional/mental) come with that beautiful thing called birth. So, in my humble opinion, new moms should consider that rough 3rd tri new-mommy-boot camp and just pray for patience and take it as easy as possible, being gentle with your body which is working overtime to get ready.

    God's blessings and all the best to you this Christmas and in your pregnancy and birth! Though we've never met, I'm so happy for you and I'm grateful for your witness to Christ!

    Your Sister in Christ,
    L

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Oreo part made me laugh out loud. Sweet Ted. :)
    Praying for you that God will fill you with His grace to get through the next few months! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What? Is it not normal to cry when you are oreo-less? ;)

    I'm so sorry, K. You are such a itty bitty thing to begin with that I just cannot image how difficult it is physically right now. Big hugs and I hope this final stretch goes quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually enjoy reading these posts to the "everything's perfect and life is grand and full of rainbows" posts! It's more honest! (Not for you specifically, for everybody.) And of COURSE there are going to be struggles in pregnancy just like there are in motherhood. The major difference is that you now KNOW the endpoint to the suffering, so dare I say it may be easier for you to get through each day knowing it won't last more than 2 more months at the most. Whereas the suffering of IF has no end in sight and can thus be unbearable. Of course, no suffering is fun!! But it's all worthwhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can completely relate to this post, as I am 38 weeks tomorrow. So ready for her to arrive!

    I made my husband leave late at night last week to get me ricola and a thermometer. But oreos are so much better. :)

    Praying you have a safe and healthy final weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the encouragement everyone! The cold is FINALLY getting better. Pregnancy pains are much easier to handle without the added stress of a cold.

    And TCIE-you are completely right! That is a major difference-knowing that the "end" is in sight. It helps to have people around (Ted especially!) that can remind me of that when I start to forget.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!