Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Front Porch

There's this house on my favorite street in town. It's huge and white and old and has a wraparound porch with rocking chairs and a porch swing. Because of its location, I drive by it almost every single day. And at all times of the day. I've driven by this house at 7:00 in the morning, 2:00 in the afternoon, 5:30 in the evening, 8:00 at night, and just about every time in between.

Even after two years of seeing this house almost daily, it still catches my attention. I find myself daydreaming about what the inside looks like. I picture gorgeous hardwood floors and a big wooden staircase. Lightweight, white curtains blowing in the breeze. A kitchen with an island in the middle and a 12 seat table perfect for Christmas dinner.

And kids running down the stairs. A pastel painted baby room tucked away on the second floor. A giant, four post king sized bed with hotel quality bedding.

But mostly I think about that porch. About all the memories that I could build there. Swinging with my husband in the evenings after the kids are in bed. Playing with trucks and trains with my toddler on the side porch when it gets the afternoon shade. Drinking sweet tea with friends that stop to say hi.

And I'm overcome with jealousy.

But I realized something today.

I've never once, in my two years of lusting, seen anyone sitting on that porch.

What good is a wraparound porch if you don't enjoy it? Is the mortgage payment so high for such a beautiful home that mom and dad are working overtime every evening? Are the kids signed up for so many activities that playing and relaxing on their front porch is an impossibility?

If so, I'm not jealous of those porch owners anymore. Maybe I'd rather be snuggling my husband on a porch swing while watching the sunset, but at least I'm snuggling him on the couch in the living room. Maybe I'd rather be rocking Hannah outside on a beautiful afternoon, but at least I'm rocking her in our squished little bedroom.

I really do hope to have a nice front porch someday. But not at the expense of being able to enjoy it.

15 comments:

  1. I too dream of a front porch. I always tell Derrick, I don't care how big the house is inside, I just want a nice big front porch! But you are right, it isn't worth it if you don't have the time or money to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another front porch-longing lady here. But that's really a great point - I never see anyone on the gorgeous ones I drive by, either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a street in our town with homes much the same. I drive down it regularly and "pick" which one I want! But it too seems lifeless. I never see kids playing. Ever. The homes are gorgeous. But no kids. Our very modest subdivision (our house being the smallest!) has tons of kids playing outside all the time. We don't have a front porch, heck we don't even have a deck out back! But we have our boys and they have neighbor friends. And we're grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the same way whenever I see houses like that! but I don't think I want SO MUCH HOUSE! too much money and it'd need to much upkeep... but the porch... I agree :) :) :) ! I also really like sunrooms. Ahh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the exact same way! Quality family time is so much more important (even if the house IS really pretty!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, Kaitlin!!!! A phrase has been roaming around in my head lately- "Never compare your internals to another's externals." Looks like you zeroed in on your internals and chose to appreciate what you've got! I love it!!! Y'all are the cutest couple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I ghost wrote this post!! On my afternoon walks I see older homes with lazy long porches and get green with envy :( Never thought about the angle you slapped on it though! I have rarely seen anyone enjoying the porches either....We have a porch but it is so small and thin, it is fairly impossible to sit on the chairs without some serious contortunist type moves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just need to find a cheap rent house with a front porch like ours (if any more exist...). Until then, you and your beautiful family are welcome any time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a great writer! I love this post. Such a great devotional piece to remind us what is important in life!!
    We bought a huge house many years ago because I wanted to fill it with kids. We spent and lost so much money on the house that it put us behind in our adoption journey. Lesson learned. Now, we have a modest house in a modest neighborhood, but the most precious daughter in the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The way you spoke of how you imagined the front porch to be... is exactly how the Andersons' front porch is. Late night theological talks with the parish priest, sipping sweet tea and swatting mosquitoes, covering up cold legs as the night air comes in, kids running in, out, up, down, and around.

    I guess some people get both. :)

    You're right. Everyone has a "front porch" and we all need to use 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. I get such house envy sometimes and get down on our own beautiful, warm, safe (albeit small!) place to call home. But you've reminded me that what matters are the people inside and how we love each other. There may be a big house with a wrap-around porch someday, but there will never be another right now, when we're right here, as we are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great post! I love porches... and have definitely imagined a swing on such with a nice glass of lemonade or iced tea on a summer evening. :) I don't know if you follow Sarah at Clover Lane, but she has two awesome posts on houses - 1 on how she found hers and another on house envy.

    http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/search/label/House%20Love

    http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/search/label/On%20Jealousy

    I've read them a few times when I'm experiencing "house" envy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katie - your post made me think about the things we have at home, but we don't really take advantage of. Our deck, our pergola by the pond. Life with small kids and full time jobs keeps us running around and tired and it makes me realize that I need to "stop and smell the roses" at home. Perhaps the people who have the front porch just kind of forget what they have and take it for granted. It's sad, but it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great point! I have fond memories of playing on my grandma's front porch and now dh and I make good use of the porch swing on our deck. We are grateful to live in a neighborhood where most folks enjoy being outside.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Been there, done that! You practice gratitude for where you are baby. You are a RICH woman indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!