Call it what you will-crunchy, granola, green. I really don't care. There are aspects of our life that definitely fit this hippy, earth loving category and other aspects that fall far from the green tree. More often than not, my motivation for doing something seemingly "green" comes down to money.
I'm a pretty frugal person. Like, really, really frugal. Exceptionally frugal.
Ok. Ok. I'm cheap.
How cheap? Ted texted my dad a picture of Hannah. My dad replied, "It looks like she's storing peanuts in those cheeks!". Ted responded, "Ha. She's sneaking them into the ballpark because they're too expensive inside." To which my dad said, "Oh, so she doesn't just look like Katie...."
Ouch.
But when all three years of our marriage have been spent with at least one spouse in graduate school, cheap isn't an option-it's a necessity. In an effort to help others who may not have access to that ever elusive money tree, I'm going to lay out some of the things we do that could be considered green. A few might surprise you. And not all of them are done for the savings.....
The most obvious aspect of our so-called crunchy life would have to be cloth diapers. When money isn't readily available, we try to save as much as we can by not buying things that are just going to be thrown away. Using disposable diapers just feels like pouring cash directly into the trash can. A very poopy trash can.
We spent a few hundred dollars (about 350 I think) on our entire cloth stash. Almost all of that was money we got from baby showers. We definitely could have done it for cheaper (by buying a different kind of diaper or buying used) but I wanted to get something that would hold up should God choose to bless us with more butts to diaper.
We have 18 BumGenius 4.0 with snaps and one Fuzzi Bunz that we use for a swim diaper. All of them are adjustable-we will never need to buy another diaper for Hannah as they will grow with her until she's potty trained. We stuff them with an extra hemp insert at night and rarely have to change a diaper in the middle of the night.
We also use cloth wipes, which just make sense if you're already using cloth diapers. Our wipes are a collection of BumGenius wipes and random baby washcloths. We have a water bottle by the changing station that we use to spray the wipes before we use them.
All of it gets thrown in the wash every two to three days. Some might argue that the increased water bill offsets the savings from using cloth diapers, but I would have to disagree. Our water bill increased about four bucks a month since having Hannah. Even if all of that was cloth diapers-it would still be a dramatic savings. But we do double the laundry now even if you exclude the diapers! Just washing burp rags and onesies alone would have increased our water bill, so the expense for washing the diapers is negligible.
Regular detergents are harmful to cloth diapers, so special soap must be used. I make my own detergent, again, because I'm cheap. It's a combo of borax, washing soda, and Oxy Clean. Works great. Costs pennies per wash. Score.
Since diaper rash is rare with cloth babies, we don't have to spend money on yucky diaper creams!
The only aspect of cloth diapering that we don't do is line drying. But you better believe that as soon as I get a clothes line these puppies will be hanging from it every other day!
Is it extra work? Yes. Is it worth it? You bet. Other benefits of cloth: it's obviously better for the environment and arguably better for baby. And while I'm glad these are benefits-they're definitely not why we chose cloth. When it's all said and done, it comes down to saving money.
Do you use cloth diapers? Do you have any questions about how to make it work?
I'm planning to use cloth diapers (my husband is a grad student, so it's for the same money-saving reason). I'd be interested in your recipe for detergent.
ReplyDeleteJust equal parts Borax, OxyClean, and Arm and Hammer washing soda. I got the recipe from my friend Laura at Messy Messy Life and I would link to her if I knew how to link in a comment box! I use about a tablespoon and a half for each load.
ReplyDeleteHave you used the cloth diapers from birth?
ReplyDeleteHow long would you say you spend per week washing the diapers?
How long do the diapers take to dry in the dryer?
18 is enough even if you start from birth?
How did you decide on the bumgenius?
Love.
ReplyDeleteI used my own washing detergent (a little different than Laura's recipe but basically the same) when Tripp was a baby but then we had really hard water where we lived and the only time I ever had build up on diapers was the first few months when I used it and so, I switche dto Charlie's Soap and never looked back. I wonder though, if you're not having issues w/ Starkvegas water if I should delve back in to it...hmmm...
Yay for cloth diapers! We use them as well, and just like you, it's mostly for the cost savings.
ReplyDeleteI was also so excited to dry my diapers on the line this summer. I had my husband hang a clothesline for me in the backyard. I hung up all the freshly-washed dipes and covers, and took stood there gazing at the lovely sight....BUT, it wasn't what I'd hoped. The diapers dry up completely stiff and hard. They were barely even bendable! So I've resorted back to using the drier, which gets them nice and fluffy....
Of course, we use mostly pre-folds. We have a couple BG's, and...I'm trying to remember...but I think they may actually have dried alright on the line. So good luck with it!
I might consider cloth diapers for baby #2. I know I can ask you for advice if we choose to go that route. Great info here. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteWe used them for our boys due to sensitive skin. They were much easier than I expected.
ReplyDeleteI use cloth. I tried line drying, but they ended up very stiff and rough-feeling. Maria didn't like them that way, so I went back to the dryer. I line dry everything else...okay, except for whites because I hate hanging up 50 bajillion socks.
ReplyDeleteDe-lurking here, love your blog! I don't have a baby yet, but I am 38 weeks preggo tomorrow and just ordered a dozen 4.0 bumgenius diapers (with snaps!) the other day. They came today and I am DYING to use them -- I'm almost as excited as I am to have the baby, hahaha.
ReplyDeleteQuick question: Where do you buy Borax and Washing Soda? Oxyclean I know you can pick up at the local target, but I have never seen Borax or washing soda on sale there. Where did you get yours? Have you tried any other detergent brands like 7th generation, etc? I'm super nervous to wash them tomorrow because I'm nervous I'll ruin them with the wrong laundry soap, lol.
Great post!
I LOVE our cloth diapers! LOVE THEM! Like you I chose or more for the money aspect of it. I'll admit it, I'm cheap. Really cheap!
ReplyDeleteI was fortunate enough to have a sister who had already cloth diapered her 2nd son's little booty through potty training and was already building her stash for her daughter on the way. I got tons of info from her and she let me use a little bit of each type of diaper from her stash so I could see what I liked.
We use a few different types. Covers (Thirsties Duo, Fishnoodles, and a few random others) with inserts, prefolds, and a few fitteds and Grovia AI2's. These are super nice when you are out all day! I'm also excited to try the disposable inserts when we go on our beach trip on August.
We didn't start cloth diapering until MG was about 1 1/2 months old. This was mostly because I just took forever to decide what I wanted. :)
I can't wait to start using our cloth diapers!! We have nearly enough already, but have registered for a few more. Our main reason for using them is also money. And I don't like all the "goo" that gets left on babies bottoms from disposables!
ReplyDeleteWell I have a two month old and started cloth two days ago. With EC, the first day we only went through two and no poop to clean up. I have to say I feel like I don't rinse them enough before putting them in the wash and I'm curious where you got the cloth wipes. I'm still using disposible because I have them and I wasn't sure if we would stick with cloth (got them free on loan from a friend). Haven't washed any yet
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am always so impressed with the use of cloth diapers, and I was sure I was going to use them with this baby. But....I have to be honest, if we have two babies, I don't see how I can manage it??
ReplyDeleteWhat happens when you are out and about and baby has poopie diaper??? I'm just trying to think of all scenarios before diving in!
ReplyDeleteWe love our cloth diapers so it is always fun to come across others who do as well! I would add that it is much easier to use cloth on the go (as well as for longer travel) than people think. You simply use a wet bag - which you can find on any cloth diapering store's website; our favorites are "Wet Happened" zipper bags - and it keeps all the wet and the smell safely tucked away from the rest of your diaper bag, even if it is a poopy diaper! Flip disposable inserts are a nice option for travel/outings as well. They are relatively cheap and I believe they fit in BumGenius as well b/c it's the same manufacturer.
ReplyDeleteOh, good timing!
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking that the internet has failed me--we want to use cloth diapers, but we have no idea where to start. All the websites talk about it like you already know the differences between diapers and how to clean them, etc., and we don't.
Help?
So many great questions! I'll get a second post up soon answering them!
ReplyDeleteI used cloth diapers with all six of my children. The only time any of them got diaper rash was when we used disposables on vacation. I loved using cloth. I didn't mind washing them at all. In fact, there is something very satisfying in washing them and seeing them waving in the breeze on the clothesline all sparkling white again. And they're definitely more comfortable for baby.
ReplyDeleteThis is just a question out of curiosity: how exactly is the deal before throwing them in the washer (pre-cleaning them-wise?
ReplyDelete