Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hurt

Yesterday was a bad day. A very bad day. Without going into too much detail on this oh-so-public forum, Ted got another rejection on a job that would have been perfect for him. He was the "second" choice. That's the fourth time he's been "second". But who's counting?

And I'm really struggling. And I can't find balance.

Balance between being thankful for what I have and mourning what's still missing.

Balance between blogging about the good things in my life and being fake about the hurt and fear that looms over my head.

Balance always eludes me.

It's not that he didn't get the job. (well, it is I guess). It's a dream shattered. A plan dashed. We were so close. A tiny little house. Maybe a yard big enough for a garden. A husband with a job. A bedroom for our daughter. We allowed ourselves to hope. To daydream. To get excited.

And just like that-it's over. We're stuck in our month-by-month too small apartment playing role reversal while I go to work all day and Ted plays Mr. Mom.

He's a wonderful stay-at-home dad. Absolutely wonderful. And I'm a good therapist. It's not that. It's just not what we feel called to do. He wants so badly to work and I want so badly to be with Hannah.

This plan was supposed to be temporary. In a single day it's gone from temporary to indefinite.

And I didn't expect the pain of infertility to come flooding back the way it did. That old familiar feeling of wanting something so badly. Something good! Something honorable! And not being able to do anything to make it happen. Coming to the cold, harsh realization that God's plan isn't the same as yours. And your mind tells you that His plan is better, but your heart just cries and cries.

Of course it's different than waiting for Hannah. She's here. And she's powerful balm for a hurting soul. But not being able to provide her with the kind of life we know she deserves is a completely new wound. And I haven't found the healing balm for that one yet.

And it just sucks to not get what you want. As whiney as that sounds. It just sucks.

And of course I realize that this is an opportunity to prove my trust and faith in God's plan for our life. But I'm so full of hurt and anger that I can't get to trust and faith. I will. But not now. Didn't I already prove that? Didn't I faithfully wait for two years for that sweet angel sleeping in the next room? What? That wasn't enough? He wants more?? Sigh.

But that was yesterday. And after I drug myself out of bed this morning and realized that it wasn't all a bad dream and there's no one popping out to say we're on candid camera, things slowly got better.

Healing came in the form of 16 ounces of Pepsi from a sweet little three year old. And a nice talk with a 59 year old friend. A fitting passage from a blogger well versed in her Bible. And an explosive diaper that ended up in her hair and had us laughing and working as the well oiled team we've always been. And this:




The two of them, a beautiful lake, and a sunset can make anything seem better.

Tonight, I'm counting my blessings. A husband who is better than I deserve. Better than anyone deserves. A rock solid marriage. A daughter that...I can't even being to describe how perfect she is. A warm place to live. Supportive friends. A family that loves us. Enough money for food. A steady source of income.

It really is so much. 

It doesn't take away the hurt. But it makes the hurt more bearable.

"No trial has come to you except what is human.  God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it."  1 Cor 10:13

34 comments:

  1. Yep. Rock Solid. I love you. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlin,

    I am so sorry to hear that Ted's job hunt has been so melancholic for you. With regards to balance, I certainly understand what you are dealing with! I am reminded of what a good Capuchin friar told me on a day of recollection. We as Christians are meant to be the fulcrum of the see-saw. The world around us may be tumultuous and frantic, but we must be rooted and centered on Christ! I hope that this helps. For me, this imagery has been very helpful -- although, I think that this striving for balance is a cross we will all carry until our dying day. Good luck and know of my prayers to God and the Blessed Mother for all the graces you will need!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry it's been so hard. I've been praying for you guys ever since we met a few months ago. You are right though, that sweet little face and your rock solid marriage are wonderful and do make things a whole lot brighter. And like you, I need to start counting my blessings. Sometimes it's so hard to do when thugs aren't going right.

    You know, I had a dream about you guys last night. You had moved in across the street. It was awesome! :)

    I just realized I didn't email you back. I'll do that in a few minutes. It's been a crazy few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry things are so difficult. I hope you are able to reverse roles soon for everyone's peace of mind. Hang in there. Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right that even though you may know that God has a fantastic plan, it can still hurt in the unfolding of it. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the disappointments, glad that today is looking a little brighter ~ prayers and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love all three of you! (And my computer's not showing the first and third photo... maybe it's just us though.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can understand the job stress! We were there ourselves not long ago. The right job will come along at the right time.

    Don't beat yourself up over the things you can't give Hannah right now. The life she deserves is to be happy and healthy, and infinitely loved by her parents. And she has those things!! Everything else is secondary. She seems like the happiest little girl, and it's not a bedroom that's making her happy--it's her awesome mom and dad!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you're disappointed Kaitlyn, but you said it so well with this... "Tonight, I'm counting my blessings. A husband who is better than I deserve. Better than anyone deserves. A rock solid marriage. A daughter that...I can't even being to describe how perfect she is. A warm place to live. Supportive friends. A family that loves us. Enough money for food. A steady source of income"

    Sometimes we need to count our blessings and then, count them again ;) Hugs! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding this to my daily prayers RIGHT NOW! Job stress can be so upsetting!!!! Sending all 3 of you big hugs. So glad you can find the bright spot in this, and very glad that you're being honest and open about it! HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the honesty of this post. It IS hard to strike that balance- even the balance of just letting yourself hurt instead of pretending everything is okay. Let the feelings come and turn them over to the Lord. I"m so glad the verses helped. I've been praying for you. My heart is aching with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry for what you're going through. I'll be praying for your husband to find a job. On a side note, your daughter is beautiful! What a blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have so much more than I have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry, Kaitlin! I know it's tough getting that news. You are absolutely right to be disappointed and angry, but just know there are brighter days ahead. Y'all will continue to be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thinking of you friend. Praying that the next job is Ted's. He deserves it. Love the pics. Hannah is just a doll baby. Loves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Kaitlin, we've so been there with you! I totally understand how you're hurting. And even if you have way more than others have, it doesn't mean you aren't in pain or shouldn't share your pain. It's very, very real.

    Mike's job was so unstable for so many years. We felt slapped in the face time and time again. I can truly say, after 12 long, agonizing years of job struggles, now that he has a stable, secure job there is a HUGE weight lifted. That pressure is unlike any other, we think. It's just so pervasive and affects so many things.

    But you are in the Refiner's fire. God is making you and Ted into beautiful people during this tough time. You will have empathy and compassion for others that you would never have had you not gone through this. I know that might be hard to hear NOW, but it's the truth. He is stripping your pride and it's painful. Not that I think you're prideful! I just know cuz we've been there too.

    I should really have emailed you because this is long! Praying for you and Ted and your journey through this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I just say your words really resonated with me today? I had a meltdown today over the unexpected role I've been in... working two jobs and frankly, miserable over it. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Katie, I appreciate your honesty --I know exactly what I can pray for you and your family.

    Life can be confusing, knowing what's in our hands and what's not. You are strong, smart, and faithful. I know you can handle well any situation handed to you. However, it's that fine line between "our control" and "His will" that's difficult.

    I'm praying for that continued remembrance of blessings until it's time for the switch you seek.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can so relate to this. For the past few years I have been the major breadwinner as DH has gone for many interviews and been the runner-up more often than I can count.

    Right now he has got steady work until November but it is in another province, so I am working fulltime and looking after the kids on my own for several weeks at a time. It is easier because my kids are older (7 yo and 5yo) ... but it is certainly not what we planned.

    Still, as you wrote - there are so many blessings to be thankful for. I try to focus on that instead of the frustration - but htere are days it is difficult.

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  20. i know the feeling all too well. dwell in hope.

    prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That hurt to read, about the near miss. :( But I love that you see things as a little brighter today! It's hard not to smile with all those blessings surrounding you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I relate. Very well. There's been many a time I've been runner up for jobs as well. There's not much a person can say to you to make it better; it just hurts.

    All I can offer is this: you've got the right attitude. The only thing that is going to get you over the hurt is to look around you and be thankful for all the things you have already been given (or at least it's what has worked for me). And not to get bitter and jaded, and staying thankful is a major part of that.

    You guys are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope it gets better soon. So glad you can still count your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Kaitlin--that was one of the most difficult yet beautiful reflections to read. I'm so sorry about the job stress. But--God love you--I needed to read your reflections today and hear your response to the hand you've been dealt. I pray that Ted finds employment soon and that you can stay home with your sweet little girl full time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We're on the other side of similar situations. Prayers for your heart and mind, for a job, for peace. Come Lord Jesus! Anything I can say is what you already know: God has a plan. But you know that. But really, I've lived in waiting and want and now in His abundance (for us). He really does have a plan! I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh i'm so sorry! I hope this job disappointment happened because God is holding out for something even better:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Keep reminding yourself that, unlike last time, you have Hannah! At praymorenovenas.com a novena to St Jude will be started this wednesday, asking for his intercession could help. Better times will come, hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You and Ted have every right to feel the way you do! St. Joseph intercede. Ted needs a great job! Baby Hannah has the world and everything she absolutely needs but Ted deserves to be able to go to work and bring home the bacon and Mommy deserves not to have all this pressure. SOON, things are going to turn around so fast this whole phase will be a believe it or not, funny, happy, can't believe we lived through that memory! Your family is so precious and beloved to God and you will have abundant blessings beyond your imaginings. I think God is preparing you guys for something so big that this was your training ground. God is preparing a BETTER than you could have imagined job for Ted. Hang in there. Good things are coming to your household.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This just stinks. Period! I am so sorry about the current situation. Your frustration is understandable and I will pray for your intentions. I LOVE the gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so sorry you're having a hard time! I know it is frustrating. I just have to say that from only "knowing" you through your blog, your little family is full of so much love and joy that you are giving your daughter so much more than many children receive! Even in a small apartment you can have big love! It is natural to want to give our children more, make their life better...but the love of her mommy and daddy is one of the best gifts of all. :) She IS blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ooh, I know there's many disappointments and hurts in that, but please DON'T let one be on account of your daughter! I came from a family situation of similar difficulties, and it would have been an absurdity (and made me so sad too!) to think that my parents were AT ALL wishing or feeling that they weren't providing for ME what they wished they could! Love and happiness are ALL, even when kids sleep under the table because there are no beds or space for beds.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, you had to wait 2 whole years (during your 20's, no less) to wait for a baby. What suffering!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Anonymous (from Nov 5). If you're suffering from the pain of infertility, you can find support support in this online Catholic community. We are women of many ages, diagnoses, and treatments. Some of us only had to wait a few months and some suffered as long as 11 years. But we encourage, support, and pray for one another and we don' compare crosses. It's a wonderful community of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  34. May you should. Compare crosses that is. Because I honestly think you could use some perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!