Saturday, October 22, 2011

My New To-Do

We've been living our life in waiting mode for far too long. We've based so many decisions around "we might not be here much longer" and put so many things off "until we move". I've spent the last week and a half coming to terms with our new reality. It hasn't been easy.

My new to-do list:

1. Organize the bookshelf in the living room. It's over-cluttered and starting to look junky. I've been wanting to do it for weeks but kept thinking, "why organize it now-I'll just be boxing it up any day now....."

2. Find some new dress pants that actually fit. I've put this one off hoping that my next job wouldn't require me to dress up. Maybe I would get to wear jeans, or scrubs, or pajama pants..... A girl can dream right?  Well as of right now-I will be working in my current job for the winter and have no dress pants that fit my breastfeeding body. Shopping trip sometime this week.

3. Bring home the boxes I have stored at my office. Yes-we were that sure he was going to get this job. Yes-I've been saving  boxes for weeks thinking we would be moving back to be near our families. I have quite the collection. I've decided to bring them home and store crap in them that has been cluttering up the apartment. Definitely a let-down. But necessary nonetheless.

4. Get a new toilet bowl scrubber! Ours is rusty. Can plastic bristles get rusty?? Well they did. And I think it makes the toilet dirtier than before I scrubbed it. I've literally been waiting months to buy a new one because a toilet bowl scrubber isn't something you really want to put in a moving van. "I'll just buy one when we get to our new home." Well this is our home now and our toilet is dirty. I've decided to splurge and get a $5 scrubber next time I go to walmart.

While I do actually intend to do each of the things on this list-the most important thing I need "to-do" right now is learn to live in the moment. Learn to love this life-right now. Not the one that we thought was going to happen. Our dream and goal was dangled before our eyes and ripped away from us. But we still have a lot of good stuff going for us right here, right where we are now. 

And while I envisioned our first pumpkin patch pictures taking place in Missouri, the pumpkins in Mississippi were pretty good too.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Kaitlin,
    I've been reading (lurking on?) your blog for a while now... I never commented before but your past two posts really struck me. Our situation is not like yours, but my feelings have been so much the same:

    "Learn to love this life-right now. Not the one that we thought was going to happen. Our dream and goal was dangled before our eyes and ripped away from us. But we still have a lot of good stuff going for us right here, right where we are now. "

    I was just thinking about that a lot yesterday. Friday was a bad day, and yesterday I too took a baby to a pumpkin patch (not my own though lol). It was such a beautiful day and I realized how much I need to be enjoying each day for itself and not dwelling on the "what ifs" and "when?s."

    So, thank you so much for this post, and I will remember you in my prayers at Mass today. And Hannah definitely is "cute as a button."

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been living in my brain? I've been working on a post about this very same thing. It was supposed to go up on Friday (our 5th wedding anniversary) but I accidentally deleted it. :/

    As I'm working on also living in the moment I will be sure to pray that you are doing the same thing. I know how hard it can be when you have all of the dreams before you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so related with that, especially the bookcase and the toilet scrubber. I did that for 6 months before we bought and moved into our house. Also, that picture of your daughter...adorable! She looks so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this post! You are already receiving abundant graces by accepting your "duty of the moment". I can tell in your writing. So, while we remain hopeful for good things to come, we embrace the good of today and praise the Lord for His goodness to us right now. Thank you for this reminder! You're awesome.

    And Hannah is just beyond adorable in that picture! Looks like she had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want you to know that thanks to your blog I am going to cloth diaper this time around! My baby girl is due end of Dec/early Jan. All of my friends think I am a nut but I don't care! I read your blog over and over until I felt like I really understood it. Just wanted to say thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your header!! :)
    #4 haha... I had this old one for a while and finally splurged! Too funny.

    Great pumpkin patch picture!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Kaitlin. It's not easy, but it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you new blog header! Things will get better:) What a fantastic picture of your little pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I definitely can relate. Since we have no idea where we'll be after my husband graduates in May, I haven't really made this place a home. But I want our little one to actually come "home" so I need to start making it more homey. I definitely am always thinking about how it will be in the future, so much so that I forget to enjoy the present. I think we have very similar personalities!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!