Tuesday, December 13, 2011

An Opportunity

May 2009: Move to Mississippi for two years. Get Ted a master's degree and move back to Missouri. Get a job near family.

That was the plan anyway. Two and half years later......we're moving to Florida.

After months of being a terrific stay-at-home dad, Ted has been offered a dream position as a Fisheries Biologist. We are so grateful. And excited. And scared. But excited.

If you refer back to our plan, you might think this isn't something that we want-but that's not the case at all. Actually-if you had asked me a week ago if I wanted to move to Florida I would have said, "No way!" Two days after Ted's interview in Florida, he had an interview in Missouri. And not just anywhere in Missouri. The town where we met, fell in love, shared our first home. The job was in the same office that he had worked in, with the same co-workers he had worked with. Perfect. Right?

I wanted him to get the Missouri job so badly. We employed St. Rose Phillipine Duchesne to pray for us to get the job. She is Hannah's patron and patron of the diocese that the job is in. We prayed, not one, but two novenas asking for her intercession. I found myself walking around whispering, "Please Lord. The job in Missouri."

So we went for the interview. We hadn't been to our beloved town since the day we moved out in May 2009. Our excitement and anticipation was palpable. And when we pulled into town.....nothing. I can't put my finger on it, but something was different. Yes, the town had changed and many friends were gone-but I was prepared for that. It was something else. After just a few hours in town I turned to Ted and said, "This feels weird." He agreed. The job we had been hoping and praying for suddenly didn't seem like a great fit.

He went to the interview. He did well. I had an interview too-for my part-time "dream job" with a place I interned with in grad school. They offered it to me on the spot (oh how I love my career field!) I would have worked just two or three days a week. I just needed to find someone to watch Hannah.....Then my sister (who now goes to college there) informed me that she was looking for a job just two days a week. Wow. Perfect. Right?

As we drove back to Mississippi we were both filled with the sense that we wouldn't be returning any time soon. And suddenly, Florida started to feel like a very real possibility. By Tuesday, I knew he was going to get the job. I just knew. And I was strangely ok with it. When I got home from work on Thursday and Ted excitedly announced the good news (via Hannah holding up a little sign) I wasn't shocked. I wasn't scared. I was....at peace. A week ago I would have freaked out. But that was a week ago. And today-today I'm excited.

Excited for this next adventure. Excited for the chance to grow even closer as a family as we rely completely on each other in a town that neither of us has ever stepped foot in.

When I was searching for a novena to St. Rose I got an email about a novena for the Immaculate Conception. Something prompted me to say the novena, but I pushed it aside. "No-I'm praying to St. Rose because she will help us get the Missouri job!" Funny how I thought I could manipulate the situation.

Ted got the Florida offer on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Perfect. Yes.

The last line in the gospel at Mass that evening: "Let it be done unto me according to Thy word." Of all the passages in the Bible-that's the one I chose two years ago to display on my blog. More Like Mary. Have I lived up to it? Far from it. Is God giving me another chance? Another opportunity? Always. And this one's a big one. So I'm opening my heart and my mind and trusting that He has something great in store for us in Florida.  He has prepared my heart as only He can do. He has gently led me along the trials of this job search and brought me to a place of peace and willingness that I didn't know I could get to.

Sometimes I struggle with the idea that God is really "in control." I tend to over emphasize our free will and wrestle with the notion that God really does have a "plan" for us. But I promise you-this wasn't our plan. I couldn't have even come up with this plan! It's only from God. Ted applied for so many jobs in Missouri and in surrounding states. And many of them would have been settling. He was willing to settle on a less-than-perfect job so he could provide for our family and move us closer to family. The fact that he didn't get some of the jobs he applied for defies logic. And, as with so many things in retrospect, I can see that God's hand was in it the entire time.

So, while it won't be on a donkey and I'm not pregnant, this Advent provides me with yet another opportunity to become more like Mary. Follow my husband. Trust my husband. Trust my God. And move to Florida.

25 comments:

  1. I'm glad Ted got a job as you wanted and I wish all the best on this new chapter of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to all three of you! Only God can give you a peace like which you've described. I am so thrilled, especially for Ted. I remember the place my husband was in after being unemployed for 2 years immediately after our son was born...and that was anything but God's peace. I'll be praying for you as you become Floridians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Hope the move goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! When you have that much peace, it seems there's not much question Whose hand is in it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the job! All will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is SO COOL to see God's hand at work in all of this. He has good things planned for your family and I can't wait to watch it all unfold! Congratulations and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post really spoke to me. And congrats on the next life adventure as a family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you ~ keeping your heart open!
    Good luck with the move and transition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A year and a half ago, my husband and I took a big leap too and moved from our comfort zone of the Great Lakes and headed to the land of Flannery O'Connor (aka, South Georgia). Lots of letting go and trusting at that point, but it has been the best for our family.

    I pray that your Florida move and your husband's job is successful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!! Praying for a smooth move to Florida! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! You sound so at peace. And what a cool sounding job! My husband would love to be a fisheries biologist. I'm very glad this worked out for you, and I hope the move goes well. Does this mean that you'll get to stay at home with Hannah once you're in Florida?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the move! Through your story, I can see just how perfectly everything has fallen into place ... hindsight is 20/20! I can't wait to follow this new path in your life with you. When do you move?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to Ted--it sounds like everything worked out perfectly. I hope the move goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the last paragraph! You nailed it! Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see where God takes your family on this journey to Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, so exciting and I love your faith perspective on it all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great attitude and perspective! I'm so happy for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. congrats on the new job! that's hard to do right now...and although it wasn't the initial plan, as you saw maybe our plans based on feelings aren't always right on anyway. that being said, we had a totally similar/yet opposite experience moving out to california. definitely not our plan but its the only job that came up, and we now live 1 hr from all of mike's family. 6 months later I'm still working on trying to line up my feelings with it but it was God's plan!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! What a wonderful story, too--so happy things are working out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, I had goosebumps the whole time and reading that last paragraph I was blinking back the tears! I can't wait to see where else God leads you, and bless you for having eyes to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO happy for you three! :) Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Like! :) And Merry Christmas to ya'll! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!