Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Wean

is definitely a four letter word.

We're on day four of stopping cold turkey. And I'm crying waaay more than she is.

Abruptly stopping nursing is one of those things I said I would never ever do unless I was hospitalized with a deadly disease or something. But here we are-seventeen months old-eating my words.

My milk has been gone for five weeks now-it disappeared just five days after conception and never made a reappearance. And although Hannah has held on strong-she is definitely not getting what she wants. She requests nursing all the time but then is frustrated and angry when she doesn't get any milk. She's become very clingy and whiny and nursing doesn't help like it used to, it only makes it worse. And then there's sleep. And my extreme need for a good night's sleep with the exhaustion of this pregnancy. And the only way that Ted can put her back to sleep when she wakes up is if she forgets the boob was ever a possibility.

So we stopped. And I just say no when she asks. And it's so, so hard. She's a champ. And easily distracted by an endless supply of blueberries and puffies (another thing I said I'd never do...). I think weaning off the puffies might actually be harder than weaning from nursing. And when she hurts herself I just kiss her and hug her and give her more puffies. And at naptime I just tell her I love her and lay her in her crib. She cries for about four seconds. I cry for about 40 minutes.

I know it's best. I know it is. But I hate it. Although it would seem like this is the worst time to do this-with her whole little world being upside down and sleeping in a different crib every other week-it's actually working out to our favor. She doesn't see her nursing chair in the living room all day long. She has lots of new toys to distract her. And if everything about her life is going to be different overnight-might as well do everything at once.

Ted has to constantly remind me why we're doing this. He can see it from a different perspective. He knows how much it is starting to hurt me and drain me and cause me frustration. He can see that Hannah isn't getting what she wants. And he ever so gently reminds me that I now have two babies to take care of, even though one cannot be seen.

It just wasn't supposed to be like this. It was supposed to be so natural and easy and gradual. "Child-led weaning" right?

I just can't stop crying. I put her to bed tonight for the first time because Ted is at a meeting. I sang her all the songs I usually sing but standing up instead of in the rocker. And I sang them through tears. And she didn't even ask to nurse. In fact, I think she only asked one time today. One. When the girl used to nurse anywhere from five to 12 times just four days ago. And she didn't cry when I laid her down. Instead of my arms and breasts to comfort her, she had her baby doll.

She's too big. Someone please stop time. I love all the new things she's doing. I love seeing her grow and learn and change. But right now I just want my baby back. To hold her and rock her and nurse her as long as she'll let me. And the thought that I'll never get to do that again is paralyzing.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who gets this upset about weaning. And if you aren't already too busy praying for our house to be fixed and for us to find a place to live, could you pray for this situation too? Not for Hannah-she's really just fine. For me.

18 comments:

  1. I had to stop nursing Blaise cold turkey b/c my arthritis was back. Even with my joints hurting, I debated if I should continue nursing. It was so hard, and I definitely cried--alot! But he was a champ with a bottle, and only tried to nurse a few times. We stopped at 4 months--he's 10 months now and I still miss it. All that to say, you're not the only one. I hope it gets easier for you soon. We're praying for God to take care of all your needs right now, esp Hannah and her little brother/sister.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh. I cried just reading this. I'll pray for you. I'm nervous about the whole weaning situation when it comes around. I am really, really hoping to do child led weaning, because I don't know what I'll do if I have to wean him myself. Specifically, how I'll get him to sleep. The only way Theodore will go to sleep is nursing. Lots of prayers, friend.

    Also, side note, I've been meaning to ask you, is Ted's full name Theodore? Did he go by Teddy when he was little?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always a wreck when baby weans, so you're not at all alone. Not just because of all the real sadness, but the decrease in happy hormones that breastfeeding provides makes you feel even extra more sad. It's awful! You're in my prayers for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I weaned Clare at 15 months because we wanted to get pregnant again (then found out I was already pregnant with Henry). I tried to start up again after 2 weeks because I missed it so much and realized I didn't even need to have stopped, but she had no interest in nursing again. I broke my heart.

    Henry nursed for 17 months, and that time I was actually ready to stop-- I wanted to really start exercising and losing weight, and it seemed that breastfeeding kept the weight on. I lost around 10 lbs in 8 weeks... and then got pregnant with Brigid. She's 6 months now, and despite the fact that the little biter can draw blood, I NEVER want to stop nursing, for fear that she'll be our last. That's the thought that keeps me up at night and brings me to tears.

    You're not alone in the weaning-tears category!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was *it* broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a lot of positive things to say about my breastfeeding journey [which I'm pretty sure you read on my blog], but I didn't share all the difficulty of weaning. There was this morphing quality with me, wherein I felt like I was clutching the sheets, waiting to turn into a mythical creature. I also remember lying in bed feeling ambivalent feelings toward my breasts. I felt awkward about how I would now comfort, love on, spend quality time with Thomas. However, with support from Paul and Thomas's carefree "what's going on?" nature, I was able to transition to the next phase of parenting. [Phase isn't the right word there.] Here's the crazy thing. I still have, at random moments and for just a brief, brief second, these urges to breastfeed. The only, only thing I don't miss about nursing was the clothes management: what bra with what shirt with what kind of nursing situation am I going to be in today? kind of thing. Wow, I'm rambling.

    And, yes, I'm happy to pray for this too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - definitely a 4 letter word. We have been going back and forth since Maria turned a year old. At that time it was night weaning which she did in 6 days and now actually sleeps at night. I thought great! I will nurse her all she wants during the day - that turned into constantly which got frustrating.

    My daughter eats tons of whole foods - haven't gotten the puffies yet (hopefully I stay true to that one) and I know she doesn't need constant nourishment. So, at 15 months we have decided 4 times a day is the limit and it's always around sleep. I'm happy for this and I'm sure I might use it as pain relief again once she knows it is not always available. It is hard emotionally on both of us though. Maria is not easily distracted, which is why I can't say yes sometimes and not others.

    Good luck with your struggle and blessings on the new baby. It will be a whole different story if I (hopefully) have to think of two babies one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I missed your announcement! Congratulations!!!!

    No real experience or words of advice about the weaning, but I think this is the perennial struggle we moms encounter: the older they get, the less they need us. Now it's always nice and downright freeing when they can finally do things for themselves, but that autonomy and independence always makes me a little wistful. Don't laugh--but my oldest finally learned how to wipe himself after going to the bathroom and you know what? I sort of felt like weeping for the baby/toddler/little boy he know longer is.

    It's a good reminder though that these dear, wonderful children of ours are not really ours. They are God's children who are on loan to us for a very brief period. You've done a great job with Hannah and are making every moment count which is what He asks. Praying for you to adapt to this new phase with her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely remember it being harder on me than AG - prayers and LOTS of hugs for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless your heart! You are so sweet!

    I was so glad when we stopped. I got sad for all of about 10 min. I really enjoy the independence as H gets older.....Has to be my personality!

    Its why I always say I think my kid is more maternal then I am.....ahhhhhh!!!! My poor kids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh. I've cried every time and will again with Joey I'm sure! It's so hard. I'm so sorry. Praying for you to find peace and comfort in knowing you have given her a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cried just reading this! I want to nurse Claire forever and have her never grow up. That's not too much to ask, right? Hugs and prayers, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Kaitlin! I miss you so much!!! Seriously- come back and let's have a slumber party. I'm so sorry, friend. This sounds miserable and so sad. I"m so glad Hannah's handling it so well- it'd be absolute hell if she wasn't. They adjust so quickly, huh? Hate when things don't go as we plan.

    Hoping you find a place to live soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kaitlin-
    I have been praying for you and thinking about you, Hannah, Ted and baby. Bless you all.

    It is hard. I am still heartbroken over Ben's weaning.

    It is more challenging for you than it is for Hannah. Bless you all as you make this transition. But please take comfort in the fact that your body is doing what it needs to in order to care for your second blessing.

    And if you need a good cry, give me a call.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so hard to have our plans for our children altered by circumstances. Though I got to wean my son the way I wanted, I still cried as that attachment is a two way street. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember being shocked at the difficulty of some of the "making space" moments - both chosen and "handed to us" - that came with being preggo with #2. I avoided weaning until I absolutely had to - as well as teaching my buddy to sleep on his own. (They were connected - we did it when I was about 5 mos preggers and he was 2 1/2 because I thought the child would lead sometime around 2 or around early conception but....nope.) The AMAZING thing was seeing that the *dying* that I was being asked to do was so necessary to opening a path for him to become his "next self" so to speak - and to allow all of us to prepare for what was ahead - a whole new human person in our family. It also showed me how much more he was capable of than I imaginged - like he deserved the chance to learn to put himself to sleep (with comfort, routine, etc.) - it was time. The pregnancy journey is amazing - It's so shrouded in mystery that our intellects can't quite *get* it all - what it all entails - until its lived in the body. In our fallen world, these moments just come - not because we're doing something wrong, or right, or whatever - just because we only experience the depth of certain things through PAIN.

    Your posts on childbirth helped me prep for my #2 (5.3.11) so much, helping me remember natural childbirth with #1 (8.11.08) and I'm so grateful! I'm a lurker and go through phases where I don't read and then catch up - and I'm a real-life friend of Jer 29 so that's how I got hooked on the IF bloggers. You are a great momma and inspirational lady! You'll be in my prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a good Mommy!!!!

    Hang in there. This might be a hard moment for being a Mommy of 2, but there are so many blessings for Hannah to have a little sibling close in age.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awe I can only imagine:( this makes my heart hurt for you. I honestly cant even wrap my brain around having my last breastfeed with my baby. I can imagine the pain. Hugs dear friend:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!