Friday, September 7, 2012

Quick Takes


-1-
Hannah and I are participating in this research study about child language development. Today she's wearing an audio recorder in her shirt for 12+ hours and its recording everything she says and hears all day. Earlier this week someone came to our house (well, our hotel room) and video taped us together for an hour.

Ever since I was a little girl I have pretended that my life was on camera. Weird-yes I know. But I would just think, "How would I act right now if there was a camera on me?" Even now I consider my actions under the light of a hidden camera. So it was pretty fun to live out this daydream for real. For the most part, I was exactly myself on the video. We played, brushed teeth, read books, and chased each other around the room. I may have skipped my incessant checking of email......

-2-
For being in the study we were given a Target gift card! I used part of it to buy a baby doll stroller that I've really been wanting to get for Hannah. It was a good buy. She has not stopped pushing it around since I bought it two days ago. She's such a little mommy. I love it.


-3-
Did you catch the part above where I said we were living in a hotel? For the last two and a half weeks this has been our home. A two bedroom suites with a small kitchen. It's been glorious. Housekeeping comes every day to change our towels, clean the sinks, take out the trash, wash the dishes (which I don't let them know-I could never be that mean), and give us more toilet paper. And keep me company and dote on how adorable Hannah is. Every morning we walk over to the front desk to collect our free breakfast, as well as plenty of bananas and raisins for snacks throughout the day. I get free coffee and stick it in the fridge and have iced coffee every afternoon. Then we spend the day playing on the stairs, going up and down the elevator, and watching the school buses drive by. And there's a pool! Absolutely awesome. I could seriously stay here for another month. Or two.

-4-
But that won't happen because we move tomorrow!!!! Yes, after two and a half months of living out of our suitcase-after staying in TEN different beds in ten weeks-we are finally settling into our own place. Thanks be to God. This insane summer "adventure" is almost over.

-5-
I'm seriously considering joining the Be the Match registry for bone marrow donation. Has anyone done this? Honestly, I'm a bit nervous. And being sick for two weeks if I was ever called to donate is daunting. But hello! My bone marrow could be the exact thing that someone is waiting on to save their life! Two weeks of discomfort for me would mean a LIFETIME for them. Anyone want to join me?

-6-
I will limit my thoughts on the Democratic National Convention to one take. And I'll try to keep it short. Oh so much to say....which thought should I choose??

It was painfully clear that the Democratic party has taken a very sharp turn in supporting abortion. They've always been "pro-choice" to be sure, but the last few nights were different. They were in your face, militantly pro abortion. They have presented themselves as the party who will always protect the "right" for a woman to kill her child. And I am STILL seeing Obama stickers on cars in Catholic Church parking lots! The Catechism is quite clear. There is no room for discussion. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Catholics are free to disagree on a wide variety of issues. Abortion is not one of them. And supporting a party that proudly and unwaveringly supports abortion is not one of them.

Thank God for Cardinal Dolan's closing prayer, in which he prayed for "those waiting to be born". Sadly, MSNBC didn't even show the prayer on their coverage. I had to turn it to big bad crazy Fox to watch the end of the convention. And to see the only person that spoke the Truth on that stage.

-7-
I'll leave you with two adorable You Tube videos that I came across this week thanks to some friends. The first is my favorite, the second is Hannah's.




Happy Weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, those videos are so precious! I laughed WAY too hard at them. :)
    I've never heard of the Be a Match registry. Potentially dumb question: Is bone marrow essentially limitless? I mean, is it like giving blood, where you can do it often, or is it something that is once and done? Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister donated bone marrow to someone. She said it hurt, but I don't remember her being down for 2 weeks.

    I think it's a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the move!

    BTW (you probably know this but) similar to donating blood, you can't donate bone marrow while pregnant.
    But truly a wonderful organization, my husband has been tested and I probably will after this baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not get over how enthusiastic the entire DNC convention was regarding abortion. I mean the cheers, excitement, zeal... like... wow... I knew the party was primarily pro-choice but... it was shocking to me to see the "party" they were having over this issue. It doesn't help that I am literally watching this ON my due date.

    So glad you've enjoyed your hotel stay and will soon be all moved!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ACT LIKE MY LIFE IS ON CAMERA, TOO!!!! HAHAHAHAHA! i THOUGHT I WAS ALL ALONE IN MY DELUSIONS! HA!

    Yea for moving out of the hotel and being settled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Jumped over from Knotted Life. I also suffer (hahahha) from being overly-opinionated, although I think my use of commas overpowers my hyphenating. I'm a donor for Be The Match and I'm not gonna lie, an email from them makes my skin crawl... I just don't know what I would do with our two babies that are 19 months apart and under the age of two!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of the video camera! Your so inspiring;)

    Excited about you finally being able to settle down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those videos are so cute! I have to admit, some days I wish I lived in a hotel. But I'm glad you've got things straightened out finally!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!