I, being the incredibly brave and adventurous person I am, took both kids to the zuseum today by myself. I know I'm still in that postpartum survival mode time, but I was really sick of sitting in the house and only venturing out for a teeny bit of work and the grocery store. So the zoo/museum or bust.
It only took me about two hours to get everything ready. I'm definitely getting faster.
I usually go with a friend and chat while the kids play, but it was really refreshing to just go by ourselves. Despite the fact that Paul refused to sleep in his carseat, even with the paci and the bumping of the stroller, we survived.
No, we thrived. We really did.
Hannah was unusually well behaved (to say it's been a trying week would be an extreme understatement) and enjoyed every second. And I so enjoy her when she is behaving and enjoying herself. The alligator, who is usually "sleeping" and nowhere to be seen, actually emerged from beneath the water, swam to the edge, and then proceeded to crawl into the woods. I had no idea how huge their legs were. Or that they lifted their bodies off the ground when they walked. And I'm fairly certain I'm going to have nightmares. Totally worth it to watch her excited face as her favorite animal put on a show.
And Paul, who was awake an hour and half longer than usual, was still incredibly chill. His usual self. So lovely. And according to the tag, that adorable outfit he's wearing isn't supposed to fit for another four and a half months. Six weeks, six months. Same thing right?
Oh my huge boy. Six weeks old and already thirteen pounds. Not only have you outgrown newborn clothes and diapers, but you're heading right out of the three months and size ones as well.
My big boy and my oh-so-big girl. She ran the whole way...until she crashed and wanted to be held. And just when I was cussing myself for not buying a double-stroll at the consignment sale last week, she grabbed onto the handle and swung from it like a monkey while I pushed. Which totally worked. I'm gonna be super buff if she keeps this up.
My monkey.
Good behavior even afforded us the chance to hit up the playground.
Those new-to-us pumas definitely helped her swing higher. When did she get big enough for a regular swing? Wasn't she just in a bumbo seat?
Hannah and I talked about the buses and the tractors on the road the whole way home. But we had to shout over Paul's screams. Seriously kid, you better learn to love that seat. If you don't, I may have to buy some earplugs.
I tried to get him quickly into his cradle for a nap before grabbing Hannah from the car. And what I thought was a very sweaty back ended up dripping onto the floor and making a nice orange stain. Thanks for the cute outfit Aunt Jackie-it's covered in poop. Two hours! Two hours Ted and I spent last night trying to get the kid to poop. I knew he had to go and the poor boy couldn't sleep at all. But instead he decided to keep that suppository lodged in there for another 14 hours and go all. over. the. carseat. Not so lovely.
A bath and a clean diaper for the baby. Lunch and a clean diaper for the toddler. All by myself. And I didn't even have to yell!
Naptimes even overlapped long enough for me to write 98% of this blog post. The last 2% was written when Hannah found the remote and helped herself to daytime TV and a peanut butter and jelly on the couch. I could take the remote away like I'm supposed to. Or I could let her get bored with Judge Judy on mute after a few minutes and hide it when she's not looking. Picking my battles, yes I am.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a carseat to clean.
This makes me smile so much. Life with two is so hard sometimes. I totally get what you mean about enjoying watching them be good. Way to go with getting out solo. Bravo, I say.
ReplyDeleteWay to go! And oh my gosh, 13lbs??? I was cheering when N finally reached 15lbs at 7 MONTHS!! (Granted, he is in the 5th percentile for size haha).
ReplyDeleteThey are so precious!
ReplyDeleteWow...you're basically my hero. :) And 13# Paul!! C only weighs 17, and she'll be a year next month!! What do you put in your milk, miracle grow? ;)
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, Katie. Paul is so big. Go Momma! I can't believe how quickly they change!!!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this, love getting a glimpse of your life in FL!
I like the part about you hiding the remote when she´s not looking. I do that too :D Congrats on the outing, you did great!!
ReplyDeleteMy Hud has always Been big. Barely wore 0-3 mths. He weighed 37 lbs When i put him on the scale a few days ago. He has Been 90-95th percentile since 2 mths
ReplyDeleteI laughed so hard I sighed! This is so honest and lovely. And, yes, some seasons in life call for a little daytime TV...
ReplyDelete