Sunday, July 21, 2013

Changing the Bar

I always hear moms talk about "lowering the bar". Referring to letting some (all....) of your standards go when parenthood is exceptionally challenging. I've used the phrase plenty of times when describing my parenting style after Paul was born. BP (Before Paul) I let Hannah watch about an hour of TV per week. AP, I lowered the bar to about a half hour a day. Then to two half hours a day. Then to one half hour show and one hour long show. Then the bar just fell through the floor and I stopped keeping track of how much TV she was watching and just turned it on thanking Jesus for the blessing that is Barney.

So I've done my fair share of bar lowering and I've wrestled with the guilt that accompanies it, as I'm sure every mother has. Motherhood for me is like a constant mental marathon. Am I feeding her enough protein? Should I get rid of these baby books so she's more challenged by other ones? Have I been babbling enough with Paul? It seems like he's babbling less than he used to. How can I encourage her to improve her speech without pissing her off? How can I get her to eat more vegetables? Ugh, we can't afford this probiotic anymore. Is Paul's gut going to suffer forever because of me? Am I ruining my baby because of the sucralose in these gas drops that don't even seem to help? Is Hannah going to remember this day when she's older and how much I yelled at her?

And so on and so forth. Despite my best efforts to do my own thing, it's constant comparison around here. And I don't even compare myself to a real person most of the time. I compare myself to "that mom". The one who gets new library books every single week and plays classical music every day and prepares every meal from organic, whole foods and eats off plates that aren't plastic and filled with chemicals and never lets her kids watch TV and instead provides enriching and educational activities every hour of the day and somehow manages to do waaaaay more than I do on our budget and would never dream of leaving the potty chair sitting in the shower for five straight days without taking some serious antibacterial wipes to clean out that poop..... But I've never met that mom. I know she doesn't exist. But she's still in my head. Not so gently nagging me about all the things I'm screwing up on a daily basis.

I do know plenty of real moms who put me to shame with their culinary skills or their educational activities. But they don't outdo me in every area. (Not that it's a contest, blah blah blah, I know and I get it.)  I have my strengths and they have theirs.

And yes, there are legitimate times when the bar of acceptable motherhood needs to be lowered for survival's sake. But instead of beating myself up about letting Hannah eat another chocolate chip or watch a third (fourth, fifth.....) episode of Curious George, maybe I should change the bar completely.

What if I started measuring my success as a mother by how many times a day I prayed with Hannah instead of how many vegetables I can sneak into her food. What if I worried more about getting to daily Mass instead of getting to the library. What if I took the dozen opportunities a day to sit and nurse Paul to pray for him and sing to him instead of closing my eyes and turning my brain off.

I need to hold myself to a very high standard of motherhood. Feeding my kids healthy food and providing them with educational activities is important. Very important. But if they don't know Jesus, then what will it even matter? If I nourish their minds and their bodies with the very best I can give, but I don't nourish their souls...then I will have failed at the greatest task of my life. Instead of feeling guilty at the end of the day for how much the TV was on or the crappy meals I managed to scrape together, I need to reflect on the times I remembered to say morning prayers with Hannah, or blessed Paul with holy water, or made the sign of the cross together as we passed a church. I need to stop yelling at my toddler and pray with her instead. Not because I want to be like other moms who don't yell at their kids, but because my kid is a precious and beautiful gift from God and she deserves a mother who treats her as such.

This new bar is still set pretty low. I'm not shooting for a daily family rosary or Mass five days a week. I just want to weave more prayer into the day. More patience. More peace in my home.

My patron saint for 2013 is Mary, Queen of Peace. I need to look to her as an example of the kind of mother I want to be, not my facebook friends. I still need to set the bar for motherhood and raise and lower it according to our circumstances, but I've got to find a totally different bar than the one I've been using.



Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for me!

28 comments:

  1. A friend of mine once told me that it's not our job to get our children into a good college, it's our job to get them into heaven! No matter how little TV they're watching, how organic their meals, how probiotic-filled their poops are, if we're not feeding them spiritually none of it matters!

    And now I take this as a kick in the pants :) I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears. This has to be published. Enough said.

    Little JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kaitlin, this is really very beautiful. You have such a way with words. Good for you for writing what so many of us think about (struggle with?) each day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah's big sweet smile tells me you're doing everything just right. :) But I think it's normal to worry about this stuff. I do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Thank you! I have tears. I needed to tea this today. I swear I should print it out and hang it on my refrigerator an ready it several times a day. I've been feeling very much like a failure, comparing myself to made up moms, and wondering how the heck I'm going to add a 3rd child to this mix when my children already watch far too much tv and eat way too much chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! This is so great! I needed to read this today. and maybe multiple times a day, as Karen said! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Thank you for making coherent some random thoughts I have been trying to work through recently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So here I am laughing at the first part of the post while my kids watch Barney.
    Then, the tears started flowing as I read on and realized that this post was exactly what I needed to read this morning!!!
    Thank you for showing me Jesus today!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can totally relate to the constant feeling of guilt over doing things all wrong as a mother. It's overwhelming at times, isn't it? I needed this reminder today of what is most important in life. If we fulfill our role as God intends, then He'll make up for what we are lacking. Thanks for the reminder! God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was reading recently about a visionary who was visited by Christ. She said that the overwhelming impression of Him was his gentleness. That even when He was admonishing, He did it with supreme gentleness. I really think that's how we're meant to be towards our kids. But it sure is hard sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful. I'm amazed lately at how much Thomas is interested, considering his lazy his mom is in religious and spiritual formation, in prayer and God and the story of Jesus. I think I'm going to write about this soon because it has been on my mind quite a bit. I find myself scrambling for the right words or a little more confidence when I explain something to him like God having more than one name. In light of this mindset to "do it all", I'm right there with you. I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't feel guilty about Thomas's screen time. I work so hard to limit it and yet it always feels like he should be watching less.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen! I couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I needed to read this :) Beautifully written Kaitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Motherhood has to be the hardest job on the planet, and you are a terrific mother. Thanks for this post. It helps me set my bar on the firmest Foundation :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully written and such a great reminder for all if us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your post was a great reminder for me to pray with and for my kids. I mean, I pretty much threw out the bar a couple of years ago, but I never thought of this new one of yours. But literally, while I nursed Joseph I thought of this post and prayed for him and talked wit God instead. So thank you, Kaitlin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great prospective Kaitlin! Keep on keeping on! I know I often feel like consistency is key with raising our kids, but at the same time you have to take it one day at a time with new expectations! Each day is always 1,000 times better if its centered in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now, why isn't there an "I really, really love this post" button!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great perspective and one that I definitely needed to hear! My 16-month-old has been majorly teething and so, so cranky. Yet I've been focused on how bad I feel for myself for having to listen to all that whining instead of how she must feel?

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are doing amazingly well. Just beautifully. Keep it up, Mama, you've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Funny you should post this...I've been reflecting on motherhood recently, too, and just posted some of my thoughts. The reminder to pray is even more important than what I wrote about. Thank you!
    http://notesfromheidi.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/get-down-on-the-floor/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the post and it is so true! Thanks for the reminder. I was in survival mode all pregnancy (still making some daily masses which made me feel good about my effort). Finally met our second daughter last Saturday and went to daily mass today. It was good to finish her first week that way - our family of four at mass. Good luck with your new bar.

    ReplyDelete
  23. AMEN!!! Fabulous post, Kaitlin!!! Beautiful reflection. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this reflection.. It is so true! We all feel that guilt, but you're right, we have to remember what is really important!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a lovely post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!