Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Loving the Language

Isn't language development just the coolest dang thing? I know I'm a speech therapist, so I probably care about it a leeeetle more than the average joe. But come on, kids learning how to TALK is amazing. I devoted many years of my life studying language development and then some more years doing language therapy but NOTHING could be as cool to this language nerd as watching my own kid's language take off. To see her wake up in the morning and say ten new words before breakfast. To ask her, "Hannah, what's in those clouds?" knowing she has no earthly idea what the answer is. Until I hear her say matter-of-factly, Wain." And then follow it up with, "Falls down on my head! Gets me wet!"

Mind blown.

Toddlers are fascinating. Yes, they're exasperating and challenging and a whole lot of work. But fascinating. Watching her language expand and grow has got to be one of my favorite parenting highlights so far. As Ted said today, "Oh to be a fly on the inside of her brain."


While making a smoothie with me:
This smoothie is for us. Not for the animals. (Dis moonie is dor us. Not dor animos.)

A conversation after she hit Paul on the head when she was overly excited:
Me: Hannah, I know you are excited but you never, NEVER hit Paul. Instead of hitting Paul, next time you get excited ---
Hannah: Hit mommy!

While on the toilet:
Hannah: Look (yut), my poop made bubbles!

During breakfast:
Me: Here you go. You can have my strawberry.
Hannah: Big strawberry! Really big! Really big like Daddy! (Bid stawbewy. Weawy bid. Bid yite Daddy.)

In reference to the bottle opener that is nailed to the cabinet next to our dishwasher (it was here when we moved in, but man, what a good idea!)
Dis where beer tums out. (holding up her empty playdough jar). Tum out beer!

And during an attempt to get out of bed by telling me she had to poop.
Me: Hannah, do you remember how you told me that you had to poop last night?
Hannah: Yes.
Me: And remember how you pushed and pushed but there wasn't any poop?
Hannah: Yes.
Me: So tonight-
Hannah (leaning in and nodding her head): Push harder!


6 comments:

  1. I agree. Toddler talk is the best. Yesterday Thomas asked a question in the car so I answered him but he emphatically explained he was talking to da brudders and not to me. He went on to explain how we get new books at the library and asked them "did you know that? Huh? Did you know that guys?" *love it!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh. my. she is AWESOME! I'm so glad you're recording her "sayings!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am getting to experience this with Isaiah! I love seeing him learn new words and phrases and to try to figure out what he is saying because he leaves off the beginning hard sound on most words.
    I never got to go through this with Bella. She was talking like an adult at 12 months old. Perfect pronunciation from day one. There were funny things like she called her bib a "bib on" because I always said let's put your bib on. She was tested at 26 months and tested above 5 years old in everything from language development to comprehension and so on. She was naturally a genius child. Before her 3rd birthday she knew all her letter sounds and has been able to recognize words and sound them out. I missed seeing her language develop over time!

    I Love it with Isaiah. His funny words. His crazy non structured phrases. They make me laugh. They make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! So enjoying watching the sentences start to come and Liam be able to words to his ideas and plans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It IS the coolest thing! And so is the speech sound development. Crazy how you can almost predict their patterns. I'm a nerdy SLP mom too. And I brag because Drew already had like TWENTY FIVE words!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah I think this *every* *time* my kids say anything new. Especially with Josie because her speech has always been super delayed. She only started stringing 3-4 words together in the past few months and now she's rocking it with independent thought and articles. I'm always blown away :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!