Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Assumption, Seven Years Later

Seven years ago today, on the Feast of the Assumption of Mary, I underwent my first surgery in St. Louis. I went to Mass the night before, since I wouldn't be able to attend on the feast day, and then asked the priest if he would hear my confession. When I told him about the surgery, Fr. Mike asked me if I also wanted to be anointed (known more commonly as "Last Rights"). I didn't really understand that the sacrament could be used for healing, not just on your deathbed, and kind of freaked out on him and declined. The next morning, Ted drove the three hours to St. Louis at 5:00 in the morning to take the first big step in our struggle with my health and fertility.

My doctor prayed with me before the surgery. Everything went fine, except my oxygen levels were dangerously low for hours and hours after I woke up. I ended up having to stay overnight and felt pretty awful the entire time. Ted and I (not married, or even engaged) were being extra cautious about sharing the hospital room together (as if my disgustingly sick, pale, and puking self was some kind of hot temptation) (plus my mom was in the room) and every time I had to get up to pee on my bedside toilet in the middle of the night we woke him up and made him leave the room. Why in the world we didn't just let him sleep through it, I will never know.

The date for the surgery was set by the doctor and was the only day that worked with both of our schedules. The fact that it fell on a Marian feast day meant so much to me. I knew she was with me and that it was going to be alright. And although my first surgery didn't solve my health or fertility problems, it was a step in the right direction.

Seven years later, I wrestled my two year old and five month old through Mass to celebrate the feast. My first time taking both kids by myself! The priest was ten minutes late, so by the time Mass started Hannah had already given me 15 minutes of good behavior. She was bored. She was jealous of Paul's spot in the sling. And she was hungry (her fault, not mine! eat your breakfast kid.) Despite one time-out due to whining and one super fun trip to organize the chairs in the cry room due to falling off the pew, it went pretty well.

And although most of it was lost on her, we talked about what the Assumption means and how today we celebrate Mary going to heaven to be with Jesus. We talked about other people who are in heaven, St. Therese, Mother Teresa. And we visited Mary's statue after Mass. Paul slept on my chest while Hannah and I sang "Abay, abay, abay Mawia" and blew Mary kisses before I handed her the car keys, her reward for kinda sorta decent behavior.

Then it was home to make pumpkin muffins. Which have nothing to do with the Assumption but are delicious. I'm feeling a little crafty for once in Hannah's life, so I think I'll print off a coloring page of Mary and hang it from the fan in Hannah's room. Not my idea, thanks Alisha.

Happy Feast of the Assumption! And thank you Jesus, for my two beautiful children to share it with.

5 comments:

  1. Our parish had a 6:30 mass so Kevin went to that before work...so I'm going to 7:00 BY MYSELF tonight. I'm just a little excited. :)

    And you must send me you pumpkin muffin recipe! I've been craving pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely. Thanks be to God for you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me laugh, and I know you were feeling terrible, but the whole paragraph about you being in the room with your mom, and Paul, and waking him every time you had to pee, just made me laugh a little :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of the funniest pre-marriage stories ever. Your future husband goes with you to surgery, sleeps in an uncomfortable hospital room and THEN is cheerful when you kick him out of the room in the middle of the night to pee? He is a keeper! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, just imagine how much worse it would have been if you hadn't woken him up and the sound of you peeing HAD! That might not have been something you could have survived :P

    So glad you have your two wonderful children, too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!