Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I Just Wanna Eat Food

I think my heart has finally stopped pounding and my breathing is returning to normal. But man. If you had been a fly on the wall for the last 20 minutes in this house! Frustration after frustration left me clenching my jaw to keep from shouting some f-bombs (I mumbled them instead) and slamming an even more tightly clenched fist onto the washing machine. I set out to prep the crock pot dinner for tomorrow and make a new batch of coconut creamer for my coffee. Simple enough. Except that it's not. It's never simple. And after my fifth trip out to the garage to use the noisy food processor and cleaning up my third spill in as many minutes, well I had just had it. I was slamming doors and fighting back tears and when Ted came in to ask what was wrong I went into a monologue about onions not getting chopped the right way and coconut milk splattering everywhere and and and and.

"What's it really about?" he said. And it hit me. I just wanna eat food. Regular food. Food that doesn't take an hour and half to prepare. Food that doesn't cost double and triple what everyone else is eating. Just food.

I'm so tired of not being able to eat anything. I don't mind giving up dairy while nursing (too much). But having to give up gluten on top of that had been so, so hard. (In case you're lost, both of my kids have dairy allergies that require me to give it up completely when nursing. And I discovered a pretty severe gluten intolerance in myself and Paul just a few months ago. I suspect Hannah has it too.) 

I just want to eat one piece of freaking sausage without having to call the meat packing company and ask if they have gluten in their seasoning. And when I don't bother to call in hopes that it doesn't, I don't want to feel like shit for the next 24 hours. I want to be able to eat a bowl of cereal that doesn't even contain wheat and not walk around with a balloon in my stomach because it had "oat flour" and was probably contaminated with wheat anyway. Captain Crunch, I know you were wondering. I want to feel like there isn't something pushing on my bladder all day long and being nauseous any time I eat something because I accidentally ate egg noodles (with a teeny, teeny bit of wheat) three freakin days ago.

I'm sick of seeing my baby spit up so much that he can't even crawl away because of the spit up pool he's created around himself is so large that he keeps slipping. All becauses the only pumped milk I had in the freezer had gluten. I'm sick of seeing blood in his poop because I ate twelve gluten freakin free almond crackers that I didn't realize had butter in them. I'm sick of feeling like a ticking time bomb ready to blimp up and make my kid miserable if I accidentally eat the slightest bit of off-limits food. I'm tired of telling Hannah, "No you can't eat that delicious treat that all the others kids are having. It will make your tummy hurt. Here, have your one thousandth raisin of the day."



I'm sick of being a burden to everyone I know. I'm tired of double checking every ingredient of everything someone offers me. I'm tired of not being able to eat when I go to baby showers or vacations because no one thought of (or knew about) my food issues. I've been blessed with wonderful, wonderful friends who go out of their way to see that I can eat at least something when they invite me to their barbecues and ladies' night outs. And I know they would say that they don't mind, but it's still a pain in the ass for them and takes so much extra time and energy to accommodate me. I secretly wonder if one day I'll just stop getting invitations because it's too much trouble to include me.

I'm sick of being hungry all.the.damn.time. I'm sick of not being able to go to Mass without packing a snack for the car ride home. I'm sick of the kitchen looking like this three freakin times a day.



I'm sick of cooking every little thing from scratch. I just want to open up a freaking package of hamburger helper and call it a day. I just want to throw some mac and cheese on a plate and move on with my life. Sure, they make gluten and dairy free substitutes. But unless we win the lottery there's no way we'll ever be able to afford them. As hard as I try I just cannot figure out a way to stay within our grocery budget without buying six dollar pints of "ice cream" and five dollar loaves of "bread". Much less with those added expenses. 

 I'm overwhelmed at the thought that this is going to be for the rest of my life. The thought that at every Thanksgiving I'll have to pass up the mashed potatoes and the gravy and the stuffing and probably the corn because someone added butter just eat my dry turkey dipped in cranberry sauce. The thought that I might never get a break. I might never get better.

Yes, I know it's worth it. I don't really have a choice unless I want my kids to be miserable and in pain and I want to feel like I'm about to pop and/or throw up all the time. And I think I actually do a really good job of not complaining and facing this issue head on. I guess the last two and a half years of not complaining has boiled up inside of me and is now showing itself by punching the washer and crying about chopped onions.

Sorry for my rant, unsuspecting internet readers. I don't blame you for not making it to the end of this bitch complain fest (I think there's been plenty of cussing in this post to last quite a while already). I've calmed down since I started writing but I can't say I feel any better. This is just how it is. Whether I want it or not. There are so many days when I want to throw up my hands and shout, "I didn't sign up for this!" until I remember that I did. I signed up for taking care of my children to the best of my ability. And this is my best. Anything less would be cruel to their poor stomachs. And to mine. I have a supportive husband who thanks profusely for everything I do. A husband who, when I apologize for a crappy meal of bland leftover chicken and green beans, says, "It's a heck of a lot better than what I made tonight," and then eats his meager meal with a smile and a sincere thank you.

If you're one of the lucky people who can go out to dinner and order anything off the menu, will you please say a prayer for me? And if you're one of the ones who went out to eat for your five year anniversary and the only thing you could order off the five page menu was the grilled shrimp without the sauce or the seasoning and not even a side to go with it, well can I get an amen? And a promise that it really is going to be ok?

Gotta go. I'm hungry.

38 comments:

  1. What a blessing you are to Paul and Hannah! I don't know too many moms who would do what you do! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how difficult it is to cook both gluten and dairy free, but I can say as one of those "accommodating friends" that we are truly happy to be able to help you when we can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. check out my friend: glutenfreehappytummy.blogspot.com
    Some of her recipes have bizarre ingredients, but maybe she can help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For reals, baby girl. We don't mind tweaking recipes for you one bit. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I totally agree with Alyssa and Haley. You would do the same for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :( I have a friend whose son is allergic to dairy, gluten, corn, soy, nuts, pretty much everything under the sun... Poor kid's "can eat" list is shorter than what he can't! They eat a lot of Indian-inspired dishes, and I know a BIG treat is homemade raspberry sorbet - it's super-easy, although it involves using your food processor again :P I'm pretty sure it's just frozen raspberries (WAY cheaper than fresh, especially at Trader Joe's) and sugar. Might be a more exciting treat than raisins ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry Kaitlin! I feel very fortunate that I can still eat dairy. Very! But like you, the no gluten thing is killing me! I'm starving. Constantly starving. An you're right, it's so hard to go to a party or out to lunch or dinner or whatever. And I don't know about you, but I get this "come on, a little gluten won't kill you" attitude. People think going gluten free is just trendy now. Or I'm doing it to lose weight (um, hello, I'm 20 weeks pregnant). They don't understand that I have a disease. A disease that eating gluten makes so much worse. A disease that makes me feel like I'm dying on a daily basis and although a piece of bread would be fanfreakingtastic, it's not worth the Hell it will put me through.

    Gah! I will pray for you! I have had a few of those flip out, crying, cussing, punching thing moments. It's so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, I just found this website, crockpot365.blogspot.com all of her stuff is gluten free. I haven't looked at a ton of recipes yet, but from what I've seen, they have basic ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I am so sorry. That totally sucks. I have friends who are GF, but none cut out dairy, so I'm not sure any of their recipes would be very helpful. Cammie over at A Woman's Place (the link is on my blog if you need it) has worked miracles around dietary needs… she might have some ideas. The only other helpful thing I can say is Chex cereal (they even advertise GF on the box and they are good… similar to the Capt'n's) and Tostito's…. I can munch on those all day and, being made from corn, it is GF. If you do get tired of raisins, I mean. :) Hang in there. I am so sorry it is so difficult. How long do you nurse for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to suggest going over to Cam's blog as well. I'm so sorry you're having a hard time Kaitlin! I'll definitely say a prayer for you all.

      Delete
  10. I have been reading your blog for a while now, but have never commented. I am SO sorry! I know exactly how you feel. We've had our food allergy diagnosis for almost two years now, which includes wheat, dairy, eggs, peanuts, soy, and some tree nuts. It completely and totally sucks all the time. You'll go through periods of time when it doesn't really bother you all that much, and then there will be times when you just want to cry because you have to make ALL THE THINGS! And you feel so badly for your kids who can't eat what everyone else is eating, and any time you're invited over to somebody else's house, you have to bring all your own food. (In our case, there's only one family who will still invite us over to their house.) :-) And I know eating out is a luxury, and we wouldn't be able to do it all that often anyway, sometimes I just want to order a freaking pizza and not spend five hours in the kitchen making every piece of dinner from scratch. So I wallow in it for a little bit, and then I try to (as my good friend puts it) "put on my big girl panties and deal with it." Okay, this is long enough already, I'll be praying for you and hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummer. That's so much work. More work than twins. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You just wrote the blog post that I live and have wanted to write so many times! My paradigm is slowing shifting to the reality that I'm a pioneer woman living in a world of abundance - surrounded by food but unable to eat any of it. I'm wary to offer advice, b/c it sounds like you're venting and not seeking advice, but the #1 thing that has helped me is to cease searching for substitutes for my old way of life, and embrace the things I can eat - potatoes, rice, lots and lots of fruit. I'll offer up my allergen-free work of the day (and it gets to be a lot of work some days) for you. It's taken me 5 years of feeding children with allergies and about 2 years of gluten-free for me to get to this place of acceptance. You're still very new at it. Above all - Don't feel like you're a burden to your friends! They love you. ...but bring your own food, for your own piece of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think someone could have written a more perfect comment. Thank you so much Betsy. I totally agree about not seeking substitutes, just doing without.

      Delete
  13. I'm sorry you have to be so careful with what you eat. I am thankful that my family seems to be fairly tolerant of most foods because I'm not sure I could do it. Really. I admire mothers who have the discipline to get it done. But I know, you do it because you have to. What other choice can there be?

    Our neighbor's youngest child was born with so many intolerances, it would blow your mind. Truly it seemed like there was more he couldn't eat than he could. It rocked her world and completely changed how she shopped and cooked. Through the process, she discovered her daughter had a gluten intolerance that she didn't realize until the family stopped eating it and all of a sudden her daughter stopped getting sick. Not to spread false hope as I can only partially speak to my neighbor's situation, but she was extremely strict with their diet for about two years and now has been able to slowly add back some of the formerly forbidden foods. She says that their guts have healed and now can tolerate a bit of gluten and dairy and other stuff, but she will never go back to the way they ate before her son was born. Her son is outgrowing his intolerances, but she likes the new way of eating. With the occasional treat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I didn't know you were dealing with all of this, and I can really relate and sympathize! It was such a cross for me when I had to make such drastic adjustments in all of my diet. I've ended up basing everything around basically potatoes and brown rice (made plain and from scratch).

    One thing that has actually helped for me and I wonder if it might for you - digestive enzymes. I use something called Digest or Digest Gold from a company called Enzymedica. But they are kind of expensive, like $55 for 240 pills, and you take one with each meal. Anyway for yourself at least, a lot of the misery digestively can come from your own system not having sufficient enzymes to digest these things, even in the cases of gluten, etc.

    I wonder and don't know how much improving your own digestion might minimize or eliminate what passes from you in nursing - I was never nursing at the same time of this! For things to which I am allergic in the way of itching, swelling, hives, the digest pills don't help. But for things that gave me the bloating, horrendous upper abdominal pain, reflux or easy vomiting, fatigue and aches, the enzymes have totally saved my life.

    I too have had healing from food intolerances after I took 1-2 years of ultra strict diet restriction. You are such a good mom to be aware of all this and do all you're doing! I believe so much that this is a cross that offers very beautiful things possible to you within it! Can you imagine yourself sincerely and deeply calm, peaceful, content, grateful in the inconveniences and the hunger even if this does turn out to be something you must carry all your life? Jesus can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em, you are an angel! Thanks for your support. And YES, I totally forgot about digestive enzymes! I took them when I was nursing Hannah. I have no idea if they helped, as I was so strict. But I'll give them a try again! Thanks for reminding me. And your last statement, Oh so true. This is a cross and I need to welcome it as such.

      Delete
  15. Oh, Kaitlin! This is truly a cross! I'm praying for you. I remember doing Paleo before my wedding and making everything from scratch. I was single of course at the time but man! Eating was a full time job! Now that I have just one little guy and a hubby the thought of managing multiple allergies (and work!) is downright exhausting! Hang in there! You are living your vocation well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a friend whose baby has MSPI issues, and honestly I don't mind a bit when I accommodate recipes for her. I'm happy to help ease the burden a bit, and I'm sure your friends feel the same way! Even though you did sign up for it, that doesn't make it easy. And it's ok to acknowledge that the cross is hard! Because it is! It won't last forever, and just remind yourself that you are a great momma (and probably shaving off some time in purgatory) because you are sacrificing for the good of your (adorable, sweet, funny, and did I mention adorable) kiddos. :) Hugs, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My sister has all this on her plate with two Autistic kids that she keeps gluten-free and she herself is Celiac, so she is GF...plus a whole host of other things due to a couple other auto-immune disorders. So...I will say some prayers for you (and her) because it is very difficult. I know she was very hurt this summer when my parents invited her non-Autistic (and non-GF) daughter to visit for a week but not the older daughter. And they honestly told her they just can't monitor and ensure her daughter would get the GF stuff she needs...and it was so hurtful to my sister. It is hard. It's a cross and it's not fair (I know, I know...life's not fair. *sigh*)

    Hang in there. I wish I knew if it was going to get better...I am still watching my sister (after 3 years now) continue to live this lifestyle because she knows it's best for her and for her kids...but it looks so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to eat gluten free, dairy free and sugar free before kids. I didn't because it was the only way I could feel like I wasn't dying all the time.
    Now, since kids, I eat cheap food. I don't even attempt to keep those things out of my diet because frankly, I can not afford to live on produce, meat and eggs. I have up feeling good so that we could afford to adopt 2 children. So, I understand your sacrifice for your children, although mine is lived out differently.
    I got 3 hours of sleep last night due to digestion pain and have been in so much pain today too. I pretty much feel like my intestines will explode or my stomach will wretch at every moment.
    But....I have 2 blessings from God that I get to offer these sacrifices for so that my whole family may love with God pain free for all eternity! I traded the cross of childlessness for the cross of digestive pain (because our budget does not allow me to be free of both crosses)
    I would not ever trade back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second sentence should read "did it" not "didn't"

      Delete
    2. Oh and it should read "gave up" not "have up" feeling good

      Delete
  19. And "live with God" not "love with God"...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eating is a full-time job now - I hear you. I'm not even nursing, and it still is. Every meal is made from scratch... and while I love to cook, I'm trying to figure out how it will work with more than 1 kid! I do have leftovers - but it's because most meals I cook have enough for 3 meals (all of us included.) Sometimes it does suck. I had friends over last week and one got out her little bag of goldfish crackers for her son. Of course, they got spilled and went everywhere and C picked one up. I tried not to appear too panicky as I grabbed it out of his hand and quickly vacuumed up the crumbs. It's easier in my own home because I don't keep stuff in the house I can't eat, but I hate to dictate what snacks people can bring for their kids. And when we visit the grandparents/friends homes -they have things we can't eat in abundance. And C wants everything anyone else has. He's still too little to know why - but I still kind of dread the day when he starts to understand that he eats differently. And yeah... budgeting for GF/DF bread/treats is insane. They are what, 3x as much or more??

    Anyway... Amen, sister. It will be ok. We can commiserate together!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't how imagine how hard this is! I will say though that we had some friends over recently with MAJOR food allergies and I found it kinda fun to prepare a meal for them. It was kinda like a puzzle and didn't bother me a bit!

    Also, because the need to stay away from gluten is becoming so prevalent and it's probably only going to get worse, you can expect that as you get better at it in your own home, the world at large will get better at catering to you! I know that's hardly a ray of sunshine...

    And finally: GOOD FOR YOU!! Your kids are so lucky to have a mother who's willing to go the distance for their sensitive digestion. That's really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and...by "as you get better at it" I mean "as it gets easier" because it sounds like you're doing a great job despite how difficult it is.

      Delete
  22. Oh Kaitlin! I wish ya'll were still here so I could feed you sometimes! I can't imagine how hard it is. Makes me feel kinda silly for complaining to Dan about how much trouble I have getting dinner on the table! But as you know, this motherhood thing is sanctifying (and tough!). I'll offer prayers for you tonight at our prayer group.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't have any experience here but I just wanted to offer that Woodchuck's Cider is gluten free and almost feels like drinking beer. It looks like beer anyway, and has alcohol in it and sometimes a drink helps.
    You're a good mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks Anna! I get Woodchuck's for a special treat and just had some on vacation! The Belgian White is delish.

      Delete
  24. Oh! I thought of another blog/website that you might like (and please please forgive me, I'm a fixer by nature), KitchenStewardship.com has a lot of GF recipes and i think she might even be DF too. I really do hope your day today is 10000x better!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is tough! I do so much better with a gluten free/dairy free, but if I have a little bit, I can sometimes get away with it, so you definitely have my sympathy with having to make absolutely certain that there is no gluten at all! Next time I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't eat, I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Kaitlin I had no idea! Now I feel really awful for being all, yum look at all the good food for the fall potluck thing.

    Just wanted to ask if you've tried the OAMM Gluten free / Dairy free freezer cooking menus? Maybe that could make life just a little easier?
    http://onceamonthmeals.com/menus/gluten-free-dairy-free/

    <3 hugs and hang in there. With all the gluten sensitivities getting recognition lately, hopefully someone will figure out a way around these food allergies in the future.

    <3 jeni

    ReplyDelete
  27. Clicking over here from Kendra's blog, and just wanted to offer you a virtual hug. My son was diagnosed with a severe egg allergy when he was 3 and I went from being a "normal" mom who just threw whatever into the grocery cart to being the mom that spends 2 hours in the grocery reading every label and holds up the line at the bakery while trying (in vain) to find some kind of premade treat that doesn't have eggs. (For the record, Oreos, which are the Frankenstein's Monster of cookies.) Fast forward 4 years, and while I still spend hours in the grocery, I have lists and lists and pages of reliable egg-free/dairy-free recipes that I can whip up for my family. No, my kid has never had a brownie, but that's OK. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish! I remember discovering that Oreos were dairy free and thinking, "Uhhh a CHOCOLATE, CREAM filled cookie doesn't have dairy???" It's disturbing. And delicious.

      Delete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!