Sunday, November 3, 2013

Quick Takes: Three Great Days and Some Quotes

-1-
Gratuitous Halloween Recap:



My kids were so dang cute. I wish the jacket belonged to us so I could dress Paul in it all winter. And the side pony, I'm tempted to have it make a weekly appearance.

We hosted a party with a few friends and then ventured to a nearby church from a Trunk or Treat. Hannah was in heaven. She overcame her shyness to say "titt or teat" (wow, I did't realize how bad that would look until I typed it out....) and "daint you" to every warm body holding candy. And although she was majorly pumped by the party and the dressing up and the free candy, nothing could have prepared her for the excitement of passing out candy to the strangers that came to our door. 


For Hannah, the after party was even better than the main event.

-2-
I'm really glad I have another year before I need to hit All Saints Day hard. We didn't do much this year since Hannah's not quite old enough to understand. And I had to work. But this year served as a good wake up call as to how hard I'm going to need to work to help my kids get excited about All Saints Day in the future. Following up a day filled with parties and candy and dressing up with....."We get to go to Mass tonight!" probably isn't going to cut it.

-3-
We did make a small alter to celebrate.


All the importants are represented. Noah and Miriam and saints of the Old Testament. St. Paul, St. Joseph, and Our Lady bring in the New. St. Rose Philippine Duchesne and a collection of boy Saints and holy cards for the early and modern Church. And Sts. Melissa and Doug give it a nice finishing touch.

-4-
Other than our collection of Saints, we spent All Saints Day listening to this song:


Hannah asked for it again and again and I was happy to oblige.

-5-

We failed big time with Al Souls Day yesterday. (I started these on Friday....finishing them on Sunday.) But if everything goes according to plan today we are going to go for a walk and pray in the cemetery. The weather is beautiful and there are several big statues that I know Hannah will love. I'm really looking forward to it.

-6-
Some Hannah quotes:

While reading this beautiful version of Noah's Ark and pointing to what might be an onyx.
H: What's that?
Ted: Well, I'm not exactly sure. It's from Africa. Africa is a different continent. Uh, you don't know what a continent is. It's an animal from a country that is really, really far away.
H: 
Ted:
H: It's pony?
Just go with pony, dad.

While watching me put on my robe.
H: Mommy that's a pretty dress?
Me: It's called a robe.
H: Oh. You're awfully cute.
Me: Awe, thanks Hannah!
H: I want to wear a rose like you.

-7-
Some quotes from Paul.

"mama"


And hearing that word from this boy is likely the sweetest thing I've ever heard. I have pretty stringent criteria for what I consider a first word. Not just babbling. Must be directed toward the person/object. Most be obvious that he's actually referring to person/object. Must say it immediately upon seeing person/object for the first time. Etc.

I waited three days to say for sure. He's not even eight months old so I was very skeptical. But he's saying it. For real. He's saying "mama".

Parenthood is awesome.

Happy Sunday!


2 comments:

  1. Love you costumes! You are all so tough and sweet. All Saints Day was a fail for us too. Junior dressed as St. George (the dragon slayer) for Halloween and All Saints and Miss A was the dragon (seahorse costume found for $3.50 at a resale shop). He was most disappointed that he didn't get to get up in front of everyone at mass and tell them about St. George; and we didn't go to the homeschool party because my blind Aunt was with us as she is visiting from out of town and I didn't think a room full of running kids would be a very good idea for her.

    There's always next year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling family photo! You rock. I'm totally laughing at your hard core speech therapist baby's first word test. Glad handsome Paul picked "Mama!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!