Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Why I Love (and Hate) Blogging

I think it's pretty obvious that I really like blogging. I wouldn't have spent the last four years pouring my heart and head into this thing if I didn't enjoy it. I do. My blog helps me process how I feel about certain things. It helps me connect with some really amazing people. It serves as my baby book and a way to share stories and pictures with family who live far away. I like to believe that sometimes it's a tool for evangelization. It allows me to help families with questions about speech therapy. And the countless emails I've received from readers with questions related to infertility assure me that it still serves as a beacon of hope or a source of information for those struggling to conceive.

It's all of those things. But it's also a huge time sucker. And an energy drainer. And, if I'm honest, sometimes a chore.

I've never been a secretive or private person. I've always worn my heart of my sleeve and said what I think and not really cared who heard it or what anyone thought. And sometimes that can be a really wonderful quality. Like when Ted and I give the NFP talks on the Engaged Encounter weekends. Staring at a room full of college students and young adults looking at us like we have a third eye or horns coming out of our head. But we're open and totally honest with them when we tell them things they might not know about birth control. When we open their eyes to the fact that it increases your risk for breast cancer and doesn't actually treat a woman's gynecological issues. We're open when we expose our sex life for strangers at the hope of helping them make good decisions with their own sexuality.

And we're able to do this because they are just that, strangers. We don't know that they're all already living together. We don't know that every woman in the room is likely already on the pill. We don't know that they think we're total nut jobs.  We realize these things are pretty likely, but we don't know them. And that helps us present the information in a factual way. Without worrying that we're going to personally offend someone or make anyone feel singled out. Am I making any sense?

That's the way it is with blogging. I write. You read. I don't even know who you are. Sure, I know a lot of my followers and are friends with them either in real life or online. I know that certain family members read regularly even though they rarely say anything. But other than that, I have no idea who reads these words. And I don't know what you think about them. I have family members who know a lot about me from reading these posts over the years, but I know next to nothing about them. They don't blog. We don't talk. We live days away. So it goes. There are college friends reading that I haven't talked to in years. Years! They know so much about me. So much about Hannah and Paul and what is going on in our lives right now. But I can't even remember how many kids they have. Or what their names are. Or what state they're even living in. Because blogging is inherently one sided, no matter how many comments I respond to or facebook friends I have.

And I guess, right now, that kinda bothers me. It bothers me to know so little about certain people who know so much about me. And it bothers me that blogging can sometimes feel like something I need to do rather than something I want to do. I'm not writing in the hopes of coming up with a solution. (Unless of course everyone I care about who is reading this would also start a blog and/or send me a lengthy email about everything that is happening in their life and their views on major moral issues as well as someone creating a computer program that could just read my thoughts so I didn't have to ever sit down and type them out. That would be a doable solution.) And I'm not making any sort of grand blogging exit announcement or fishing for comments begging me to stay. Just....bein' honest.

I like telling people about my life. I like recording it so I can go back and read about it whenever I want. I like the many true and authentic friendships I've forged through blogging and the people I've helped and the people who've helped me. For now, that's still enough to keep me hanging on.

So I'll keep writing. And extolling the virtues of the Catholic Church and complaining about the vices of the culture of death. And handing out personal information about our lives like candy to strangers on Halloween. For now.

I'm not addicted. I can quit any time. Promise ;)

11 comments:

  1. Had to laugh at the not knowing whether people think y'all are nut jobs. How do you ever really know that even when you know someone? ;) Know what I'm sayin? ;)

    Actually I was peaking through a few posts last night and have to say I love your blog, your writing and your personality totally shines through!

    I think it's so funny that at my hs reunion this past Summer, I had so many classmates coming up and asking about current events in my life and saying they read my FB posts all the time when I had no idea because none of them ever comment or even show up in my feed! It's weird and one-sided. People I didn't even think were on FB knew all kinds of stuff... Though, hardly anyone could remember if I had "3 or 4 kids" which sounds like a big difference to me personally.

    Anyway, I'm definitely a wear my heart on my sleeve type of girl too. :) Enjoying your posts and knowing you Kaitlin.

    <3 jeni


    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what you are saying. I do try to follow and keep up with any other blogger who follows my blog but it can be a challenge. I guess I blog for 3 reasons: 1) it is an easy way to keep distant family and friends up to date with photos and videos of our kids and family, 2) Sometimes it is helpful for me to write something to clarify it for myself or I feel like there is just something I need to say even if no one else listens or gets it, at least I tried and if God wants someone to get something from it, they will and 3) Every once in a blue moon, someone actually does receive support, comfort, insight, or some other thing making it worth the effort.

    There are many things I’d like to blog about that I can’t at the present time due to familial restraints, but it is nice to know that, one day, when I can, it is there.

    Also, if you need a break from blogging, there is nothing wrong with that too. Just post a notice that your taking a break and will check in a few weeks, or a few months, or whatever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has a lot to do with why I have basically stopped blogging (every week I say I will write again, but I never do!). I find it really difficult to write without knowing who my audience is. Am I sharing too much personal stuff? Am I writing more informative things, but only family is reading it and they have no interest? I know people can choose to read or not, but I feel like I have to meet expectations somehow (for my 20 readers!). I would really like to get back into it, but I find this such a block for me! I love that others don't seem to have this problem so I can read (stalk?) lots of blogs-- yours definitely included!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am one of the lurkers and I appreciate your bravery and boldness to share your life. You make me laugh and smile and help me not feel lonely in the battle to raise two babies in this crazy crazy world. It is comforting to know that there are good people states away working hard to raise their family in an honorable way too. I do feel a bit odd to know your thoughts on such a personal level but yet I can't remember your laugh or describe the car you drive or what your house looks like. I understand your concerns and if you need to take a break or make your blog private, all of us lurkers would get that. No hard feelings and we would just be happy that you felt comforatable to share a portion of your life. - Tera Dover

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can relate to SO MUCH of this. I consider quitting all the time; but then I miss a day, and some of my family members get bummed. So I keep at it. Usually, when it comes to my love/hate relationship with blogging, the love wins out. It looks like that's true for you, too--and I hope YOU keep at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly what I've been feeling with social media lately. It isn't that I want to quit blogging or delete facebook or on and on... it's just that I'm seeing so much more a need for myself to invest (and I guess get a return on that investment?) in right there in front of my face (or over the phone) friends. There's a balance I haven't exactly got right. But I don't blog much. Probably doing both reaching out in real life and the digital world wouldn't hurt me. It seems you've got a great community of support and network of friends here and in "the real world". :) And you're a real inspiration to a lot of moms here too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am guilty of being a subscriber, but almost never commenting. There have been so many times I have tried to leave a comment, but with two kids two and under it either got deleted, or the computer crashed, or the toddler decided to raid the fridge, you get the idea. Even though I haven't reached out like I would like to, I have greatly enjoyed reading your ideas, praying for you guys, sympathizing with the day to day struggles of two young kiddos and food intolerances, etc. I find it comforting to know that there are other young Catholic mamas out there going through many of the same things I am. If I remember correctly, I found your blog during the time when my husband and I had been ttc for almost a year, it gave me hope to see that you had overcome the cross of infertility. We were blessed with our little Samuel shortly thereafter. I think you have touched a lot of lives through this blog of yours. Please don't take that as a guilt trip to keep blogging, I understand the need to keep prorities with time management. Just wanted to reach out and say thank you for sharing your thoughts with us over these past years. God Bless! -Katherine Scott

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish we were neighbors! That is how much I love everything about you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am that college friend that you haven't talked to in years :) I read your blog regularly and love reading about Hannah and Paul! I do blog (mostly about the kids and Evie's doctors appointments) so if you want to know everything about my life too - go for it! Love keeping up with you on here! jhmorgan13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wrestle with all these sorts of thoughts, even though I just have a teeny tiny blog! It was helpful to hear your articulate them, and I'm glad you're sticking around - we'd miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great insights! These are problems our mothers never had! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!