Friday, December 6, 2013

Behold, Your Mother

Do you know her? Your mother. The Blessed Virgin Mary. The mother of your Lord. Do you know her?

I've been in a blogging rut for quite some time and I think I finally know why. It became very clear to me while at a concert last night that I have been failing in my duty and mission to tell you, each and every one of you, about your mom. Yes, I know the title of this blog is named for Mary. Yes, I've written about her many times. But I've never really told you about her. I've never invited you to know her like I know her. I've shied away from it because I was scared. Nervous. Overwhelmed. Inadequate. You name it. I've wanted to write this post for four years but couldn't muster up the courage. What if I get a theological detail wrong? What if I can't answer the questions that people might ask? I'm not a theologian. And while I do read books and listen to talks about our lady, I can't ever seem to retain that information and spit it back out when I need to.

So I keep quiet.

And I don't talk about how much I love her.

Or invite you to fall in love with her too.

But here goes.


Ted surprised me with tickets to a Matt Maher and Audrey Assad concert last night. (Are they coming to your city? Go, go go!) It was at a local Baptist church that holds a Christmas concert every year around this time. Because both of those artists are Catholic, there was a huge crowd from the Catholic Student Union, local Catholic youth groups, and regular Florida Catholics like us. Plus lots of Baptists that belong to that church. Plus lots of other Christians in town that heard about the concert from local Christian radio. It was so beautiful to have people of so many different faiths in one location praising Jesus and singing Christmas carols together.

As a friend said, Audrey "sings flawlessly, effortlessly, like I what I imagine Heaven will sound like." She sang a song I had heard before but never really listened to. Gabriel's MessageThe lyrics were the words the angel Gabriel spoke to Mary when he announced the coming of our Lord. Straight from scripture. Right out of the gospel of Luke.

The angel Gabriel from Heaven came

His wings as drifted snow, his eyes as flame; 
"All hail", said he, "Thou lowly maiden Mary,"
Most highly favoured lady, Gloria!

"For known a blessed Mother thou shalt be,
All generations laud and honour thee,
Thy Son shall be Emmanuel, by seers foretold,
Most highly favoured lady," Gloria!

Then gentle Mary meekly bowed her head,
"To me be as it pleaseth God," she said,
"My soul shall laud and magnify his holy name,"
Most highly favoured lady, Gloria!



It was beautiful. And powerful. And then, she told us that she was going to sing the same song again, only in Latin. And Matt Maher started playing the piano and the music sent chills up my spine. He was playing the interlude to Ave Maria. I've been Catholic my whole life and had no idea what the words to Ave Maria actually were. Then, in that Baptist church, Audrey Assad and Matt Maher performed the most beautiful version of this ancient song I had ever heard. Not a song worshipping Mary, as so many Baptists mistakenly believe we do. But a song remembering her pivotal role in bringing us our King. Remembering her heroic "yes" to God and His will for her life. Remembering the promise that all generations would call her blessed! We praised God with the same words that Mary used to praise Him. My soul shall laud and magnify His holy name.


And I just cried. Tears rolling down my cheeks. Because it hit me that so many of my friends and family don't know her. Don't know their mother. And I was overcome with this desire to tell you about her.


Why is it so crazy to believe that we can't go to Jesus in the same way He came to us? Through His mother. Why can't we love and honor and cherish this beautiful woman who our Lord loves so much? If God is our Father and Jesus our Brother, why do we reject His mother as our mother? Do you think that loving Mary could in any way diminish your love for Jesus? As if the respect and love I give my own mother-in-law could somehow make my husband jealous? Or hurt? Never.

Please, don't let some mistaken preacher who espouses false teachings about the Catholic Church's love for Mary keep you from knowing your mother. Don't let fallen away Catholics be your example for the role of Mary in your own life. Don't let what you might think of as "praying" to Mary, keep you from asking your mom for help. Asking your mom to be with you on this journey to Jesus.

I love my son. I think he is the most beautiful and wonderful little boy who has ever graced this planet. I would do anything to keep him from harm. I would lay down my life without question to keep him safe. And I know that there will never be another human being who will love him as much as I do. I see it in the relationship Ted and his mom have. I love my husband, but she loves him more. She always will. He's her baby and her only son and she is absolutely smitten with the 27 year old man who towers above her, beats her in tennis, and makes her laugh harder than anyone else can. She loves him like nobody else can love him.

If Mary loves Jesus even half as much as I love Paul and my mother-in-law loves Ted, then she most definitely loves Him more than any one of us. More than any saint who has ever lived. More than any priest or preacher or pope. She loves Him with a mother's love. Why not let her show us how to love Jesus? Why not ask her to help us love Him better? When Ted and I were first married I called my mother-in-law to get his favorite cake recipe so I could make it for his birthday. I went to her to help me love my own husband. And I loved him in the same way she had done for so many years. I didn't venture out on my own and decide to make a different cake. I sought the help of his mother.

Jesus wants us to ask His mother for help. He wants us to love and honor and cherish her just as He did. She's not just another Biblical figure like Ester or Ruth or Martha. She is the mother of our God. If we can strive to imitate these other beautiful women in the Bible, then surely we can strive to imitate the life of Jesus' own mother.

Please, ask Mary what kind of relationship she wants to have with you. Talk to her in your heart and open yourself up to the possibility that she wants to be your mother. If that freaks you out, then ask Jesus instead. Ask Him if He wants you to honor His mother. To take seriously the commandment to honor your father and mother and include His mother in that command. How could He say no? How could He not want you to love her and accept her prayers and her help.


I don't have all the answers for every misconception that exists about Mary. I can't perfectly explain Her role in the Church despite my belief in it. But I love her. And I know how much my love for her has helped me love Jesus. And it very literally brought me to tears knowing that so many of you might not love her. And even more, than you might not know of her love for you.

I couldn't help but think that some of the Baptists at the concert last night were moved to consider Mary in a new light after learning about the Ave Maria and seeing these two very Christian artists sing it in their church. I couldn't help but have hope that you might see her in a new light too. She's more than a statue in a nativity scene. More than a character that Protestants talk about once a year at Christmas time. I don't keep it a secret that I wish the whole world was Catholic. I wish everyone knew the power and purpose of the Church Christ established 2000 years ago. I wish everyone could experience the healing salve of confession and look to the saints in times of trouble. I wish everyone would really and honestly reflect on Jesus' command to eat His body and drink His blood and then receive Him every Sunday in the Eucharist. But more than any of these, I wish everyone would know His mother.

She's your mom. Do you know her? Behold, your mother. (John 19:27)

14 comments:

  1. Kaitlin, this is so beautiful! I have heard so many conversion stories where praying to Mary was one of the hardest things for converts to accept. For me, it was just the opposite. Mary drew me in and brought me to her Son. She never "steals the spotlight" from Jesus, but points us to Him. Her "yes" is such a perfect example for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I are expecting our second child and, with it being Advent, I have been thinking about Mary as the Mother of God recently.

    I'm a man, so I can't really speak on the "having a child in the womb" experience. But the idea of a woman being chosen to carry God in her womb is both awesome and mysterious all at the same time! Mary is formed by God ("before I formed you in the womb I knew you" Jer. 1:5) and then Mary forms Jesus, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity (God), in her womb!

    I love the scene from the movie "The Passion of the Christ" that shows Christ falling, then Mary remembering a time when the Christ child was falling. She quickly runs to him and tells Christ that she is there for Him. Oh man, when I saw that in the theater I bawled my eyes out like a baby! But that is the love that Mary has for us! She is there to meet us when we fall, then she leads us to her Son! And the Son cannot refuse His Mother! Ah, the love of the Son and Mother is so strong and how blessed we are to be wrapped up in that love, like one big, holy bear hug!

    Ok, that was just on my mind after reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post! I don't understand the 'Mary thing' (and you know I don't mean that negatively at all), but this does put it in perspective a bit! Thanks for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Kaitlin. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was beautiful. I have felt the same way about Mary, and even when it becomes tempting to venture out on my own or somewhere else, Mary is who keeps me faithful to the Catholic Church.

    One thing I had never considered was that Albert's mom love him more than me. I hadn't even questioned the idea because I love him so much. But you are correct. The few little things he does that annoy me, his mother will always find endearing. Every flaw is her every gift. I have always respected her, but I will approach our relationship with new eyes and a new heart. Very insightful, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Thank you for this post. This Advent, I am 6 months pregnant with my own son and have been Catholic (grew up Protestant Christian) for almost 3 years. Mary drew me to the Church - and this Advent I feel even more connected to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Echoing others to repeat that this is a truly beautiful post. I shy away from religious and theological posts even though it is such a big part of my life for the same reasons you listed. I know where you are coming from. But you did a great job and I hope you are encouraged to share more reflections like these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have difficulty with Mary. Not in terms of doctrine or prayer. I can pray to her and hold all the truths of the RCC. My difficulty is in relating to her as my mother. My difficulty stems though from my difficult relationship with my mother. With her, I have a defensive wall to protect myself and it naturally rises toward anyone who presumes to act motherly to me. I’ve yet to be able to figure out how to really get beyond it with Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I also see Mary as a friend, as the best woman friend I could ever have. I know this is old, but I'll post just in case someone sees it and it helps!

      Delete
  9. So I'm slow getting around to checking in on my favorite blogs! Just seeing this now :)

    What a great post and so true. I too recorded that entire Ave Maria! I told Brian that may have been the best concert I've been to yet.

    Personally speaking, I have always been aware of Mary all my life--it's funny because I had an instant attraction to the rosary as a little girl because someone told me that you got to say a prayer per bead, which clearly meant I got to ask 50+ requests for stuff. Funny because that's not untrue, but when you get older sometimes the rosary kind of feels like a drag or is hard to get into at times.

    But anyway, Mary has been calling me and has been after me and I never realized until she met with me after Josie was born and rushed to Shands and I was displaced in Gainesville super depressed. It was like Our Lady of Sorrows held me the whole time, and ever since, I've been so in love with Mary. I probably always had, but never realized it and took it for granted. :)

    So I LOVE your blog name. Funny before I knew you in person, I definitely had blog hopped a time or two and seen it. Such a small world.

    Hope Hannah is feeling better and not sick anymore <3 Great post. More please!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so intrigued by this, Kaitlin, and I've been thinking about it since I read this blog a week or so ago. Any good book recommendations for those of us who grew up Protestant, about relating to Mary? (may look at doing a study at our church too, so would love good group reads). thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last weekend of April 2013, I felt Mary draw me to herself like never before. I felt like she wanted me to consecrate myself to her. I also felt like she wanted me to take that Monday and Tuesday off and spend time with my kids instead. I did. That Wednesday, we found out my son's cancer had relapsed. The following months, I felt her mantle around me, and I felt like she carried the weight of my grief for me. My son would kiss his miraculous medal and pray, "Mary, wrap your arms around me." He consecrated himself to Mary, too. After his death, I had a dream in which he visited an apartment building and was excited to be able to soon live there, but above all, he had bonded with the landlady and wanted to share his joy with us. Because of this dream, I believe he visited heaven and Mary before he died, and the day he surprised us by awakening (we thought he no longer would) and was radiant with joy but we couldn't understand his very garbled speech - he was telling us about the Blessed Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this is super old, but I got chills reading it! As a Protestant who loves Mary, I am beyond thrilled that the Baptist church did that. What a beautiful testimony of Christian unity. When Mary is a theological topic she is scary and divisive, but as a person and the mother of God she can't help but heal our divisions. Thank you so much for this! I need to talk to my mama....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!