Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Undocumented Year

In the past two weeks I've wanted to write about a dozen blog posts. Recaps of 2013. Photo updates of our exhausting 11 day trip to Missouri. Reflections on our annual New Year's retreat. I've wanted to blog about meeting my sister's fiance and tell the world how happy I am for her. And lament the fact that our best friends moved away and I'm sad and lonely without them. Or post any of the adorable quotes that are coming out of Hannah's mouth on a daily basis. (I want you to STAY wif me and BE wif me while you PLAY wif me! Just one, I couldn't help it.)

But instead, I'm just going to write this one.

I'm done with social media. Done with facebook and done with blogging. At least, I need to be done with it. I need a break.

As Ted and I discussed our goals and plans for 2014, I realized that none of them have anything to do with my "online presence" or with blogging or with reading status updates. Shocking, I know. What I do want to do is to read more with Hannah. Stretch her mind and her attention span by finding more and better books all the time. Make reading a favorite activity that we do throughout the day instead of mostly at bedtime.

I want to focus on disciplining Paul, rather than just carrying him around so he won't get into trouble. I want to make the difficult effort to teach him right from wrong at his adorable young age so that our family can live more peacefully with a baby who is learning to listen.

I want to read. Real books. From real authors. Not 800 words on a blog post that I will forget as quickly as I exit out of the tab.

I want to strengthen the friendships I've been fortunate to make here in Florida. I want to make time for more coffee dates and ladies nights instead of stretching myself crazy stupid thin trying to keep up with every friend I've ever had by commenting on pictures of their kids on facebook.

I want to get better at meal planning and budgeting instead of just throwing food on the table because I was too lazy to do anything during the kids' naps except zone out on the internet.

I want to finally, finally start getting up before the kids in the morning. Sip my coffee in peace and talk to Jesus before I check my email. Rather than roll out of bed bleary eyed and exhausted because I stayed up way too late wasting time on the stupid internet.

And it's just glaringly obvious to me that none of those things are possible as long as I'm living a distracted life. A life spent with one foot in the real world and one foot planted firmly in the endless void of social media. Not to mention the fact that I just don't have time anymore. Not with two kids and a super fun husband and three part time jobs and enough food allergies to make cooking a full time job in itself.

So, I'm giving it up. For a year. A full freaking year. 2014 shall hence be known as my undocumented year. My year of living in, and only in, the real world. It's going to be hard. Really stinking super hard. But that 's just more evidence that I need to do it. And while I may post a picture of the kids on facebook from time to time (it's the only place I can keep track of their monthly baby photos!), read a few of my favorite blogs if I'm really needing a pick-me-up, or do a quick blog post if anything super exciting needs to be announced, as of now I'm signing off.  There are plenty of other blogs out there for you to read. Plenty of other people for you to keep up with on facebook. If you're going to miss me, then maybe you could give me a call sometime? Or plan a Skype date? Or hop on a plane and come visit because the beach is awesome and we don't get snow here.

It's going to take some time for me to get used to this. I do some of my best thinking on this blog. Heck, I even thought through this entire resolution by writing this post in my head. And I have no idea what I'll decide to do at the end of this year. But I've gotta give it a shot.

So here goes. I'm signing off. And giving my honest to goodness all out effort to live this year for them.



14 comments:

  1. Good for you! Enjoy the freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll miss reading your posts! But I think this is a fantastic idea. Best of luck!! And happy 2014. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud your decision, Kaitlin -- though I have to admit I will miss your presence here.

    I found your blog almost one year ago, somehow, from way out in the Southwest, and it has been a blessing to me as I have come home to my faith, leaving behind my rather purposeless (I see that now!) and self-focused 20s to discern what my Catholic faith means to me personally, instead of just taking nothing upon myself and letting it be the nice-but-never-really-personally-explored hand-me-down religion of my parents. Reading your posts (and those of other Catholic bloggers in this same season of life) has truly helped me come closer to our faith in immeasurable ways. It's given me examples of real people, like me and my husband, doing their best amid jobs, bills, chores, kids, popular culture and just modern American life, to live their faith, make it the cornerstone of personal and family life, and share it with others. I really appreciate that, because I have come from not really thinking about faith at all to, this past summer, being married in the Church (after a few years of being only civilly married) and now expecting our first baby. I'm sure I don't need to tell you how inviting God into my life and marriage has enriched my interior and exterior worlds beyond anything I could have imagined. I guess I just want you to know that, through this blog, you have helped get me there in a small, faraway but meaningful way. Thank you!

    I've enjoyed your writing, but I completely support your decision to be done. I had a blog myself a while back, and while there were benefits and I enjoyed parts of it, after a while I came to the same place you are now. I wanted to do it, but I wanted to experience and accomplish other things more. Stepping away was the right thing to do for me. What I gained in its place was so worthwhile. I did miss the writing-thinking thing you mention, the figuring things out as you write them. I ended up replacing blogging with a pretty notebook and pen (and then another and another and another), where I puzzle things out or document them in that quiet early-morning or just-before-bed time it's so hard to get when the Internet is your master. Sometimes I just wrote, but more often than not I found my words were letters or prayers to God, and the peace that resulted from sharing everything I had previously written for an unknown audience with just Him has been a game changer in my mood, attitude, stress level, etc.

    Sorry to write so long. I just wanted to say thank you and RIGHT ON for making a decision that's best for you and your family. Take care and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes and prayers for a blessed and holy 2014. I will miss your musings, but know it is for a good cause. Go forth and be a SAINT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you!!! I quit FB 2 years ago and DO NOT miss it! I could totally use less zoning out but I'm waiting til lent!!! Lol

    Call me when you get bored! Can cook and talk during nap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll miss you. Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will miss you and your posts! Wishing you a blessed and fruitful 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! I'm happy for you. You will feel a weight off your shoulders and allow the peace of Christ to seep into your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never commented before but I have been reading your blog since before Hannah was born. I so enjoy your blog and your perspective and you have taught me so much. Thank you for writing. I commend you for taking time off to focus on your family. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog but CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so pleased to read this post. I gave up FB two years ago and have been so much the better (never have tweeted or any other social media but blogging). This year I will still blog and read blogs but will limit that quite a bit. I hope to one day enjoy the freedom you have now. God bless! I will be praying that you continue with your resolution as, being off FB, I know how lonely it can be sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww! We will miss you, but totally understand! Social media steals your time! Truly! Have a blessed year! Hope to "see" you and your beautiful family again in 2015!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!