We met with our NaPro doctor just two days after finding out we were pregnant. With God's perfect timing, we were actually going to be driving through his town on our way home that very day. (He's three hours away.) His office is neither Catholic nor NaPro. It's a regular OB/GYN clinic that just happens to have an amazing Catholic doctor within it. I'm not sure what the staff thinks about his methods. Sometimes they give me the impression that they think he's crazy. I was so happy to prove them wrong!
I called to make an appointment on Tuesday, the day after we found out and one day before going to see him. When I told the receptionist my name she said "Oh, let me put you right through Kaitlin!" I felt like a celebrity when I got to skip the infamous leave-a-message-call-you-back-hours-later dance I was so used to. When Susan, our nurse, answered the phone she yelled, "Congratulations!!" It was all too much. I couldn't believe it. She made an appointment for me right away and said she couldn't wait to see me the next day. Later, I even got a text from one of the ultrasound girls congratulating me!
When we got there it was just as I had always wanted it to be. I sat in that waiting room so many times trying to hold back tears from being surrounded by pregnant women. But now, I was one of them! I was there for a wonderful reason, not a sad one!
A nurse that we had only seen once before called us back and hugged and congratulated us. She told us that "everyone here is so excited for you." How crazy is that? When we saw Susan we hugged her and thanked her for all of her hard work. I couldn't wait to see my doctor.
When we finally saw him I gave him the biggest hug I possibly could. I'm so grateful for him and wanted him to know how much he meant to us. We just has a short appointment (he's not really our OB since we live so far away) but he still took the time to answer all of our questions and explain things to us.
We asked Susan if she would take a picture with us (Has anyone else done this? Or am I the only one this crazy??) She was embarrassed but flattered. Our doctor walked by right as we were taking the picture. I was nervous he would think we were weird for asking, but we didn't even have to. He jumped right in the picture, threw his arms around me and Ted, and smiled for the camera.
I wanted to post the pictures here, but Ted said that was a privacy violation! Just picture a really tall dad, an average sized nurse and doctor, and a super short mom with arms around each other beaming from ear to ear.
Another nurse showed Ted how to do the PIO injections. She did a great job explaining everything. We were very grateful. The shot didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would, but boy was I sore later! I could hardly walk! For my second shot, Ted released the oil MUCH slower than the nurse did and it didn't hurt nearly as much.
On our way out we saw both of our ultrasound girls who had done our follicle study last November. We hugged them and thanked them for all they did. They were beaming with pride.
It was a surreal day. Way better than I ever could have imagined it. Our pregnancy was finally beginning!!
Isn't it fun to have a bunch of doctors and nurses who you know really care about you? We had considered asking for a picture with the u/s tech who we loved - but Snicks talked me out of it. Our first ob appt is tomorrow. I am anxious to meet the doctor and hope we like her!
ReplyDeleteSo great that the doctor and nurses take so much interest in you. I'm glad your appointment went well and I hope your local ob is good too.
ReplyDeleteIt really does sound like that was an amazing staff at your napro doc's office! That's so cool! And so cute that you guys took a picture ;) I am praying my napro doc is going to be just as great as everyone else's! I'm counting down the days!!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness. I am loving the excitement of your first pregnancy! And NAPRO folks continue to sound amazing!
ReplyDeleteI love this- it sounds like one of the stories out of "women healed," the way you describe everything and how much joy is in your voice!
ReplyDeleteHow great that you can be a testament to the "crazy" Dr and his crazy protocols for that entire office, too!
I meant to tell you that I received your card in the mail and was so touched. Thank you so much, I have it on my hutch :)
Oh, and I am totally anal retentive (in case you haven't figured it out from my blog yet), and it has been bothering me to see "PIO" shots written as "POI." Progesterone-in-Oil. Feel free to delete me from your sidebar for being a psycho :P
I love this! And cried AGAIN! I know what it feels like to feel like a celebrity in this way and to have so many who have been cheering you on rejoicing with you. It is indescribable, but you did a great job! I love that you took a pic too. I wish I had-love those lab ladies! And I have always had a special nurse at each office that has been pulling for me. These people make such a difference in our lives. So glad it was a great experience!
ReplyDeleteAnd I caught myself typing POI too-what is up with that?! lol Too funny!
ReplyDeleteI am still just so excited for you! SO cute that you took a pic with the nurse and doctor! I think I may have done the same thing. :)
ReplyDeleteThat will be a great picture for your baby's scrapbook. Love it! :)
ReplyDeleteOh TCIE-this is equally annoying to me! Maybe even more so since I'm the one that made the mistake! Ya know, the first time I read that acronym my mind said "p-o-i" even though I know what it stands for. It will probably be this way forever-I'm very bad at making my mind cooperate. Going to fix my typo.......now!
ReplyDeleteAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I just stopped back on your blog today to see how it was with you. I'm so very happy for you! Prayers for a peaceful, smooth pregnancy! All the angels guard over your little one! Congratulations to you and your husband.
ReplyDelete