Is that title a little too melodramatic? I'm referring to registering for baby stuff. It seriously was a dream come true.
I know people are checking my side bar, "9 weeks?? No one registers at 9 weeks!" And to them I say, "you're right-no one registers at 9 weeks....unless you live in Mississippi." Ted's mom and sister are throwing me a shower over Labor Day Weekend. It'll still be pretty early (I'll be 4 1/2 months) but that's the weekend that his family flies and drives in from all over the country for a mini-reunion. It only made sense to have the shower on that weekend. And the invitations will go out in early August. That's only a month away! I'm visiting my sister in St. Louis for the weekend and it is seriously the last time I will be near a Target from now until the shower. Oh Mississippi...
I asked Ted if he minded me registering without him. He couldn't have cared less. "What?" I asked him, "you haven't dreamed about this day since you were 10 years old??" "Nope," he replied, "I trust ya."
So my sister and I had the honor and privilege of picking out every stinkin' adorable little thing this baby will need. I'm exhausted!
And I admit that the fear of miscarriage passed through my mind a few times as we picked out Boppy slipcovers and snot suctioners. "What if no one ever gets to look at this registry? What if the baby is already gone and this is all a waste?" But I didn't allow the thought to stick around very long. It was a great day! It was something I've ALWAYS wanted to do. And even if our little one was watching me today from heaven, I'll always remember getting to feel like a normal, pregnant woman picking out items for the baby in her womb. (Although, I did get several stares from other moms probably wondering which one of us was pregnant! Six pounds ladies!! Six pounds!)
And to top it off-a second dream come true today! A while back I blogged about my sorrow over going to a bridesmaid dress fitting. I ordered the dress right before my January surgery and had a hard time deciding whether to buy big (in hopes of a 4 month baby bump) or stick with my normal size. I decided to stick with my normal size. I'm sure you understand why. The thought of having a dress taken in because I wasn't pregnant was unbearable.
I went in for my fitting in May and made it through without tears. It fit almost perfectly, but needed to be taken in at the bust (the story of my life!). We found out just two days later that Baby A had been conceived!
While I was in Missouri, I figured I'd better go back and make sure the bust would still fit. I didn't want them to take it in if they didn't need to. That is, after all, the only place I've really grown any....or so I thought. The dress that was once too big didn't even zip up!!! They are going to have to take it out before the wedding! I was beyond excited! I'm actually bigger! My dream came true-the dress was too small! I text (texted??) the bride right away. Most brides would probably stress about that so close to their wedding. Her response? "Hooray!!" Oh how I love you Lauren.
What a great day. All the burp clothes, tiny socks, crib sheets, and cloth diapers a woman could handle. And a dress that was too small because of her growing baby. My infertile heart overflows.
How exciting to be registering!! I've been so scared that this is all going to go away that we didn't start getting any baby things (apart from gifts) until today when we went garage sale browsing. Praying for you and your little one and so happy to hear things are going so well :) :)
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait to take that major step!! Congrats for getting to fulfill your the dream! And yeah for a growing baby that made your dress too small! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is a dream-come-true post for your readers, too! I love it! Sooooo sweet, and I can just see you going around with your little register scanner! So fun!
ReplyDeleteI love Ted's response, ha ha ha!
So glad the dress didn't fit! :)
This is so exciting! I can feel you excitement through my computer. I got a little giggly reading it and now dh is giving me the side-eye wondering what I'm grinning about.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great day is right!
ReplyDeleteDon't worry, if you're weird than I'm insane. I registered like 2.5 yrs ago. It wasn't comprehensive by any means, and it's not a public registry people can search and find... but it was fun just the same. And if I never get pg or adopt, at least I'll have had that experience, so I know how excited you must have been.
WHOOP!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! What a wonderful day! I know what you mean- there's a sort of "sacredness" (obviously lower-case 's') to the baby section and being able to register. It really is happening for you! I'm so happy!!!
ReplyDeleteVery exciting about the registry and the dress! I can imagine how exciting it was to think about how YOUR baby is going to use those things.
ReplyDeleteDreams do come true!
It is not too early! I know how exciting it must be, heck the first test I took that day I wanted to register and spent hours on target.com looking at stuff. Emjoy every minute :)
ReplyDeleteJust looked at the registries! It looked like you had a great time!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy this special time!!! How exciting! I used to cringe in the baby sections but now I love it! Skip around the strollers and diapers for me. :)
ReplyDeleteGod is good! So happy for you Kaitlin!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome that you are registering. You have a great reason for your dress not fitting!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing day! I smiled reading this!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! I bet that was tons of fun! I forget--are you guys going to find out the sex of the baby or leave it a surprise?
ReplyDeleteWoops! I knew I mistyped your name! Sorry!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThat IS a great day! I remember the joy like it was yesterday, bonding with my sister over paci and bottle recommendations. And I think your timing is perfect. It can be a stressful time, like wedding registries, so I am glad you enjoyed it for what it was. And getting the dress taken out.IS.AWESOME! I love this for you! I was a bridesmaid while pregnant and I had to have the dress made by a streamstress. My growing belly def kept her on her toes. You have an awesome bride!
ReplyDeleteThats so exciting! Glad you got to register! :)
ReplyDeleteKaitlin - oh how exciting!!! :) Enjoy every minute. And as a bride, it wouldn't have bothered me either that your dress was now too small.. what a great "problem" to have! :-D
ReplyDelete