Nothing I could ever think of or write about would be as worthwhile and the reflection I want to share with you. It's from The Reed of God by Caryll Houslander. Lauren is hosting a book study on it and I am blown away by every single line. This reflection on Mary as pregnant with Jesus especially stood out to me. I just had to share.
Working, eating, she was forming His body from hers. His flesh and blood. From her humanity she gave Him His humanity.
Walking in the streets of Nazareth to do her shopping, visit her friends, she set His feet on the path of Jerusalem.
Washing, weaving, kneading, sweeping, her hands prepared His hands for the nails.
Every beat of her heart gave Him His heart to love with. His heart to be broken by love.
All her experience of the world about her was gathered to Christ growing in her.
Looking upon the flowers, she gave Him human sight. Talking with her neighbors, she gave Him a human voice. The voice we still hear in the silence of souls saying, 'Consider the lilies of the field.'
Sleeping her her still room, she gave Him the sleep of the child in the cradle, the sleep of the young man rocked on the storm-tossed boat.
Breaking and eating the bread, drinking the wine of the country, she gave Him His flesh and blood; she prepared the Host for the Mass.
What an amazing and truly awesome responsibility. To be the Mother of God. We can't turn to Mary often enough. We can't ask for her intercession too many times. She was closer to Jesus than any other human being ever was and ever will be. And she gives herself to us today as a model of grace and an intercessor before the throne.
We are so, so blessed.
Lord, let every beat of my heart, every step I take, every prayer I pray, and every moment I spend in rest bring my baby closer to You. Let the love I show to others imprint Your love on my baby's soul. Help me to model my life after Your Blessed Mother. Help me to be a worthy mother to the precious soul which you have entrusted to me.
Beautiful! Caryll Houselander is pretty amazing. Her writings on suffering are very profound as well.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting! :)
I'm so glad that you get to share your awesome Love of Mary with a brand-new little Catholic! This baby is also pretty blessed to have a Dad who is both a strong Catholic AND a fisherman. Talk about winning the gene jackpot! :-)
ReplyDeleteThat part of the book was SOOOOO profound. Ok- let's be honest- every word she writes is profound- but THAT part. WOW. Preparing the hands for the cross? Preparing the Host for Mass? Wow. It takes my breath away. And what incredible imagery while YOU are pregnant!!! YOU are doing the same thing! Preparing your little one to change the world. He already has(or she!)changed your world! You will never be the same having experienced these last few months. And that, my friend, changes the whole world. :)
ReplyDeleteYou are so right, we cannot turn to Mary enough. My very wise sweet former priest told me the same thing for penance every time, to increase my devotion to the Blessed Mother. We cannot devote enough time and prayer to her!
ReplyDeleteWow... This is one of the best reflections I've ever read! I need a copy of this... hurry up and finish!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am speechless. That doesn't happen too often. So unbelievably beautiful. I think I may have to get me a copy of this book asap!
ReplyDeleteThat was amazingly beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThat's so beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.
ReplyDelete