Sunday, November 28, 2010

Advent- More Like Mary Style

Just like every Advent, I want this one to be different. Every year I tell myself that I'm going to really celebrate Christ's birth in a way that will unite me to Him and make me a better Christian. So far, my record is far from impressive.

It's just so dang easy to get caught up with Christmas and completely lose sight of the preparation for Christmas.  Not that purchasing gifts, decorating trees, and baking cookies are bad. Those are all wonderful things. But if those thing cause me to lose sight of what this season is really about, then I've completely missed the point of Christmas.

I'm trying a different approach this year. None of my past approaches seem to have worked-so it can't hurt! This year, I will be focusing on Advent from Mary's perspective.

It's true that Christmas has everything to do with Jesus, the Christ child born in a manger in Bethlehem. My goal for this Advent, and every Advent, is to become closer to Him, honor His wondrous birth, and spread His love with those around me. There is one person, however, who I know can help me with this better than any other.

Mary is the central character is the story leading up to Christmas. She experienced the nativity in a way that no other human can ever experience. Getting to know Mary better this Advent will, no doubt, bring me closer to understanding the mystery of her Son.

One example that helps me to understand this phenomenon is what takes place when I get to know my friends' parents. I grew up in a very small town and went to school with the same 40 classmates for 13 years. I knew them inside and out. I knew their siblings, their dogs, their parents, and even their grandparents. I didn't realize how much this influenced my ability to really know my friends.

When I went off to college I made new friends. I had a bigger pool of people to choose from than the 40 kids in my class and I found friends whom I really clicked with. Our bonds grew stronger and stronger and these new friends quickly became the rocks I depended on to help me navigate my faith. I remember thinking it was odd, however, that I didn't know them outside of college. It was like something was holding me back from truly understanding these new friends, even though I was closer to them than I had ever been to previous friends. It hit me-I didn't know their parents.

One by one I met the parents of my college friends and one by one I started to understand them a little better. I suddenly understood where Lauren got her sense of humor and Jessie got her generosity. I understood where Lindsey got her tenacity and Jolyn got her quirky endearing qualities.  Meeting Ashley's parents helped me to understand her in a way that would never have been possible had I not had that opportunity.  All because I met the men and women who raised these beautiful souls. I better understood my friends, how to relate to them, what made them tick, because I knew their parents.

I think it's the same with Mary. From my experience, many Protestant Christians are worried that a relationship with Mary would somehow overshadow a relationship with Jesus. But when I met and really got to know the parents of my closest friends, our friendships only grew closer. Sadly, Mary's critical role in salvation history is glossed over out of fear that she'll somehow take away from our ability to grow closer to Jesus. But which of my friends would have wanted to keep me from getting to know their parents in an effort to maintain our close friendship? Not a one. And Jesus doesn't either.

So, for this Advent, I'm getting to know Mary. I'm going to let her lead me through the preparations for her Son. I'm going to let her guide me into a deeper relationship with Him. And if I allow myself to hear her message, to see the nativity through her eyes, and to prepare for His coming with her heart, then I will celebrate Christmas morning with a new and profound relationship with her infant Son.

15 comments:

  1. Tears in my eyes from reading this post! Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta used to say "No Mother, No Son!" in response to Protestants questions about her "odd" obsession with Our Blessed Mother.

    I know this first pregnant Advent will be very special for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful!! I agree, Mary's view is the perfect view.... I am reading an obscure book written by St. Maximilian Kolbe about Mary (that he wrote for his priests) and it is blowing my mind. I am finally learning so much more about Mary's "place" with us and with the Trinity and how to approach her. Amazing! But I digress; I am so excited to hear more about how Advent goes for you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have really opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at Mary. It is so true that you get to know a person better from getting to know those closest to them. You make a great comparison! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL! I love this! I love to think about Christ's passion through the eyes of Mary. Her perspective penetrates and moves my soul so deeply because I can relate to her love as a mother.
    It only makes sense to do the same for Advent! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kaitlin! I like this post. It brings up a lot of good points, and I feel like I'll read it through a few times.

    I saw that a while ago you had written about the website birthornot.com I thought you would like to see this: http://www.lifenews.com/2010/11/23/nat-6877/

    I'm so thankful that it was truly a hoax!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this reflection! You expressed a Catholic's love for Mary so beautifully and perfectly! And now I am inspired to re-double my Advent efforts and prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful post!!!! You've inspired me. I've been meaning for years to read The World's First Love and I think I'll use this opportunity to do it!!!

    (Are you going to finish the Reed of God? I have one more chapter...hopefully I'll post it this Thursday!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! I've been wanting to strengthen my relationship with Mary and you have really inspired me to get to it. Advent is the perfect time for this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauren-I fully inted to finish the book as part of my Advent preparation! I will come back and comment when I do!

    Kayla-thanks for the link. I read a different, but similar story after I posted that and updated the post to reflect that. Still stick isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful way of explaining the importance of Mary! I will pray for you this Advent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, I hadn't seen the updated post!
    It is awful, even as a hoax. I suppose all we can do is pray for them, especially during Advent, since they are preparing for their own baby and the Christ child.

    Also, I love seeing your little ticker on the side counting down the days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this post - I needed to read it! I struggle with not having the relationship to Mary that I feel I should...I have just never "felt" a connection despite wanting to, but I feel a renewed urgency to devote some prayer and energy to this for Advent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great post - great analogy!

    I bet being a mother yourself this Advent will help you identify with Mary better than before. It did for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! Mary always leads us to her Son!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an awesome, awesome post! I also feel the same way about the importance of meeting your friends' families to really know them, but had never connected it to Mary. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!