Every few months or so Ted and I have a conversation about how we can be more productive in our evenings. We're always getting to bed much later than we planned and waking up tired every morning. We're always forgetting that we meant to pay that bill, mail that card, do that load of laundry. Ted never gets as much homework finished as he had planned and I still didn't get around to that list of random things to be done before the baby gets here. Suddenly it's 10:00 and we didn't even get to half of what we intended to accomplish. We're exhausted and barely find the energy to crawl into bed and say our prayers.
The "solution" to this "problem" is always to quit "wasting time" in the evening. We identify blocks of time that are not well spent and promise each other we will help each other do better from here on out.
The main culprit: the after dinner lingering.
The scene: I cook a big meal (or a small one) and Ted helps in every way he knows how. He sets the table as I put the finish touches on my masterpiece (ha!). We sit down, start eating, and don't say much to each other. He's exhausted from a hard day at work and I'm inhaling food and trying not to choke. But right as the last few bites are being taken and the glass of water is being finished off, the conversation starts to flow. We talk about the intricacies of our days, funny events we saw on the news, politics, family, stuff we saw on facebook, last week's homily. Anything and everything.
We put our feet up and sit at the kitchen table just taking each other in. Falling in love all over again with the person we married. Learning more about each other while we nibble at the last few grains of rice in our plates.
The dishes sit, piled up at the sink and waiting to be washed. The stack of bills still needs to be paid. Homework beckons. And that "baby to do" list isn't getting any shorter.
But we don't care. It'll get done. Or not. Either way-we're enjoying each other's company.
Sometimes our conversation will end with me climbing in Ted's lap and kissing on him before we start dishes. He always knows when this is coming, like he reads it on my face, and he pushes his chair away from the table to make room for my ever expanding body to climb in and savor the last few minutes of peace before the busy evening sets in.
Tonight was no exception as we sat and discussed everything under the sun. It seemed to last just a little longer than usual and in the back of my mind I was thinking, "We're only gonna get so many more of these."
Our due date is exactly two months away. And while I know we'll always make family dinners a priority and make an effort to take time for "just the two of us"- I also know it will never be quite the same. The baby will need to be changed. The toddler will need to go to time out. The 7 year old will be late for t-ball practice. That special time of day that occurs between our bellies being full and the dishes getting washed will slip away, or at least change dramatically. And I know I'll miss it. I welcome the diaper changes, the t-ball practices, and even the time-outs. But I'll miss those moments. Those conversations that go on forever without interruption.
I've heard that the best possible thing a mother can do for her child is to love their father.
I'm striving to do the "best" thing in every aspect of this little baby's life. But even if our birth goes horribly wrong and I wind up with more drugs than an addict, breastfeeding is a disaster, I'm forced to send them to world's worst day care, and fail in just about every other area of mothering that exists.....I hope I always remember when I look back, years from now, that I truly did the best possible thing for them.
I loved their father.
Awesome, beautiful and very true post. It's amazing though cause I was a little sad thinking about losing those moments before my son was born (he's 2 now) and recently had started worrying again about this same thing as my next is due on Christmas Eve (!!HURRAY!!).
ReplyDeleteHowever, your post reminded me that once the baby was born I didn't miss those moments because they didn't go away, those moments just changed. Whether it is a moment in the morning as the baby is asleep between you and you are both awake or later when the baby is in the tub and you both are watching. It is amazing how it works even if the time is shorter, you almost feel as if you have said more, maybe because you appreciate it even more.
Anyway, thanks so much for the lovely post it was just what I needed to hear.
I really liked this post Kaitlin and it is a good reminder that it should be the #1 priority in my marriage. Both my DH and I are big time "doers" so sometimes we just need to remember to just be - with each other. Even though a lot of time after we get the stuff done he unwinds with the TV and I unwind with blogs. Yes, we are together, but I have been longing to think of ways to increase the actual one on one communication time. Sorry for rambling, but thank you for this. I will need to talk this to prayer.
ReplyDeleteYes, this is the best possible thing. And the lingering post-baby might be sliced and diced, thrown in the air, and land all over the place... but it's enjoyable amidst the randomness and sporadicity of it all nonetheless.
ReplyDeleteWonderful. Beautiful post. Enjoy those moments :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post!! What a great reminder of cherishing moments.
ReplyDeleteAnd I've heard that saying before about the best thing a mother can do for her child....and I love it! I think it couldn't be even more true!!
Okay, how is it possible that the cutest couple on the blogs just got CUTER????? Sheesh!!!!
ReplyDeleteYours is one blessed little baby!
So cute and so true! Mike and I always try to remember what it was like before we had Mikey (because you will feel like your kids have ALWAYS been there - so weird) and I think that's what we did! Stay in bed extra long on weekends to just be together, snuggle together on the couch before going to bed, etc. It's a magical time and, thankfully, fleeting for you two! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteSo true! And so beautifully written! Travis and I believe that loving each other in front of our kids is the foundation for all other good things we can do.
ReplyDeleteLove it! I actually got goosebumps at the end!
ReplyDeleteThis is so true! I once heard it said that you can't always put your children first. At first I was shocked! But then I thought abot it and realized it was totally true. Sometimes your spouse must come first and by doing that you are doing the best thing possible for your children.
ReplyDeleteComing from a divorced family I never saw loving parents. They divorced when I was 6 and hated each other for years before that. Now I see my in-laws. They are still married bu it is obvious that they didn't take the time out for each other while the boys were growing up. Now their boys have moved out and they seem to not even know each other. It's very very sad. If only they would have taken the time out years ago and made way other a priority they would be enjoying having more time now.
So so true!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post and a good reminder to us all! Dh and I are so happy lately and it is obvious the difference is laughter and unplanned spontaneous conversations. we can be way to much to do list people! I think you have your priorities just right!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOne of the most special things a priest told me was that St. Joseph and Our Blessed Mother had a real marriage on earth. (I'd always thought of them before as these chaste, cardboard cutouts--more of a mother and father than a real husband and wife). Their spiritual friendship must have been so amazing! Can you imagine the conversations they had at the dinner table?
How wonderful that we get to share in their joy. A beautiful marriage is a joy forever!
That was an amazing post. What a great way to start the morning :)
ReplyDeleteYou made me cry. In a good way. :)
ReplyDeleteK-
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty obsessed with this post! Oh my! Kaitlin! WHen I first started reading your blog you just So reminded me of me (only you're way cuter!). I'm praying I get to know the joy of marriage soon :) In God's time of course! Oh, and I hope you can still sneak a moment to hop in your husband's lap and giving a smooch even when you have kids. Something tells me you will :)
You are TOOOO precious!!!!! I absolutely love this image! I love it love it love it! I wish we were closer and could hang out as couples! Your baby is one blessed little soul!
ReplyDeleteThis is a WONDERFUL post!!! And SO true. Our "bad habit" is starting to talk right as we settle in bed for the night. Just like you, we've gone to bed too late for one reason or another. Then we finally decide we're relaxed enough to talk about our days or some political thing or it's time to laugh and joke and tease. My parents were divorced, but DH's parents are not and they "date each other" SO well. I mean they are adorable like you two. I just hope their good habits rub off on our marriage too!
ReplyDeleteLOVE lap kisses! haha. Dh makes fun of me b.c every morning before we go to work I have to go sit in his lap and we say our prayers. This I give him little kisses all over his face:) Can't get enough! Love this post!
ReplyDeleteGreat reminder and beautiful post!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post! You guys sound like the cutest couple.
ReplyDeleteYes, mealtimes will change after kids...I was thinking about pre-kid mealtimes tonight, when we couldn't get a word in edgewise around our toddler's gibberish babbling, or when we could, it was to say, "Stop stirring your mashed potatoes into your water!" or "You still have to eat that after mutilating it, you know." But there will be other times. Naptime, ten precious minutes when the toddler actually sits down and quietly plays without interrupting you once, and bedtime. We talk a lot at bedtime. Yes, it's a bad habit, but it is good for our relationship.
You'll forgive me for commenting so late after this post is posted. I am just getting around to looking through my "reader". This piece is inspiring and uplifting. Thank you.
ReplyDelete