Monday, December 13, 2010

If You're Looking for Coherent Thoughts...

you won't find them here. Not tonight. I've come down with some sort of illness-a cold I guess. I've had a sore throat since Saturday and now it's accompanied by a headache and all over stiffness. No fever...at least not yet.

My office is in a day care and there were two confirmed cases of strep today. I got my butt to my OB and made sure I didn't have it. I don't. Woo hoo!

Ted has confined me to the recliner for the evening and wants me to "relax". This is my fourth attempt at relaxing.

My first attempt was read a book. I just started reading Great With Child and am loving it. It's a collection of letters from a mom to her pregnant friend and it's just beautiful. A very light read, but with some real substance. Even though it's a light read, it was too much for my brain this evening. Next.

My second attempt was to take a nap on the couch. The baby deciding to start a new gymnastic routine and my back started hurting about 30 seconds into it. Fail.

My third attempt was to watch TV. Ha! I should have known. We don't have cable, so I had about 6 channels to choose from. The only thing that looked remotely interesting was The Doctors. Today's theme was common reasons for calling in sick to work. After discussing the color of your snot and location of your rash, they turned to PMS. They took a letter from a viewer that complained of calling in sick every single month on the first few days of her period. Her symptoms? Severe and debilitating cramps, vomiting, constant back ache, and nausea.

What wonderful advice did the OB/GYN give her? What magical cure did this stupid TV show reveal to keep her from having to call in sick you ask? Of all things-ibuprofen!!!! My goodness, I'm sure she was thinking, I never thought to take ibuprofen!! Or try a heating pad. A heating pad?? Genius!

Seriously?? This doctor (a female!) must have never actually had a period like the one the woman described. Or ever seen a woman in person with that type of pain. Those were my exact symptoms for the better part of 12 years. I could have swallowed the entire bottle of ibuprofen and scorched my back until my skin came off. I still would have felt like absolute shit. You know what did help?? Surgery!

I kept waiting for her to say it. "Such severe pain is not normal and is an indicator that something could be wrong. You should see your OB/GYN and ask about what could be causing this." But did she? Of course not. She suggested trying the beloved birth control pill to lighten your periods or getting a magical shot that would stop them all together. No mention of the fact that this woman could possibly be infested with endometriosis that is overtaking her entire reproductive system as she vomits in the toilet every 28-31 days. No mention of trying to get the root of the problem and get her the help she really needs. Nope-just put a little birth control band aid on it and go about your merry way.

It's "doctors" like her that forced me to see almost a dozen different "doctors" in my lifetime before I could get any real information about what was causing my pain. Ibuprofen?? No, never heard of it. So that's what I've been missing!!

Click. No more TV.

So this is my fourth attempt at relaxing. I'll blog myself to health and away from boredom. But those last couple paragraphs probably just made my blood pressure spike, so this doesn't seem to be working either.

Sigh.

Anybody got any other ideas?

22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I hit enter before I finished. Whatever you do, just refer to me as V. *wink wink*

    Here are some awesome sentences, guaranteed to make you laugh:

    My family and I like to sit around the Christmas tree and give presidents to each other.

    At the party, there are numerous of things going on: music playing, dancing, talking, and DRIKING.

    This person obliviously is having some emotional problems and they cannot fix them.

    The sand between my toes massages my feet like a massage that a Korean woman only wishes she could give.

    Some people have different fashion scents.

    I made sure I smelled nice with my Paris Hilton Perfume on and my body features were clean and looking nice.

    I could go on and on, but I'm sure somewhere in there, you at least got a giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...

    For the record, Veronica teachers English to COLLEGE students!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I think I've proven your thoughts are no where near incoherent.

    At least on my scale of coherency.

    And back into my grading cave I go... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. That is annoying about The Doctors. :( The whole field of OB/GYN needs an overhaul!

    As for relaxing, I say take a nice warm bath! Bubbles, a candle, a magazine, and some music is the perfect recipe! I love taking baths pregnant because I feel weightless and the warm water eases my muscles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. TV makes me so mad!!!

    Hope you were able to relax after all last night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time to take up knitting or needlepoint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say a cup of warm milk (although that may make your throat too "mucousy"). I hope that you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't watch 'The Doctors"!!

    For relaxation I recommend being read to or a warm bath resting on your side.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. Nothing worse than being huge-o pregnant and sick.

    Do you have the rosary on CD where you could just close your eyes and listen to it? Or a crossword book? Crosswords are my go-to.

    Praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The TV makes me want to scream too. I can't believe they didn't ONCE recommend further testing!? I hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. :)

    I like to go window shopping, take a hot shower, drink a black tea with MILK & SUGAR.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha, Kaitlin. I can't tell if you were being funny or really made a typo... "Veronica teachers English..."

    Definitely don't come to hang out at my house... no relaxation found here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ob on The Doctors is an idiot. I saw a clip from that show on a blog where she convinced a woman who was wavering about her birth options that an epidural has no bad side-effects and there is no reason or need to feel the pain of labor. Gag me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely a typo!!! "Veronica teachers English". See V, I'm not as coherent as you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I laughed out loud and read Veronica's comments to my roommates. All three of us are taking our finals this week. :)

    I'll offer up my finals for you! I hope the discomfort gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was chalking that one up to the pain. ;)

    I would try to offer advice about what to do, but I'm sure it would be absolutely useless as I've never been pregnant. So I figured the least I could do was give you a laugh.

    P.S. I have, quite literally, at least a dozen or so more if you still need something to giggle over.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kayla-that is so sweet! I stayed home from work today because it's just getting worse. I'm sitting in bed right now trying to offer my pain for you to do well on your finals. Let me know how they go!! And do good so I don't wallow for nothing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. UGH! You captured the insanity of that doctor's advice perfectly. I mean, seriously????

    I hope you are feeling better, sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice hot bath followed by my favorite warm drink... then a movie or book. I know you tried the tv/book but try it AFTER a warm soak in a bubbly bath... the next time anyway - this is a few days too late!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry you don't feel well, Katie! Are you a tea drinker? This always help soothe me. Such an inexpensive treat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!