There is no special formula, no concrete rules for preparing your heart for Jesus. Outward signs of waiting and anticipation are beautiful-waiting until Gaudete Sunday to put up your tree, keeping the baby Jesus hidden from the Nativity Scenes until Christmas Day-but these are not required. There really isn't a right or wrong way to prepare yourself for Jesus' birth-as long as you're preparing.
That's what I've learned this Advent. Each family has its own unique set of traditions. As long as those traditions point our hearts to Christ-they're beautiful.
I do think it's important to spend as much time (more actually) preparing your heart as you spend preparing your home. This year, for us, that meant holding off on the tree until a little later and spending some extra time praying in front of our Advent Wreath each night. Nothing elaborate. Nothing fancy. Just an attitude of anticipation. An awareness of an impending miracle.
I'm off work this last week of Advent and am going to try to make the most of it. I'm going to prepare my heart by going to daily Mass and confession. I'm going to prepare my home by tackling the ever growing "baby-to-do" list and physically prepare for the arrival of our own miracle child. It is my hope and prayer that as I wash little onesies, pack for the hospital, and get a safety inspection for the car seat my heart and home will become more ready to welcome, not only my own child, but the Christ Child as well.
Welcome!
Our third Christmas tree. They were out of the 7 foot ones :(
Joy beyond my imagination...
All four candles are lit in anticipation.
And what home could truly be prepared for Christ's coming without.......
Homemade shotgun shell garland!
oh, I LOVE this!!!
ReplyDeletepraying baby comes soon...
I loved this post! Your Christmas tree is perfect, but I understand the disappointment of not having a bigger one. :)
ReplyDeleteI laughed out loud at the shotgun garland! HILARIOUS!!!!!! :)
Enjoy your week off!
I love this!
ReplyDeleteK and I bought the same ornament this year! :)
Those are the best lights ever! I thing I'm going to have to find those for all ofthe men in my family!!!!
Shotgun shell garland? Are you sure you aren't from the South?
ReplyDeleteLOVE this!!!! (But shouldn't you be a little shorter on that ornament? ;) )
ReplyDeleteKaren-Ted actually made them with hot glue and and used shotgun shells! Who knew he had a crafty side??
ReplyDeleteAnn-maybe we've always been a little southern at heart!
And Leila-my character on the ornament is the perfect size. It's the freakishly tall husband that's missing :)
Love your reflections here and your decor! The shotgun shell garland is hysterical! :-D
ReplyDeleteok, how did you make the shotgun garland?
ReplyDeleteI like the wreath, Katie. Enjoy your break, especially the washing of teeny tiny cute clothes.
ReplyDeleteHa that is hilarious! I love whimsy in a home! I'm right there with you on the "gettin' big" stage...not cute anymore! 'Hang in there hon - your almost there!
ReplyDeleteYour tree is beautiful and the shotgun shell garland just cracks me up.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!!
ReplyDeleteTree=beautiful.
ReplyDeleteShotgun shell decoration=awesomeness!!
Just as I had suspected. Tell Ted I want to see fish hook ornaments next year ;)
ReplyDeleteHow have we gone this long without hanging our ornaments with fish hooks??
ReplyDelete