Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thoughts for Thursday (2)

What am I cooking? I made bass cakes (like crab cakes, but with bass) last night. Tonight? Leftovers!

What are my weekend plans? Saturday morning we're helping some friends move out of their house. (Well-Ted is helping. I doubt I'll be much good. I'll probably just play with their adorable little girl.) Sunday we're putting up our Christmas tree! And maybe going to a basketball game.

What are my prayer intentions for the day? For my prayer buddy. For a friend back home who just had her second baby, Sew-who just had her first baby, and another friend who just found out she's pregnant with her second!

What have I done for my marriage this week? I asked Ted what I did to make him feel special this week. He told me that I turned on the lamp in the morning instead of the overhead light, woke him up sweetly before work, and made him dinner every night.

What am I reading? The Reed of God. I fell behind in the book study that Lauren started-but I'm working my way back. WOW! This book is amazing.

What’s challenging me lately? Putting on my socks, getting in and out of my car, making it to the bathroom....

Something that made me think? I talked to someone who is a practicing Jehovah's Witness today about why they don't celebrate Christmas (or Thanksgiving or birthdays). I had never even met a Jehovah's Witness before-so I had lots of questions. She made me think. I especially thought about how people misunderstand Christmas to be about celebrating "Christ's birthday". We're not celebrating the fact that he would have turned 2,011 years old on December 25th.  We're celebrating the fact that God became Man! That the Word was made Flesh!  I think that's a fundamental difference.
 
Happy Friday Eve!

9 comments:

  1. OK, Katie, you know you are killing me with the words "and another friend who just found out she's pregnant with her second". Tell me if I'm gonna care... if that makes sense. Is my heart going to leap largely for this new little soul? Or is this some friend of yours someone soul I haven't crossed paths with yet? Girl, you know what I mean. :) I would beat a confession out of you...but not now... with you being definitively pregnant and all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have not yet "crossed path with this soul" so although I'm sure you're excited for anyone who is pregnant-your heart wont leap for this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you can find your feet again soon! Can't wait to "meet" your little one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Katie. And, oh, I laughed when I read your challenge with the socks. I so remember this! It was honestly the worst thing at the end of my pregnancy, and I can say that because I was this smiling, healthy, beamingly happy ball of pregnancy all day ... minus my morning battle with socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a friend in HS who was a JW. We wrote papers on the differences between each other's religions. Not in depth, but it was so interesting. The thing I hated is when she would tell me it was her birthday today. She did it 4 years straight and I never knew what to say because "happy birthday" seemed wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bass cakes, eh? Interesting! I do love crab cakes!

    Love what you've pointed out about The Word becoming Flesh! Amen!

    Glad you're back for the Reed of God!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, putting on my socks is the hardest thing I do each day! I'm crossing my fingers the end of my next pregnancy is in the summer so I can just wear flip-flops every day! (Although I hear then that the heat is tough, so I guess there are difficulties to being pregnant in every season!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what Ted appreciated! It's so simple but so sweet. PS - I also loved your last post but forgot to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God becoming Man, Word made Flesh - good reminders for me as I prepare this Advent because it's easy to get caught up with the 'birthday' aspect of it as I'm teaching Joan.

    And yes, go to the basketball game - I think we're going!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!