-1-
Sometimes, such as this time right now, when she's napping in the other room-I feel like nothing has changed. I just ate lunch and checked blogs and facebook and all is quiet. Then I glance over and see the swing sitting in the living room and the burp cloths next to me on the couch and I smile.
It's real. She's real. She's sleeping now and she'll wake up soon and I'll get to cuddle her and feed her and kiss her all over.
It's definitely changed. And it's so good.
-2-
We started cloth diapers this week! They're still a little big on her but we haven't had any leaks yet. Anybody have any suggestions for preventing diaper rash in cloth? Coconut oil? A&D? I'm not sure what to use that won't ruin the diapers.
-3-
Hannah took a bottle for the first time last night! Ted got to feed her an entire feeding and they both did great. I was so worried about nipple confusion and feared that breastfeeding would be completely wrecked once she discovered the bottle.
I shouldn't have doubted my girl.
(And unfortunately the reason we had to introduce the bottle is that I'm going back to work next week. Yes-she'll only be four weeks old :( She'll be cared for by Ted and two wonderful friends and I have a week off for Spring Break the following week. But I'm still miserable. I know I need to "practice" being away from her, but I can't even bring myself to do that.)
-4-
Speaking of breastfeeding-just a quick update on how it's going. Um-amazing. We are seriously so, so blessed in this department. She latched on at birth. Filled 6-7 diapers on DAY ONE! Milk came in with no problem on day three. NO nipple pain. AT ALL. (I hope I didn't jinx myself...) Pumping is going great-I can pump 3 ounces to freeze in just a few minutes. I have between 50 and 60 ounces stored in the freezer right now.
Our only problem is a bit of an oversupply (probably from the pumping) and a forceful letdown. Like really, really forceful. I have to take her off as soon as I have a let-down and catch it all in a burp cloth. Otherwise-she chokes and gags and gets red, watery eyes and blue lips. And sometimes she gets squirted in the eye. So sorry Hannah.
I go through about a dozen disposable breast pads a day and wash my nursing tanks and bras all. the. time.
Don't ever let anyone tell you that small chested women don't have enough milk!
-5-
A friend made the comment to me that my birth must have been very "healing" after struggling with infertility. She hit the nail on the head! This whole experience has been surreal. My body has amazed me. It grew my baby perfectly. It birthed my baby perfectly. It's feeding my baby perfectly. (Right Laura?)
Deo Gratias!
-6-
I have so many posts swirling around in my head. One about how we chose Hannah's name. One on random thoughts of my birth experience. I hope I get them out before they disappear into oblivion.
-7-
Lent starts Wednesday. What are you "giving up"? What are you "doing?" I'm feeling called to give up talking on the phone and listening to the radio while driving. Not easy considering I drive all over town for work. But I think I need to do more than that. Any suggestions?
Check out my friend Alisha's post on Lenten sacrifices. Definitely something I hadn't considered before and it really helped me understand my need to suffer.
-8-
I need an eighth quick take.
I'm going shopping for new jeans this afternoon...... What an AWESOME problem to have! No, I don't like having to spend money on new jeans. I wish my old jeans fit because they are cute and broken in how I like them. But I'm taking my sweet baby girl with me to buy these jeans.
Bliss.

1. Hannah is so adorable. I LOVE these photos!
ReplyDelete2. I had major oversupply problems with my first, which seemed okay for the first six weeks or so and then she started having lots of tummy troubles, which I now think was caused by foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I was steadily changing pads for months and no one told me that wasn't quite normal. With my second, I worked really hard to control my supply (nursing two--or more--feedings on just one side made the biggest difference) and we never had all the "colic" issues in months two through six that we had with my first (and I could get rid of those pads much sooner). It's impossible to know, of course, just how much these things are related, but I would encourage you to read up at the LLI website or KellyMom.com on regulating your supply just in case it really gets to be too much. I just always thought, "it's better than not having enough," but it was so much better the second time around when I at least had a little less!
Thanks for the shout out!
ReplyDeleteI am so so happy that breastfeeding is going so well for you! That is definitely a blessing :)
ReplyDeleteSo glad that everything is going great! Prayers for your first week back at work! I can't imagine how hard that'll be :(
ReplyDeleteNot that I need to tell you, momma, but she's so GORGEOUS!
ReplyDeleteI thought I had oversupply problems! Wow, you really do. But it's so great that you're pumping so much and that Ted will be caring for her while you work. How sweet :)
I'll pray for you during your transition back.
What a beautiful baby girl! I used cloth diapers on all my babies (my youngest is already 9, sigh!) I didn't have any problems with diaper rash. All I used was petroleum jelly with each change.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your sweet baby!
What a fun shopping buddy to have! She is so sweet!
ReplyDeleteAre you trying to prevent diaper rash or cure it? B/c I've never had a problem with A and hear it's rare with cloth diapers. If you're experiencing it, maybe it's the detergent? Does bum genius's website suggest anything? Glad they fit well!
ReplyDeleteAMAZING to read about your breastfeeding going so well. That is just amazing, Kaitlin! Your friend was so right about this being a healing experience. Praise God!!
She is so so so so beautiful!!!!!!
P.S. Cecilia is going to mail you the bow. I gave her your address. Yea! Beautiful boy for a beautiful baby!
The joy you have as a new mama is getting me super excited to have my daughter next month.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy the transition has been good for you, a blessing in all you have been through. I will be praying for you as you go back to work with her at home. I too am discerning the same thing. With so many calls and ways to be a good mama, sometimes we need to remind ourselves we do what is best for our family out of love and prayer! Blessings, Holly
OH she is so gorgeous! Bliss indeed! I had a forceful let down with my son and the poor guy choked on it all the time. It's great that you let it flow off a little first, I also tried to warn him by touching his cheek as a signal that the gush was coming and holding him upright so gravity was minimized. She's just lovely...lovely...lovely!
ReplyDeleteShe is just gorgeous. I'm so sorry you have to go back to work :(
ReplyDeleteand I have NEVER had a problem with diaper rash in cloth diapers. Do NOT use A and D unless you put a liner in. It will ruin your diapers. You can cut up old tshirts or pieces of fleece to use as liners and use whatever diaper cream you want if you need to.
Those pics of Hannah are PRECIOUS! Especially the one where she is asleep. soooooo sweet!
ReplyDeleteAnd I had a crazy forceful let down too!....Poor Iz would choke and sputter...I could shoot milk across the room (Okay WAYYYY too much information! LOL!) But I can totally relate!
Glad you all are doing so well! I haven't put the thing in the mail yet (sorry!) I will get it out on Monday.
Maybe some babies are more susceptible to diaper rash...we've used cloth diapers from the beginning but deal with a breakout about once every 6-8 weeks. Make sure your diapers are clean clean clean (you washed them before using them right?) and be sure you are only using a scant tablespoon of detergent when you wash them and wash them on hot for several cycles. Soap build-up can happen quickly and can irritate baby's skin. You may need to strip your diapers if you suspect there is detergent buildup.
ReplyDeleteI use coconut oil (it just takes a little) on her bottom but you can also use breastmilk--just be careful though because you can cause a yeast infection. But if the rash is really bad, I use any ol' storebought brand of diaper ointment and put a cut up t-shirt or scrap of flannel between her and the diaper.
Also...as much as you can, allow her little bottom to air dry between changes. I would lay Sarah on an absorbent cloth and just let the fresh air to circulate around her diaper region.
You can buy washable breast pads so that you're not burning through the disposables so quickly.
She's absolutely gorgeous!
She's so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWe always give up the radio during Lent, so no music at all. But I try to put on religious talks cd's etc instead. That would be a thought while driving...
I agree that diaper rash with cloth diapers is rare and that coconut oil would work or I've used lanolin too since I never needing it really while nursing. Or if you want something heavy and a cd safe diaper cream then, google CJ's BUTTer. It's fab!
ReplyDeleteYour supply is still young and establishing itself and I bet it will calm down a little in another couple of weeks.
Also, a dr once told me that breastmilk was the best cure for pink eye and goopy allergy/cold eyes. Hannah should be good to go in that department ;) have you consider cloth breast pads? My faves were made out of wool and organic bamboo velour...super soft and really absorbent.
Haha Mandi (Sanders Family)! I actually thought of you when I mentioned I was using disposable breast pads! I did try using some cloth ones-but I leaked right through those and felt like I had a wet rag sitting in my bra all day. I had to change them every half hour and I don't have that many pads! I promise though, if my supply doesn't calm down in the next few weeks, to try the kind that you suggest ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the diaper advice everyone!
I love #5 - how beautiful.
ReplyDeleteHi - this is Laura Dearman's sister. I had same issue with oversupply (which I was thankful in months 6-12 when I pumped at work too) and lilipads saved me! I could go without a bra at night for the first time and loved it...TMI probably but they are great...check them out.
ReplyDeleteWe used disposable diapers for the first year of my daughter's life, then I switched to cloth diapers (BumGenius) and used Charlie's detergent to wash them.
ReplyDeleteWithin a week or so, my poor daughter had the WORST looking rash or burn on her bottom, it was so sad. I am still not sure whether it was the Charlie's detergent or the cloth diapers but I have read online that Charlie's detergent can cause bad burns on baby's skin so I don't recommend it.
I am starting over with cloth diapering by switching to Tide, using only a very small amount of it, and doing lots of extra rinses. I really want it to work out but her skin is really sensitive and she just doesn't stay as dry in cloth I don't think.