Sunday, October 2, 2011

Where I'm From

I'm from bunk beds, heart wallpaper, and worn pink carpet. 

I'm from Germany and Poland and France. But really just Missouri.

From don't smack your gum, don't let the door slam, push your sleeves up, and of course you can have friends over.

I'm from after-school trips to feed the cows, unlocking the gate, and imagination in a rickety hay loft.

I'm from nature walks with an empty ice cream bucket, pine cones, and an art project.

I am from Cardinals baseball, brown eyes and curly hair, from Bob and Peggy, Tom and Joan, and Chink and Rose.

I'm from deep fried everything, homemade ice cream, angel food cake from a box, and chicken and dumplings made from scratch.

I am from St. Vincent's. Baptized, Reconciled, Given Communion, Confirmed, promoted, graduated, married, and witness to another Baptism.

I'm from 50 something slushies, bike streamers, and a million trips around the block.

I'm from sunsets on a glassy lake and thin crust pizza.

I'm from an overflowing tree on Christmas morning, homemade costumes on Halloween, snap-n-pops and sparklers on the 4th of July, and a Hoeckele's birthday cake every August.

I'm from three-ring photo albums with handwritten descriptions and digital photo books ordered online, all stacked on the fireplace shelves.

Thanks to Sarah, for planting the seed for this post!

11 comments:

  1. I just wrote mine! Thanks for the idea. I'm a southern, through and through, too. I really enjoyed the "chicken and dumplings made from scratch".

    Question: Are they flat or fluffy? (the dumplins)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I think I'm gonna have to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent-uh both?? They're flat like lasagna noodles but a lot fluffier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, finished and posted mine today!

    Yours is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would call those flat...as compared to some people who make little balls of dough. We do the puffy lasagna around here. Boy that sounds good tonight...I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me feel I must have done something right. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE THIS! It brought so many wonderful memories back! Especially feeding the cows, slushies, and of course the pink carpet and bunk beds! I love that I was lucky enough to share those experiences with you! You're an amazing sister and an even better Mom! I hope Hannah gets to experience all the joys that we were lucky enough too!

    -OH, and you forgot to mention the contests we had in the bunk beds and the games we played in the bath! lol (but I'll leave those memories for us to enjoy and not share with all your fellow bloggers!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! And you're from Missouri and don't shoot Bottle Rockets on the Fourth of July? I'm from Kansas and we would always cross the border to buy them and shoot them off because they were legal there. :)

    And deep fried everything, yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!