Thursday, June 14, 2012

Creative Generosity

A while back a blogger posed the question: How do you want to be remembered?


Some of her examples were "honest", "joyful", "kind". The first word that came to me when I read the question, the answer that came straight from my gut, was "generous."

Generous? I think I actually laughed out loud. Who in the world would remember me as generous? I'm far, far from it. And probably even the opposite-greedy, hoarding, stingy.

It's no secret that Ted and I are cheapos. But it's not because we hate spending money-it's because we don't have much to spend. Managing our finances on one modest income takes a lot of hard work and creativity. And in order to make it work, we're forced to be cheapos. Cloth diapers, beans and rice, cutting our own hair, reusing aluminum foil-whichever way you look at it-we're cheap. And it shows in our gift giving. We honestly just can't afford to give lavish gifts, however much we want to. I try to keep birthdays, father's day, etc under five dollars. Not an easy task-and it's probably not always received well. But it is what it is.

But generosity isn't only about gift giving, although that is certainly a part of it. Generosity calls us to give of our time, talent, and treasure. If our treasure is in short supply, surely I can try to be generous with the other two. But I'm just.....not.

I have wonderful examples of generosity all around me. Friends who bend over backwards to try to help and never expect anything in return. One friend, Haley, is the embodiment of generosity. When I have old clothes to get rid of I take to them to a consignment store so I can make money to buy more clothes. But Haley came up with the idea of having a clothing exchange. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was reluctant to participate for the fear that I would give everything away and not get much in return. Ugh. I'm so greedy. And today, she let Hannah and me have two of her passes to the aquatic center in town so we could swim for free. I know myself. It would have been VERY hard for me to do the same for her. I did give her two cute outfits I didn't need for her little girl. But even this gesture of generosity was tainted. They were the only two outfits that the consignment store wouldn't pay me for.  Was ten bucks really worth it? Wouldn't it have been better to give her all of it-she's making due on one income too! And the clothes were GIVEN to me! Yes, I'm that bad.  I don't "pay it forward"-I just think about getting paid! I'm reluctant to let friends borrow things for fear they'll be ruined and I won't be able to afford to replace them. But I happily borrow items from these same friends all the time. Un-generous for sure.

Last night Ted mowed our yard for the first time (the owner of our duplex just laid down sod, we only had a dirt pit before). I asked him to mow our neighbor's half so she wouldn't have to worry about it. She was stressed about having to pay her lawn guy more to have it mowed. While he was out mowing last night Hannah and I watched him out the window and I thought, "I'm not doing anything to help her. I'm not doing anything to help anybody." But it occurred to me that staying inside with a sixteen month old by myself is most definitely a sacrifice, especially after being alone with her for the first 10 hours of the day. It took him double the time, time I could have been using to have a bit of respite from my motherly duties. So in a way, I was generous. It wasn't huge. But it was something. And today our neighbor called crying to thank us. Her brother is dying and she just came home from seeing him for what might have been the last time. She told me that seeing her yard brought her more joy than I could know. I got a sense of what it feels like to be generous.

All this to say-I need to learn generosity. But I don't have any money-so I need to learn to do it creatively. In giving of my time-well most of my friends have their parents in town and aren't in need of babysitters. And time is hard to give when I have a toddler in tow. And talent? I can't even think of what my talents are. I give out therapy advice to friends who ask for it. But that's hardly being generous-that's just being a therapist.

So I'm not sure how exactly I want people to remember me. But if "generous" is at all what I desire, I better get to work. Does anyone have any ideas of generosity that don't involve money??




17 comments:

  1. I think generosity hasn't really got to do with money! It's not about the gifts you 'can' give because you can afford, and neither is it the 'time' you can give because you can afford it. It's about what you can give when you feel that you can't afford it. It's putting the needs of others before yours - it's giving without expecting anything back. Motherhood is all about generosity as is marriage life. It's about how you do the little everyday things for others - which should include the people you dearly love as well as others you may not know.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are generous through your blog. There are many days that I've been encouraged by you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think generosity is about giving up something of yours (treasure, time or talent) when you don't want to, when it would make your life harder to do so!
    It is hard for me too, although I freely give gifts to others who are less fortunate and spend more on birthday gifts for those outside our family than I do my own kids or husband.
    I have the hardest time giving my time! I work 50 hours a week, plus take care of my children 24/7, so I feel like my 10 minutes of free time a day should be spent on ME! I justify it day in and day out! This post really brought my attention to the fact that I am not generous with my time! I need to do more for friends: baby sit for free, make meals for sick friends or friends with sick kids, and stuff like that)!
    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm a regular reader of your blog, but this is my first time commenting.

    My husband and I added a prayer by St. Ignatius to our morning routine a few years ago:

    Dearest Lord, teach me to be generous.
    Teach me to serve you as you deserve,
    to give and not to count the cost,
    to fight and not to heed the wounds,
    to toil and not to seek for rest,
    to labor and not to ask for reward,
    save that of knowing that I'm doing your will.

    I try to be generous with my time, but there are days when I just don't feel like it! This prayer reminds me daily that when I choose to serve others, I'm serving God....and that helps me put things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One trick that helps me is to not expect yourself to always be generous in the same way that someone else is. Find something that's EASY and SMALL for you to do -- it will still mean a lot to someone in need! (Yes, caring for Hannah while your husband does an act of service does count, in my book!) For example, as a new mother with an active baby, I just don't feel up for offering to babysit my friends' kids at this time, even though I know that that would help them. It's too much for me. Same with so many other obvious ways of helping: serving at a soup kitchen, volunteering at a school...actually, the word "volunteering" gives me the shivers! But doubling a recipe when I'm cooking dinner anyways (cheapo beans here, too) and bringing half of it to a family with a newborn does not take much extra effort at all. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great reminder for us all! I needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see you as very generous, especially in drawing on your strength of resourcefulness. I love the way you [I suspect] used a coupon to buy those colorful plates for Paul and I for our wedding or the way you made homemade detergent for Lauren's baby shower gift. I know what you mean about wanting to be more generous [I need to be that way too]. Just know your generosity is very specific to you, and I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. I struggle with generosity too. But one thing has helped me. I think of the things others have been generous in giving me, and I ask myself what has meant the most to me. Hands down, it's prayer. So my husband and I have begun writing down others petitions and praying novenas specific to their intentions. It's one way we can be generous. But we have many other ways we need to work on. We will pray for you and your family for this intention :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, you sound like me! I could have written this post! You know what the priest told me in confession the other day??? That I needed to practice CHARITY! Ouch! Now my husband is ULTRA generous- he loves to help the neighbors with home projects, etc., even sometimes to the point where I am going "Seriously? We need you at home more than they need you!" But he just has a really generous heart! I need to take a lesson from him, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What great comments! Thanks!

    Lillian-I totally get what you're saying, but giving "when I can't afford" just seems irresponsible-not generous. Is continually dipping into our savings to give someone something nice really a good idea? And I love your take on people I know and those I don't. I was forgetting strangers in this post!

    Bekah-I really hope you comment more often because WOW. What a prayer! I can't believe I haven't heard that one. Thank you so much.

    Lissy-perfect advice! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ash-love your take on this. I think I'll be able to come up with more ways to be generous if I think about my unique way of doing it.

    SC-You blow me away! I would never consider praying for something so specific for someone else. I stick to the big stuff-pregnancy, finding a job-but a virtue that someone is struggling with? Wow. What a great example you are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For a long time I (we, Kevin does this too) have had the habit of giving what we can't afford. I agree that that isn't always the best, or responsible idea. We live on a modest, 1 income budget. Like most, we are paycheck to paycheck. We were not very bright when we were younger and bought achousecwe can't afford so we are very house poor. Killing our bank account and very tiny savings to buy things we can't afford for others is getting silly.

    I have no issue with homemade gifts! I actually like them better than store bought. Do you have a seeing machine? Baby blankets are easy to make as gifts for new moms. Aprons are easy to make for brides.

    I also think prayer is a HUGE one. When I know someone is praying for me or my marriage or my babies it means way more to me than any tangible gift!

    I don't know if elderly people are on your list of people. If they are, they may just enjoy your company. I know K's 88 year old grandmother loves for nothing more than us to sit with her and visit. While your there you could see if they need anything that is difficult for them (taking the trash out, bringing in groceries, vacuuming, etc.)

    If you have any friends about to give birth you are definitely a big help there! :) The help you gave me was more than I could have ever asked for. I still can't thank you enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hm. This post could practically have been written by me. I'd like to be thought of as a generous person, but I struggle with it daily. My husband and I are pretty cheap, too. And as a mother of two overactive toddlers and a baby, I can always find a way to justify treating myself instead of someone else. :( Some days, when I'm really at the end of my rope, generosity for me gets pretty ridiculous basic. Like reading to the kids for half an hour extra instead of surfing the internet to supposedly lower my stress level (someday I will learn that it doesnt work-I have to pick up all the messes the kids made while I was on there later so it hurts me and them in the end). Or staying up to talk or knit beside my husband (he appreciates my company) when all that I really want to do is go to sleep. Recently I lent all my 0-3 month girl clothes to a friend who just had a baby girl. I'm ashamed to say that it was very difficult for me. I kept thinking about how, if I should have another girl, her clothes would be so worn out. They're used already, by who-knows-whho and my daughter. Did I really have to see them used again before another one of my daughters wears them? I made myself do it, and I am happy I did. I'm sure if the clothes wear out, more will come my way. Those ones did, after all.

    As always, thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the post and comments :-)

    What a great reminder (from Bekah?) about that prayer. My husband and I would say it in the morning. Then our mornings would get interrupted by our sweet daughter...and the prayer got lost. Need to start again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katie, remember all the times you have taken me into your home and know that you are generous. Remember all the times you did not chew me out for all of the stupid inconsiderate things I did while we were roommates - that was generosity. Remember all of the advice you willingly give me on my life - I am so grateful for that. I am grateful that you share your life's story with me, grateful that I am still invited into it even though we live so far away, and now have husbands and kids. And remember that you are generous with your time - you could be at work making good money with your intellegence, but you choose to put it at the service of your family now. I'll pray for God's grace upon you as He helps you focus on this fruit of the Spirit. Of course we can all do better. Just wanted you to know that you don't suck at it like you might think. :) ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I spelled intelligence wrong . . . and I don't think that generosity is an actual fruit of the Spirit . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet Kaitlin, I find you very generous. It has been several years since we talked but you once let me borrow a book that completely changed my life (I haven't returned it, and you've never said anything). I read it and quickly ended an engagement that wasn't from God and am now happily married and expecting a second child in an union that is written by our creator. Hang in there, I just started following your blog, but want you to know that the memories I have of you are full of generosity.- Tera (Mulford) Dover

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!