Friday, August 3, 2012

Quick Takes


-1-
We're in Missouri! My parents flew Hannah and me home for a week to escape the craziness of moving houses. It was my first time flying since 2000 and Hannah's first time ever. She did great. Note to self-do not sit in the very front row where there is no seat in front of you to put your carry-on forcing you to put it in the overhead storage and spend the first 35 minutes of the flight with only a bag of pretzels and a bowl of raisins that ran out in 5 seconds flat. Once I was able to get our bag down, she was happily entertained by the mini magna-doodle, baby doll, and endless supply of raisins.

-2-
Today is my 27th birthday! And the first day of our small town's annual picnic. Growing up, my birthday fell on one of the picnic days over and over again. Actually, I was born on "picnic Saturday" and my dad took pictures from the hospital to show everyone.They even announced my birth on the loudspeaker. I haven't been to the picnic since my 21st birthday, so it's sure to bring back lots of memories of birthdays past. And seeing Hannah ride the same merry-go-round and little cars that I road as a kid is sure to be adorable.

-3-
On the weaning front.....it's awesome. Thanks to everyone who left supportive comments on that post. After five days of cold turkey Hannah was doing GREAT but I was a mess. One afternoon she had a major meltdown and I just didn't know how to help her without nursing. So I gave in. And since that day she has nursed no more than once a day, sometimes going several days without it. She doesn't need to nurse for naps or bedtimes anymore. She doesn't usually need to nurse when she's upset. But she knows she can. And I know she might. And that has made all the difference.

-4-
I love Simcha Fisher. Every. stinking. thing. she. writes. This post on attachment parenting is hilarious. Beware! If you are an uber-attached parent (which, for the most part-I am ) she is definitely making fun of you.

-5-
Remember when I posted all those adorable pictures of Hannah smiling for the camera?? Those days are over. Her smile has turned into a weird nose-scrunch-with-kissy-lips-and-squinty-eyes. Also adorable, but not the kind of face you want to see in picture after picture after picture.


-6-
I went to Chik-Fil-A Wednesday. And I don't hate gay people. But I do believe in the right's of every American to say what they think and not be denied (or threatened to be denied) a business license for it. There were lots of good blog posts in the Catholic circle this week both for and against the "appreciation day". I agreed with all of them actually. But ultimately, for me, it came down to tolerating (yes-tolerating) other people's opinions even if they differ from your own, freedom of speech, and delicious chicken. Did you go?


-7-
Pigtails!


Happy Birthday Weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!! So fun to be home for your birthday!

    Glad the nursing (or lack there of) is less stressful for both of you now!

    We did go to Chick-Fil-A on Wednesday!! It was great to see the support they were getting!!

    Hannah is super cute in pigtails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice of your parents! I bet it feels good to get away from the housing craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Son glad you're getting a break from the craziness!!!

    Um, Hannah's pigtails...cutest thing I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! Enjoy your time with your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! That was your first time flying since 2000????? I want to know what you think about post-9/11, post-shoe bomber, post-underwear bomber security measures. Sometimes flying the midwest, I was tempted to think they'd be lax about security measures but they tended to be meaner about than New Yorkers or Angelinos. The folks in Kansas City took all my lip glosses!!! BTW, I love the pigtail picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That post was hilarious on ap. The comments were hilarious too! one of them I was almost peeing my pants! I couldn't even handle how funny it was! ;)

    The the pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm so glad you get to spend some time in MO. It sounds like a nice break for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quick takes comment:
    1. You butt dialed me the other day (or maybe Hannah was trying to phone Charlotte?) and left the longest, hardest to understand voice mail I've ever received.
    2. Why is Hannah's hair so light?
    3. Thanks for praying the novena with us and it's ok with me if you wanna say "damn" in your prayer.
    4. I bet Perryville smells like apple pie.
    5. Weaning - well done.
    6. Why aren't you talking about being pregnant?
    7. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, how fun to spend it with family and revisiting all those memories with Hannah! Love those pigtails!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy (late) Birthday!!! And that picture of Hannah all squinty cracks me up!! :) Have fun with your family! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!