My sweet friend, Haley-a Florida native, pinned a quote by Anne of Green Gables the other day. Something like "I'm so grateful we live in a world with Octobers." I completely agree with Anne, Octobers are beautiful. But Haley, on the other hand, is dead wrong.
Because Florida does not have October. We're 17 days in and still no sign of it.
I wore shorts and a t-shirt at the playground on Monday. And was sweating. In the shade. Because it was 91 freaking degrees!
Leaves are falling, but they do that all year long. And they're just brown or green. Do people in Florida even know that leaves can be other colors?
No crisp in the air.
No feeling great in jeans and boots.
No need for a jacket-you can hardly handle short sleeves.
I make pumpkin oatmeal with pecans and chili and soup-but it's all a lie. Our damn air conditioner is still on. At night!
I'm still getting eaten alive by mosquitos! I got three bites yesterday-one on the way to the car, one in the car, and the last one in my living room.
I've got my toes a nice shade of mocha-ish but my feet are still in flip flops.
And to top it all off, I found out this week that there are NO pumpkin patches in town!
Where are you Fall? Do you exist in the south?
My summer wardrobe is exhausted. Will I ever wear a sweater again?
I thought Mississippi Falls were a disappointment, now I'm counting down the days until we go back for a visit. Alisha-save a few yellow leaves for me. And don't laugh when I change my clothes three times a day when we're up there-I gotta get these outfits in.
Fall, I miss you.
I guess you aren't meaning to be funny, but I thought this was hilarious. I love Fall... except that it is one step closer to Winter...which I loathe!
ReplyDeleteHa ha! When everyone else is a "Snow Bird" you need to be a Fall Bird, and come up North.
ReplyDeleteNo Fall is the biggest reason I don't like Florida...and I've been here my whole life. :(
ReplyDeleteNo pumpkin patches?!?! If you feel like taking a long drive we are going to one about an hour north of us. They have a corn maze and hay rides. :) But unfortunately it will probably still be hot so you'll have to wear shorts. :(
I live further north along the Gulf Coast and we've had the occasional crisp morning, but it's definitely not like fall in the rest of the country. If it makes you feel better, we don't have any pumpkin patches either.
ReplyDeleteWell, it hasn't been that cold here either, so hopefully by the time you come, it'll be ready for you.
ReplyDeleteAnd by the way - weren't you just bragging about pumpkin beers on the beach? It can't be all bad...
I love fall, it is my favorite season and I seriously would be in denial if I lived somewhere that didn't have it. Should I mail you some fall leaves with the appropriate shads of red, yellow, orange? :)
ReplyDeleteAs a native NYer who moved to FL for a decade, I was very upset about the missing seasons, especially as my birthday is in October. I always ranted that the only time a tree lost its leaves was when it got hit by lightning.
ReplyDeleteUsually there are a few cool-er weeks in February or so, but that was about it. My mom used to chill the house just so she could light a fire in the fireplace.
My condolences… maybe have some ice cream or go to the pool to at least try to make something of the warm weather?
you live in the south now....welcome.
ReplyDeleteNONSENSE! It has been unseasonably warm this month but the past couple of days have been gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteAlso, no pumpkin patches? False! One on Meridian, one on Mahan/Capitol Circle! There might be more but those are the ones I drive by. Free pony rides or something. Fall! Pumpkins!
Also, let's look at the perks: Not having to get your children dressed in coats and gloves and....SOCKS. I really hate socks.
And why are you running your air conditioning? Open the windows, woman!
And yes we know there are places where the leaves change...we just also know that they are frigid wastelands! Whatever, we've got Flannery O'Connor. That's all I need ; )
Come visit me! Nothing but cool air, crisp colorful leaves, jeans and sweaters and big pots of soup with crusty bread here in good old Indiana ;)
ReplyDelete(Of course when it's 10 degrees ill be coming to you!)