Friday, November 23, 2012

In Thanksgiving

2012 blessed me with my first ever Thanksgiving. I mean my first Thanksgiving-where I cooked and hosted and stuff like that. It was only the second time I've celebrated the holiday without my family. (The first was three years ago-where Ted and I spent Thanksgiving alone in a Microtel in Tennessee getting the horrible results that I wasn't ovulating from our ten day ultrasound series. We ate at Cracker Barrel and cried on each other's shoulders.) This Thanksgiving was far, far better than that.

We started it off cheering on our friends at the Turkey Trot. They ran nine miles and I was so inspired that I vowed to do the 5K next year. I mean-I could hopefully walk miles in the time it took them to run nine right? We might do a family walk/jog with Hannah in the stroller and mystery baby in the Moby. Hannah won't stop talking about Summer "Um" and Chris "Tiss" and how they like to run. She says their names over and over again and while making little running motions with her arms.

I'm gonna pretend I'm cool enough to join in this link-up and post what I wore to Thanksgiving dinner. Here is the 26 week bump in all its Thanksgiving day glory.




If you care at all:
Cami-Target, a birthday gift from Ted
Sweater-Target, snagged from a friend during a clothing exchange (best idea ever!)
Jeans-Old Navy Maternity, bought at full-price with no coupon. I was desperate upon realizing that my only jeans from Hannah's pregnancy were already too tight!
Shoes-my favorite consignment store back in Mississippi
Pearl Necklace (not pictured)-a gift from Ted when Hannah was born :)

and much more importantly...



Undershirt-Kohl's, last year, way too small, turned inside out because she doesn't have any plain white t-shirts
Cardigan-Consignment Sale, J Crew (can you believe they have a kid's line???)
Jeggings-Wal-Mart, given to us by a former co-worker
Shoes-no thank you

If you didn't care about what we wore, you probably care even less about what we ate. But I was so stinking excited to prepare my first Thanksgiving meal that I'm going to share it with you anyway. Summer and I tackled the menu by ourselves and shopped, prepped, and cooked for two whole days. We were so blessed to have such great friends who also didn't have any family in town and also live too far away to go home.

We had a perfectly traditional menu: oven baked turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, garden green beans, cornbread dressing, homemade cranberry sauce, and classic pumpkin pie with real whipped cream. I'm absolutely positive that it was the only time in the history of Thanksgiving that the turkey was by far the best item on our plates. Turkey is usually pretty good-kinda dry-and I usually only eat one small piece to save room for the good stuff. But our friends can sure make a turkey! It was absolutely phenomenal. 


Growing up we celebrated two Thanksgivings with each side of my family. Over 40 cousins, 20+ aunts and uncles, and all my grandparents. It was fun and crazy and noisy and exciting-but it was never fancy. And although I wouldn't trade family for all the fancy in the world, I admit that it was nice to get to do things like make a centerpiece, use our fine china, pull out the expensive serving bowls, and drink water out of goblets. We were fortunate to get Ted's Nana's china four years ago and this is its first appearance in our home. The reason-we just now have a home big enough to store it in! I can't wait to bring it out for all of our special occasions in the future.



A few other tidbits from our day:

Ted gave a beautiful blessing before dinner. It made me proud to be his wife. And I promise I wasn't laughing through it because of anything he said. It was definitely the music being played loudly by our white trash neighbors. So we pray-bless us Oh Lord..... coupled with Let me get a big hell yeah from the redneck girls like me. Hell Yeah! While I'm just immature and couldn't suppress my chuckle.

And yes-if you haven't noticed from the pictures-we ate Thanksgiving dinner outside! It was an absolutely beautiful day. We hung lights on our back porch and sat at the table for almost three straight hours-getting up only to get seconds, thirds, or dessert.

A truly blessed day with great friends, a wonderful husband and daughter, and delicious food. A Thanksgiving to remember!


11 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I love baby bellies. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful day! I vote that hosting your own Thanksgiving, especially for company, is a special adult rite of passage. Love the family picture at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful family picture! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute family!!! Love that you guys got to eat outside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing day! I love the family picture. That is Christmas card worthy! FYI. Could you email me your address so I can add you to our Christmas card list?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah. it's kind of embarrassing how much I love bump photos ... this is THEE cutest ... seriously. You were made to carry babies!!

    thank you for linking up ... I think Julia might NEED that little cardigan ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. so adorable and love the setting, the food and the family photo, beautiful every bit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kaitlin!
    i had written a longer comment, but it got lost, deleted or something,...well,
    I congratulate you for your blog, i foud you through Jen Fulwiler's blog and i have to say they are a blessing for me.
    BTW, what are those little balls you used inside the mason jars on your thanksgiving table, to hold the candels? they look like cherrys!. God bless you and your family. I follow you from Spain!.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kathy from Spain! They're cranberries :) Taken straight from the bag we bought for the cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!