-1-
Can I get these written before anyone wakes up from their nap? I'm already an hour into Hannah's, so it's doubtful.
-2-
Paul.
(this is how far I got before Hannah started bellowing from her crib )
is sick. A super high fever all day yesterday and he felt so, so awful. Sick babies are the saddest thing in the world. Thankfully, Ted was able to take off to help me. I don't know how I would have handled them both by myself all day. Is that possible? Surely people do it right? But how? How would that logistically work? I can't even wrap my head around it. Hannah will only watch Barney for so long before she needs to eat or try to ruin my attempt to get Paul to nap by reaching in the cradle and stealing his paci.
He's feeling better today but not over it yet.
-3-
This.
This is called "survival". Notice the diaper going on hour number five. She was entertained for nearly three hours though! At first I tried to make her keep the water in the water table. I quickly gave up. Then I tried to get her to keep her shoes on because, I don't know, I hate dirty feet. I threatened her with, "If you don't keep your shoes on you'll have to come inside." But come on, if I made her come inside she would just be horrible and needy and I wouldn't have been able to care for sick Paul. A threat I had no intention of ever carrying out. Empty threats. Don't act like you don't deal them out too.
-4-
During our porch play she found a lizard that quickly ran away and said, "Mommy lizard! Oh no dont see lizard. Mommy find him! Lizard are you? Oh lizard roof!" Well actually she said "Mommy yiderd. Oh no don see yiderd. Mommy dine him. Yidered are wu. Oh yiderd woof!"
When she go from simple two word phrases to speaking in paragraphs?
-5-
I'm currently drinking one of these
and wishing it wasn't the only one in the house. Don't worry. I'm finishing these up while the kids are in bed. Although an after nap Abita really would have been a pick me up.
-6-
Can I quit after 5?
-7-
I'm going to bed.

Totally been there. It gets better and easier! I even managed with a sick kid (plus 3 more that were sick and not mine and 2 more not sick kids, one that was mine)...all week by myself. As time goes on, the standards of care get lower and then I no longer think I am a failure when they are on show number 6 for the morning and still in pajamas after lunch!
ReplyDeleteThey survive! My trick is lots of coffee!
Love this post, it is perfectly real and exactly how every mom feels with a newborn. However, it was definitely the hardest for me going from 1 to 2, so this especially resonated. Loved that pic of Hannah outside, too hilarious.
ReplyDeleteI wish this blog post had been around when I went from 1 to 2 kiddos! Your honesty and great pics are so refreshing. Thanks for keeping it real. :)
ReplyDeleteJane was 15 months old when Walt was born. Going from 0 to 1 kids was tough, but taking care of a newborn and having a 15-month-old that wanted me to remain her steady playmate was tricky. I'm due with another precious baby in August, and I'm not nearly as anxious about the transition. Jane and Walt (in theory) will have each other to play with while I'm nursing, etc.
I vaguely remember the haze of those early days with two little guys. The most stressful part for me was always the logistical stuff--how will I get from Point A to Point B with a toddler and an infant in an infant carrier? How is grocery shopping even possible? What if we have to abandon naptime because of a family event?
Anyway, just keep taking it one day at a time, and don't live by anyone else's expectations/standards/schedules but your own. You're doing a great job! Keep it up, girl!
I love how real this is. If I was drinking beer, my quick takes would stop at 5 too. :)
ReplyDeleteOh man! That is so hard! I've been there. Hannah's as about Paul's age the first time she got sick. It's so hard and they are so pitiful. Sick babies are so sad. :( I hope he gets better quickly! And that you and Ted don't get it!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that picture of Hannah! Survival in your house looks like fun! :)