Read Part 1: The Awesome Part here.
Part 2: The Sucky Part
We got into our labor and delivery room around 4:00 am. Our doula put all of our things away, taped our birth plan to the door, and turned down the lighting. The nurse filled up the labor tub and I labored on my knees on the bed while I waited.
When the tub was ready I happily climbed in. It was.....just ok. I wasn't expecting it to take away every ounce of pain, obviously. But because I wasn't able to sit down, I couldn't really get comfortable. I squatted against the side of the tub, but that kept half of my belly out of the water which kind of defeated the purpose. And although it did help me to relax, I wasn't loving it. I drank lots of juice and water to keep from getting overheated. Ted, Amy, and I talked to pass the time because at this point contractions had spaced out to every five minutes or so.
| I had no idea I was this tired! I thought I was bright eyed and grinning for this picture! |
When the nurse checked me I was a seven. Not what I was thinking I would be, but it was still progress. I was more confused than discouraged. My nurse could sense my confusion and told me, "You're definitely in transition Kaitlin. Don't get discouraged." I repeated to myself, "This is transition. This is short. You can do this. It won't last long." in between contractions to sike myself up for what would be taking place. We had been in labor for only five hours at this point but the end was in sight! That was around 5:00 am.
Out of the tub my contractions started to become much more painful. And then the back pain started. Oh the back pain! It felt like my lower back was just going to fall off. Just disconnect from my body like a hubcap would fall off an old car. Amy and the nurse suspected this meant that the baby was sunny-side-up and started talking about different positions that would help to turn him. I labored in the bed on my right side with my left leg propped up high against a peanut shaped birth ball. It hurt. I hated trying to relax through contractions in this position, but I knew we needed to turn the baby. Only a few contractions in, I felt something that felt like turning. It actually felt like the head inside my birth canal just rotated in a circle. I have no idea if this is what actually happened, but I know it hurt.
After another hour of this, around 6:00, I got checked again and was an eight and baby had moved down to a +2 station. Things were moving pretty quickly! Contractions were intense and painful but I was still doing a great job going limp, relaxing, and low moaning through each one.
At 7:00 our nurse was finished with her shift. She told me that our new nurse, Karen, used to be a doula and loved natural birth. Perfect. She also told me that Karen had another nurse with her who was training for the labor and delivery floor. She also had a student nurse shadowing her and asked if would be ok if she came in. I said something like, "Sure, as long as she stays in the corner and shuts up." Our first nurse left and our new team of three nurses came in. It was around that time that my doctor also showed up.
I was still having intense back pain, despite using the birth ball for so long, so he brought in an ultrasound machine and checked the baby's position. Even though I was starting to get pretty groggy at this point, I had the clarity of mind to say, "Don't let us see the gender!" On the screen popped a beautiful little spine-baby was in the "perfect" position.
At this point I had been in transition for nearly three hours. And although I was progressing, it was slow. I hadn't had any sleep since the night before and was getting very, very tired. Our doctor suggested trying to increase the intensity of contractions through either nipple stimulation or pitocin. He pushed for the nipple stimulation first, since it was the natural choice. I was very discouraged. I had gotten out of the tub thinking we were about to meet our baby over two hours before! And now I was being told that I needed to do something to try and make the baby come sooner! I figured if I we had a while to go I may as well get back in the tub. I reluctantly got back in and turned it up as hot as I could handle it. I sat under the faucet and did the nipple stimulation constantly, even through my contractions, which was quite painful.
I was wearing down. I started to fall asleep in the tub between contractions, even though I was trying to do the stimulation. I didn't want to talk or think. I just wanted to sit under the faucet and go to sleep. I started talking about getting an epidural-something I had never done with Hannah's birth. I didn't want it for the pain. The pain I could handle. I just wanted to sleep. I told our nurse I wanted an epidural and she encouraged me to keep going. She talked me into giving her "just one more hour" before talking about it again. I argued for a bit, but consented.
Ted and Amy got me out of the tub around 8:00 and dried me off. We asked to get checked and got wonderful news! Nine centimeters-with just a little bit of a cervical lip! I had the exact situation with Hannah and the nurse just pushed it over her head during the next contraction. I immediately started pushing and out she came.
When I heard that "nine with a lip" I yelled, "Push it over the head!" The doctor told me to push on the next contraction and tried to move the last bit of cervix over the baby's head. Oh it hurt. Oh my did it hurt! Pushing felt strange and weird and painful-nothing like when I pushed with Hannah. Our doctor said he couldn't move the lip and said we needed to just keep laboring. I was pretty distraught. Karen, our nurse, suggested we try squatting to get the baby to move down and get the lip around his head. She broke down the bed and set up the birth bar.
"What do you expect me to do with that?" I asked. She said, "Hang from it like this and squat as low as you can."
Um, not gonna happen. At this point I was so weak that I couldn't even hold my own cup of juice. There was no way my arms could support the weight of my body. Thankfully, Ted knew just what to do. He stood as a post and held me up under my arms and then lowered me into a squat for each contraction. I squatted as low as I could and it was low. My butt was just an inch or so from the floor and once again I was thankful I had done my pregnancy exercises. I can't remember how long we did this-but I was hopeful that it would work after just a few contractions. Our nurse checked us after just a bit and found that stubborn lip still in place.
She tried to push it back, just as our doctor had done. When she couldn't I begged her to just "shove it over the head!" She told me that it would cause permanent damage and that we just had to keep going. I asked for the epidural again.
Once again everyone was encouraging me to keep going. They reassured me that we didn't have long to go. They asked what position I wanted to be in and I couldn't even answer. I had no idea. I couldn't think straight. They got me up on the bed and our doctor suggested we try the nipple stimulation again. They raised the back of the bed and I knelt against it with my arms dangling over the top. Ted did the stimulation because I was too weak at this point. The back pain, which had never gone away, suddenly became intense. I needed someone to apply counter pressure through every contraction. The young nursing student was the lucky one who got to stand behind me, just inches from my bare butt, and push on my back as hard as she could. For over an hour.
I remember being in this position for a really long time. I could barely speak. All I could say was, "Hot. Cold. Nauseous. Back." If I said "hot" they put a wet rag on my neck. "Cold" and they threw a blanket over me. "Nauseous" and they waved peppermint oil under my nose. "Back" and they pushed harder. Amy and Ted were on each side of me. Ted stayed up by my head encouraging me and rubbing my arms. Amy rubbed my legs and tried to get the tension out of my feet. The nurse in training constantly refilled my juice cup and the student nurse pushed on my back. It was quite the team effort.
At some point they moved me onto my side and propped my leg back up on the peanut birth ball. I didn't have the energy to hold my leg up so they had to hold it for me. I slept between contractions, as they were now seven minutes apart. I couldn't voice what I was thinking, but I remember being worried that we were headed for a c-section. I couldn't lift my legs or hold a cup. How was I going to push out a baby? I was still doing great relaxing through each contraction-but I was completely out of energy. Ted was thinking the same thing too, although he didn't want to mention it and make me scared.
| Laboring? Or dying? |
I was terrified of how painful the contractions were going to get with pitocin. They were already so overwhelming. I asked for an epidural again but everyone reassured me that I could do it. We were so close. After they hooked up my IV, I immediately started whining and moaning and crying. Our nurse asked what was wrong and I said, "It hurts!" She gave me a smile and said, "Kaitlin-it hasn't even gotten into you yet." It was all in my head, but it definitely freaked me out.
Part 3: Sweet Relief
After just 20 minutes on piticon (even though it still wasn't affecting me) I shouted, "I am DONE! I am NOT a martyr! I have NOTHING to prove!"
At least that's what I thought I did. Ted told me later that it more like the faintest whisper. "I'm done. I'm not a martyr. I have nothing to prove."
He knew I had nothing left in me. In Ted's mind, I needed to get the epidural so that I would have enough energy to push. He was worried that I would end up with a c-section if I didn't some relief.
They sent for the anesthesiologist.
At this point I became like the classic laboring women from the tv shows. "Where is he? Tell him to hurry up!" I had completely checked out and just wanted this to go away. I just wanted to go to sleep and wake up and meet my baby.
The epidural man came in at 12:30 and said something stupid like "I wanted to do this at 7:30!" I quickly responded, "Don't make me feel stupid for the decisions I've made." I don't think he heard me and made a similar comment a bit later. I gave my same response but couldn't see his face for his reaction. He went over everything with me. "Do you consent?" I couldn't say yes fast enough. I was still laying on my side and he asked me to sit up. I needed two people to help me. Then he went around to the side of the bed and told me to scoot back. I looked at our nurse with a confused expression. They both said it again. "Scoot back." And I had to ask them what they meant. I could not fathom what they were asking me to do. Our nurse said, "Kaitlin-put your feet on the floor and push your bottom back." I said, "I can't do that." and told the epidural man to "Pull me back!" Apparently that is not part of his job description because he refused and Ted and Amy grabbed both of my sides and scooted me back on the bed. Ted came around to my front and held my hands while I got the epidural. I started praying a Hail Mary and Ted joined me. I whispered Jesus' name over and over again. The only word I said out loud was "Jesus" but in my head I was praying "Jesus-please let this work. Jesus-please don't let me have serious complications. Jesus-please don't let me regret this. Jesus-please don't let this lead to other interventions." I was scared, but managed to stay still through each contraction until it was over.
One more heinous contraction and then.......nothing. Zip. Nada. They told me I could probably still move my legs-which I could. I wiggled my toes and flailed my legs around in bed. As weird as it was, I could actually move them better now than I could before the epidural when they were so tired and tense. Every few contractions I felt some pressure, but it was nothing. The nurses told me to rest, but instead I started texting.
As I texted our nurse looked back over the monitoring strip and informed me that my contractions had been seven minutes apart and three minutes long for the past several hours. Three minutes. As in-two to three times longer than contractions are supposed to be! My immediate reaction was, "I am a rock star." And I felt sort of justified for "giving in" to the epidural.
They turned up the pitocin just a bit to try to get that last half a centimeter to finally go away. Ted left to get something to eat and I called Summer to see how Hannah was doing. She told me that when Hannah woke up that morning and saw Summer instead of me she said, "Mommy home?" Summer told her no and she immediately said, "Hospital. Baby!" My girl knew exactly what was going on and wasn't upset in the least. I cried. I missed her. I had been away from her for so long and when I saw her again she would be a big sister. It was the first time in hours I was able to think clearly and process my emotions.
Part 4: Time to Push
The room was bright. The windows were open. I was finally comfortable and clear headed and just sat and took it all in. After only a half hour, they checked me and said we were ready to push! I was shocked-I guess I still thought we had hours ahead of us. But that's all it took-a half hour of pitocin and I was finally fully dilated! Amy had just left to get something to eat so I asked if we could wait for her to get back. I felt no urge to push and honestly, I wasn't even in a hurry. I was just so relieved to be out of that horrible transition that I didn't mind just chillin' in bed sipping juice. Amy was taking a while to eat so we decided to start pushing without her. She walked in right when we were getting started.
I had had so many fears about pushing with an epidural. All the natural birth books and classes tell you that you won't have the urge to push and won't be able to push effectively. It was partly true. I had no urge to push and couldn't tell you if I was in the middle of a contraction or not. But push effectively? That was easy. I just, well, pushed! I happily let them hold up my feet for me, held my thighs back, and pushed when the nurses told me to push. I had talked to my doctor before about trying to prevent tearing and he was really trying hard to keep me all in one piece. He had me take a break every few contractions so that the baby wouldn't come too quickly. He would tell me to not push on the next contraction and I thought, "No problem. I don't even know when it is!"
I watched in the mirror as that little patch of hair got bigger and bigger. The student nurse was by my side and couldn't contain her excitement. "Oh wow. Oh my gosh. That's amazing." I later learned that it was the first birth she ever witnessed! I was so happy that she was there. She just brought such a sense of awe to a room full of people who see this all the time.
One big push and we had a head! And an arm! Right after his head popped out his little arm came with it. The doctor and both nurses immediately sighed and said, "That explains the lip!" He had his hand up by his face the entire time, preventing me from fully dilating when the contractions were so far apart. Our doctor did some fancy maneuver to turn the baby and avoid any problems. Then he gave him a mohawk while we waited for the next contraction. One more push and his body came right out. I couldn't see his face.... but I could see his penis!
"A boy!" I didn't need to announce it. It was easily apparent to everyone in the room!
He didn't cry at first. The doctor held him upside down for a bit while the nurses suctioned him. He had a lot of mucus because he came so quickly. My shock at finding out he was a boy quickly changed to concern. "Why isn't he crying? Why isn't he crying?" It was probably only a few seconds, but it felt like a lifetime. And because I couldn't see his face, I didn't know that he was fine. The nurses weren't concerned at all, I was the only one afraid. And then...a scream. Followed by a wale. Followed by another scream. "Gimme my baby!"
They put him on my bare chest and all I could think was, "He goes completely across the width of my body!" He was huge! And loud! I cried and held him and kissed Ted and tried to get him to nurse.
But he was too interested in screaming.
For the next 55 minutes.
The baby I thought wouldn't cry now didn't know how to stop.
Our doctor, who is also a family practice doctor, got up and checked his shoulder. He was concerned that maybe he had pulled a muscle, or worse, because of his arm coming out early. Thankfully, everything was fine.
But he still wouldn't stop screaming. The nurses speculated that he may have had a headache from his awkward position.
When the doctor was finished with me, he stood up and said, "My guess is 9 pounds." My jaw hit the floor. Surely he was wrong. But when the nurses came in later to check the weight: 9..... and a HALF!
I just birthed a 9 pound, 9 ounce baby! He was 21 3/4 inches long and had a 14 1/2 head circumference. That's a huge head. And, thanks to the epidural that allowed me to push slowly, I didn't even tear.
My parents, who started driving down from Missouri when I went into labor, arrived about a half an hour after he was born. The timing was perfect. When they walked in I said, "He won't stop screaming!" "He?? A boy?" After three girls and one granddaughter, my dad finally had a boy.
I tried everything to calm him down and get him to nurse to no avail. Finally, after almost an hour I gave him to Ted. Ted swaddled him and shushed him and he immediately fell asleep. I guess he just wanted his daddy. Ted looked at me with tears in his eyes. "A fishing buddy." And then it was my turn to cry.
After Ted had some snuggle time he gave him back to me and he nursed like a champ. I was finally able to enjoy my son. He was beautiful.
Fourteen hours of labor. Seven and a half hours of an absolutely hellacious transition. One hour of an epidural. Twenty-one minutes of pushing. One hour of screaming. And I finally had my sweet baby in my arms.
Paul Joseph-you were worth the wait.


I've been stalking your blog waiting for the rest of the story! Birth is so unpredictable! So glad you didn't have to have a c-section even though things didn't go as planned. Amazing photos! Who took them for you??? Veronica had her hand across her chest and up by her head (or so I was told) which is why we had to transfer to the hospital after hours of pushing at home with the midwife. We had to use the vacuum. A happy, healthy baby is what matters in the end!
ReplyDeleteI just love the pictures! Such a sweet little family!
ReplyDeleteExcuse me while I burst into pregnant sobs. "Why is a tear coming out of your eye, Mommy?"-Benjamin "Because I just read Miss Kaitlin's birth story!"
ReplyDeleteThe picture of you holding him started the waterworks but the picture of proud papa Ted holding his fishing buddy was the end for me!
Sorry about how horrible the laboring was, but dear me, cutest newborn ever!
That 1st photo of you with Paul had be bawling. And yes, you are a rock star! Beautiful, beautiful story, Katie!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! It's that moment when the baby leaves the womb and enters into this world that I crave. It makes me want it again!
ReplyDeleteI love epidurals. I always feel the urge to push with them....Don't believe everything you read in those natural birth books. I have defied all the odds!! LMBO! haaaaa!!!
Congratulations again, what a warrior! Silly babies, Caitlin also had her hand by her head.
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures!!
Well you made me cry and that's not easy to do! Beautiful story. Love teds fishing buddy comment and the picture when he's pest on your chest. With your eyes closed and smiling is amazingly beautiful. Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteTotally know why God made me infertile! I am not a martyr!
ReplyDeleteOh so hard and awesome and wonderful! Powerful & moving.
ReplyDeleteYou *are* a rockstar! I had a 3 hr natural labor with a 10 lb baby and thought I was going to die - if I had been any less than the 8 cm I was when I arrived at the hospital, I would've demanded an epidural immediately! I don't know what kind of mega-grace/mental fortitude you had to sustain you, but you are amazing!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you *finally* got an epidural - in cases like that you *need* to rest, and I suspect it was partially the epidural that allowed your body to do that final hard work to get the lip and last centimeter out of the way!
I'm 2 for 3 births with an epidural, my 3rd being the 1st natural one - glad I experienced it, but not sure if I can mentally handle another natural birth, even a fast one.
Praise God for a beautiful birth! Thank you so much for sharing every detail; (I'm sure I'm not the only 3rd trimester momma who has suddenly turned into a birth-story-junkie as we hit the nesting phase!)
P.S. that newborn hat on Paul really emphasizes just how big he is! Goodness gracious! Way to go! (Can't believe you didn't tear! WOW!)
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! This sounds so similar to my birth story with Mary-Grace! Wanting the epidural because you're so tired, not for the pain...the hand by the head...ahhh! I so feel you! This took me back!
ReplyDeleteAnd the part a out Ted's fishing buddy...I'm crying. So beautiful!!!!!
I wanted to (and tried to) go natural with all 3 of my births (although with twins I kind of knew it wouldn't happen) and got epidurals with all 3 - I had NO problem pushing them out, and was even able to walk an hour after my most recent twin birth. Epidurals these days are WAY different than they were when all those scary birth books were written!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations of a beautiful baby :)
Wow, I am teary-eyed. This is an awesome story! And I have to say, having a boy is awesome. :) Haha.
ReplyDeleteYou are a champ to go through so much without pain meds. We tried to go natural with our son, and I KNOW what you mean when you talk about the crazy pain, the exhaustion etc. I ended up needing an epidural too - really, really needed it. And guess what? I had NO trouble pushing our baby out either. I could even tell when contractions were coming (just ever so slightly). I totally respect the warnings regarding possible complications, but I also know that for some women, the epidural (and pitocin - I had that too) can help reduce risks and complications. So glad you had such an awesome, supportive team helping you navigate these decisions.
I've got tears!
ReplyDelete"I got a fishing buddy!" tears.
ReplyDeleteThe picture of your relief at holding him for the first time. tears.
Miss Kaitlin, you are a writer! I want more words from you in the coming years!
You had me sobbing by the end!! This makes me so nostalgic for C's birth, contractions and all! I had back labor too for awhile with her--it's intense, there's no other word for it!
ReplyDeleteI completely relate to your epidural experience...I "gave in" too because of the exhaustion more so than the pain...and I guess I figured since I labored for 18 hours beforehand, I "earned" my epi! Haha!! She wasn't born for 12 more hours so I know it was the right choice, I can't imagine how exhausted I would have been by that point. I probably would've just passed out.
You are a WARRIOR, mama!! Pat yourself on the back and be proud! I'm so glad everything turned out okay in the end with his birth. Thank you so much for sharing your story! I love it!!!! This makes me want another one RIGHT. NOW. :)
Wow, Kaitlin, what a story! You were amazing. I am all for natural birth, but in this case I think an epidural was really what you needed. Hooray for healing without tears! It's great, isn't it? Vinnie was my first tear-free birth and recovery felt like some kind of a joke, like maybe I didn't actually give birth to him, after experiencing 3rd and 2nd degree tears with my first two kids.
ReplyDeleteVinnie screamed inconsolably for 40 minutes after he was born, loud and furious, with absolutely no interest in nursing. I pushed him out in about 15 minutes. The nurse told me that perhaps he had a lot of amniotic fluid in his stomach that might have been sqeezed out of him had he been in the birth canal longer, but as he came so fast maybe he had a stomach ache. Who knows if this explanation is true, but it was a little disconcerting to have him cry like that. I was expecting cuddles and nursing, and I had to wait a while for that.
Again, congratulations on your beautiful new son!
so very wonderful!! I love the picture of you holding him right after he was born! Pure joy!!!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Kaitlin, that is such an amazing story. It reminds me a lot of my first birth actually, except I was asking for an epidural much much sooner. You are so strong.
ReplyDeleteI was so elated to deliver my second naturally. That feeling of euphoric relief that comes over you when the pain goes away-it is so amazing to experience that when you meet your baby, instead of when you meet the anasthesiologist. And for me that was the biggest difference. All the other natural birth awesomeness was there for my epidural birth as well. I think it was so wise of you (and Ted) to recognize the importance of your energy level and request the epidural when you did. I can am so impressed by your birth knowledge. And his.
Aaaaaaaaah! Crying over here! That picture of you almost-dead with exhaustion was intense, and then the picture of you holding his big fatty self for the first time....so much joy. Loved every word :D
ReplyDeleteI don't cry easy, but my tears won't stop dripping! I am so happy for you guys!!! Even though it was different from your plan it is such a beautiful story! So much love! I really love that Ted got him to stop crying with his swaddle and touch... the father/son and father/daughter relationships are so amazing and special! Love to your sweet family!!!
ReplyDeleteYou're a rock star! My son was 21 inches long (not 9 lbs), but had a 14 3/4 inch head and my transition was horrible too. I'm so glad you managed without a c-section (we ended up having one after my huge headed, sunny side up baby didn't make any progress the 6 hour point - we waited more than 6 more hours for that to change)!
ReplyDeleteI don't know how you could get up and down and in all those different positions while in labor. I can't move like that when I'm in labor. My doctor always does the pitocin, it makes the labor go much faster. I've always been too scared to ever get an epidural. Sounds like you did great! He is a beautiful baby.
ReplyDeleteI've been anxiously awaiting Part 2 since you posted Part 1, and I must say that it was well worth the wait. Wow! What a story! You are so strong!
ReplyDeleteI love all of your photos and wish I had ones like that throughout my labor & delivery with our babies. Maybe this time around!
Oh, my goodness...the picture and line about Ted saying he gets a "fishing buddy" had me bawling like a baby. There's something amazing about watching a daddy and his son.
You have a beautiful, beautiful family!
OOPS!!! Don't mind "Doctor Dad"--that was his silly wife accidentally posting under his name. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your story! So having experienced both now...if you had another baby, do you think you'd attempt a natural birth again, or just go right for an epidural?
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. It sounds like you had such a great birth team as well, really looking out for you, supporting you, and helping you make good decisions for your birth.
ReplyDeleteGus cried for what seemed like ages when he was born too. Part of me thought that since we had a natural birth, it should not have been that traumatic for him. But actually, sunny-side up and two hours of pushing was bad enough for me, I can't imagine how it felt from his perspective! Congratulations again!
Kaitlin, this was really beautiful (and worth the wait to read!) Congrats again to you. What a story...
ReplyDeleteChristine-I think I'd go natural again and use the epidural if needed. But I have a whole reflection post in my head working through that issue!
ReplyDeleteKaitlin, you had me in tears! What an amazing story! My favorite parts, you screaming I'm not a martyr I have nothing to prove! The picture of you holding him for the first time, your face says it all, relief and pure joy! And how Ted calmed him down and the fishing buddy line. Agh! killed me! Tears! What a labor! Way to go Momma!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful boy and wonderful story! You got this momma tearing up with joy tears.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful birth story! It's amazing what our bodies can go through to bring a baby into this world. I am an OB nurse, and you are exactly who I love to be with during their experience. You know you made all the right choices at the right time for you and your baby. I hope I can do 1/2 as well with my coming delivery. I'm so glad I blog hopped over here. You are so blessed. My husband and I are considering keeping our second baby's gender a secret, and you've just given me the strength to wait in this world that HAS to know! What a wonderful moment.
ReplyDeleteMy first son had both his hands on his face. I got the pitocin when I was about 7 cm, so I guess that helped the labor move along rather quickly (I went from 7 to 10 cm in two hours). I got an episiotomy and still teared because of the hands on the face. Congratulations, you are an awesome momma!!
ReplyDeleteIt was the epidural, not the pitocin, that got you that last centimeter. I've seen it many, many times. The woman gets an epidural, her pelvic floor relaxes, and she goes to complete. The natural birthing books don't tell you that advantage with getting an epidural. It's sad that they push and push for no intervention, although many times "intervention" can help facilitate a vaginal birth.
ReplyDeleteKaitlin--You are so strong! Although the labor didn't go as you initially planned, you remained so strong and in control. There are times that I feel sad that I was not able to accomplish my labor goal, and as my wonderful doula reminded me--those goals and how you felt about those goals DO matter, but I think we can both feel very proud of the fact that we were well informed and active participants in the decision making process! Miss you girl and I CANNOT WAIT to meet that handsome little man!
ReplyDeleteSuch an amazing and wonderful birth story! I have tears streaming down my face. The "perfect" entrance for your perfect little boy. Love to you all!
ReplyDeleteKaitlyn, this was an awesome story!! I'm so glad you shared it, and congrats!
ReplyDeleteThese photos are awesome! Truly to be cherished!
ReplyDeleteI found you via FLAP and read both parts of your birth story! I was in tears for you just empathizing with what you went through! Good job, you amazing mama. I had a long, long labor (like, about 70 hours) with my baby, because she was persistent posterior and presenting military (not tucking her chin). Of course we didn't know all those reasons at the time we just knew pain and fatigue and oh it was so hard! But so worth it in the end!
ReplyDeleteI love that bit about the fishing buddy. Congrats, your family is so sweet.
Also, I too ended up with an epi and pit to get my contractions working more effectively and more regularly. After all my intentions to have an all natural birth, it was the pit/epi that finally allowed me to rest, relax, and progress the way I needed to. It definitely confused my preconceptions a bit, to have the very things we hoped to avoid end up helping so much...!
ReplyDeleteWow, what a story! I'm so glad the epidural helped you!
ReplyDeleteI love the joy on your face in that first picture of you and him!
How beautiful! I got choked up so many times ready this and love the pictures:) What an adorable little baby boy!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful story and beautiful pictures. Well done with the long transition, sounds like my first birth - 16-18 hrs natural (can't remember) and one hour with epidural so I could have energy to push for twenty minutes and meet Maria. Nice that your doctor let you could slower for less tearing though - that would be nice second time around.
ReplyDeleteThe fishing buddy comment brought tears to my eyes. Congrats! It's great that you had a doctor and nurses who were very supportive of natural childbirth.
ReplyDeleteWhat method of childbirth prep did you take?