After grabbing a few midweek groceries (and spending a lot of time watching Hannah show me how to put the limes in the bag sloooooowly) (the limes are for margaritas, definitely worth a mid week grocery trip) we headed to the other side of the store to get a few random items. Tissue paper, aluminum foil, eye drops. And that's when I saw it. Right next to the eye drops on the second highest shelf amongst the pregnancy tests and ovulation predictor kits.
Plan B. On the shelf. Just waiting to be picked up by some poor, desperate woman trying to escape her pain.
I mean, I know it's available over the counter now. I've known this for a while. But reading a news article (how many years ago did I even read that?) is easy to forget. It's easy to be outraged at what I see on the screen, but then eventually I have to go about my day and I sort of just forget about it. But this was the real thing, right in front of my face. At eye level and dressed up in a pretty pink and purple box.
After the eye drops, we went back to check out the prices on bikes. Hannah's been watching the bigger kids ride bikes on our street every night with a look in her eyes that says, "they must be having more fun than I could ever imagine having!" Of course she found one she loved and of course I let her try it out and of course she threw a fit when I tried to get her back in the cart. So ya know what? I just bought the bike. Ted's been asking me to keep my eyes out for a cheap one at a consignment store or Craigslist. But sometimes you just can't wait for the deal. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and fork over 40 bucks for a bike. (40 bucks, am I the only one who thinks that's a helluva lot of money??)
Paul, well he got nothing. But look how happy he was about it!
To think that "emergency contraceptive" (read: death pill for an itty bitty baby) is sitting on the shelf at the Walmart just down the street makes me sick. To think that I, a Walmart shopper armed with a little bit of cash, could pick up that pretty pink and purple box and kill my newly conceived child is mind boggling. Only myself and some clueless Walmart checker would know. It would be so easy. So cheap. So "painless".
When death can be purchased over the counter off a Walmart shelf for $49.95, well that's just the end of moral civilization as we know it. And if it's not, then I'm absolutely terrified of what's still to come.


Oh gracious. I know what you mean about things not being really real until they are right in front of your face. A total shock to the system.
ReplyDeleteI bet Hannah is LOVING that bike. She looks so proud! Can't wait to see her on it. And Paul- that smile. It kills me.
ReplyDeleteIt breaks my heart to know that stuff is on the shelf and so easy to buy. Very well-written.
I'm so glad Plan B wasn't around when I was super depressed during my first pregnancy. I wasn't where I'm at spiritually now and I'm not sure if I would have strong enough then and that's terrifying to think of.
ReplyDeleteI'm just going to go hug my 2.5 year old and thank God that he gave me the strength to get thru it all.
I know that sounds a little strange - I know how Plan B works and wouldn't have done anything at the stage I was at when the depression kicked in, but I wonder how long until there is something available over the counter to a scared, depressed women in her 8th week of pregnancy.
DeleteI know what you mean. It seems like it only gets worse.
DeleteThis is such a good point. We are all vulnerable, and made for relationship, and need each other, as well as the safeguards of our human communities, in our darkest and hardest moments. We have done our struggling sisters such a great disservice in obliterating a safeguard against acting our of weakness or despiration. Someone just recently spoke about how the internet did this to pornography - there used to be so many hard-stops for a man tempted to use - cost, public humilations, physically going someplace, physically hiding it someplace, etc. Now, nada. Lord have Mercy on us all!
DeleteVery sobering to think about. I don't know when or where the madness will stop, but it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all.
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures Kaitlin, Hannah looks so happy!! and the other stuff is so sad and scary :(
ReplyDeleteI wish I could put a sign on that shelf saying "if you don't think you can parent your baby....my family would love the chance to raise your precious child...call me at xxx"
ReplyDeleteUgh. Ugh ugh ugh. And another lovely thing about it is that people aren't actually educated about WHEN they can get pregnant, so I'm sure Big Pharmacy will make tons of money from it being readily available for people having unprotected sex during a time in their cycle when they couldn't possibly get pregnant. It's ridiculous to me that they don't cover basic fertility in those stupid "Family Life Education" classes we had to take - I had no idea until my NFP books!
ReplyDeleteYup. You are absolutely right.
ReplyDeleteI don't want to start anything, but I do want to have the truth out there. Plan B (I assume that is what you are referring to) doesn't cause an abortion.
ReplyDelete"The drug mainly prevents pregnancy by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary, and by preventing the fertilization of an egg, Dr. Christopher Estes, assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, told MyHealthNewsDaily in a 2011 interview.
While the drug causes changes to the lining of the uterus, it does not interfere with the implantation of a fertilized egg, Estes said. In fact, in order to stabilize the pregnancies of women who've suffered miscarriages, doctors give a drug very similar to Plan B, Estes said.
The drug will not work if a woman is already pregnant. (It has no effect on an existing pregnancy, according to Teva.) Emergency contraception will not cause an abortion." http://www.livescience.com/29215-how-plan-b-works.html
I do not agree with abortion and would consider myself pro-life. I am not Catholic, but I am born-again. I do not have any children (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome took care of that). I use birth control because the medication that I take for multiple sclerosis is considered a Class C potential toxin to a baby. It also helps with the myriad of hormonal problems I have due to the PCOS. I do not think that this should be sold over the counter because of the potential side effects. I do think abstinance is the best option pre-marriage, but I recognize that it is better to prevent a pregnancy than have a 14 year old as a parent.
That's my history and where I stand on the issue. Hope it makes sense.
Hi Mrs. Jen, thanks for weighing in (and for doing so respectfully!) I just pulled this from WebMD: "It is also possible that this type of emergency birth control prevents implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterus by altering its lining." (regarding Plan B) So it seems that it's a matter of which website you consult. But it's a fact that contraception changes the lining of the uterus to prevent a breakthrough fertilized egg from implanting (ie. a very early abortion), so I can't see how a drug that contains the same chemicals as birth control (but even higher dosages) wouldn't cause an abortion in the same way that contraception does.
DeleteAnd I'm so sorry you and your husband haven't been able to have children. I don't have PCOS (my infertility was caused by endometriosis and some other things) but I know a lot of my fellow bloggers do and have had great success being treated for it. If you're not already connected with them and want to be, let me know! And if you're offended at advice about your fertility and hate when people weigh in without being asked, then pretend I never said anything :)
DeleteThanks Kaitlin, I was a little worried about weighing in, didn't want to drive some mommas crazy. :) I found your blog through Bonnie - we went to college together - and have really enjoyed reading about your journey. Hubby and I are probably going to remain childless. While MS doesn't have a huge genetic link (I have no family with it), its chances are increased enough of giving it to a child that I don't want to run the risk of passing it on. I have an amazing niece and nephew that I can dote on so I can get my baby fix when needed. :)
DeleteWhat an awesome attitude and witness!
DeleteMakes you sick.
ReplyDeleteBut YEA for the bike!!! Precious girl!! FOllow up post please!