Would you like to join me for an exercise in self control? Go get some of this.
Then set it on your counter. And tell yourself to only eat one slice per day. Can't do it? How about one slice per hour? No, that's too hard too? Then just do whatever you can to keep from eating the entire bag in ten minutes and reward your amazing iron will by....finishing off the entire bag. Then feel really guilty because that one pound cost five bucks.
Dried mango. It's so freaking good. A story to illustrate:
A few months ago Karen and Lauren came to visit. Funnest. weekend. ever. To divy up the food responsibilities, Karen offered to bring the alcohol (naturally) and Lauren offered to make a "decadent dessert". Well, since she has two kids and had to drive three hours to get to me, the dessert didn't get made. What did she do instead? She picked up three bags of dried mango. And then told me and Karen that it would be one of the best things we'd ever eaten and that we wouldn't even mind that she didn't make double fudged stuffed brownies with oreo topping and caramel sauce from scratch. And we looked at her like she was insane.
And then we ate the dried mango. And now we call it mango crack. And now I trust anything Lauren says.
-2-
Speaking of mango, can we talk about food allergies for a second? Or sensitivities would probably be a better word if you care about which words I use to describe food allergies sensitivities. I admit, I was one of the top skeptics when it came to the everyone-is-allergic-to-something-and-gluten-is-killing-us-all world we live in now. I honestly just didn't believe people when they told me their kids had all these allergies and that such and such food would make them sick. Now that Hannah and Paul both can't have dairy (which means no dairy for me while nursing. None. Not even a food with sodium caseinate listed as the 19th ingredient.) I'm obviously a believer. But now, it's gotten even worse.
I've jumped on the gluten bandwagon. And I don't know if I'll ever be able get off. To make a long and boring story short, I can't eat gluten if I want to feel decent. Now, if I want to feel bloated and miserable and lethargic everyday, then I can chow down on those cinnamon rolls and even allow a little flour in my soup as a thickener. But I don't want to feel like that. So I can't eat gluten. Or dairy. And that sucks.
I remember (this is where the mango comes in) a friend I used to work with (who had Celiac, thus couldn't have gluten) told me that after so long without it she could actually find pleasure in just smelling a loaf of bread or a brownie. That she didn't even have to taste it to enjoy it. She also thought frozen mango was about the best "dessert" on the planet. Holly, I admit I thought you were a bit crazy. Now I totally get you. Brownies smell great. And smelling them is way better than eating them and feeling like crap. And well, I just devoted an entire quick take to mango. So I guess that makes me a food sensitivity loser.
-3-
While we're on the topic of food, could you sweet readers help me out? I've been pretty much perpetually hungry since Paul was born. Nursing a 19 pound five month old and not being able to eat 80% of the food on the grocery store shelves will do that too you. I need snack ideas!!! And I need them bad. I might actually die if I eat any more almonds. Or peanut butter straight from the jar. Or hummus. Please, please, please! What else is there?
What are some snack ideas that fit all of the following categories?
a) Does not contain any gluten or dairy. Not even a trace.
b) Is edible (preferably yummy, but I'll settle for edible).
c) Will help me actually feel full/Is high in protein.
d) Doesn't involve more than six second of prep time.
e) Doesn't cost the equivalent of an entire bag of dried mango.
What's that you say? It doesn't exist. Well I guess I'll settle for 4 out of 5. Just help!
-4-
Is this post already too long? I better skip #4.
-5-
How about some Hannah quotes? Our best friends in town just had their first baby, an adorable and precious and sweet little girl named Ruth.
Hannah's in love. She talks about "Woof" all day long. Like yesterday, for example:
H, while crawling around and roaring: I a lion. You a tiger.
Me: And what's Paul?
H: He's baby Woof!
H, while watching two squirrels run around the backyard: Mommy look ("yut")! Two squirrels!
Me: Wow! I see them. Do you think they're friends?
H: No mommy. Not friends. Just squirrels.
And her response when she saw Paul's spit up all over the kitchen floor?
Mommy look! Paul made a smile face!
-6-
In a slight change from pictures of breast milk vomit, How would you like to completely change someone's life for the better and win a free purse while doing it? I've talked about my talented sister-in-law Kate on here before. She really is amazing. Better than Martha Stewart (and without that awkward topless sketch she did for Saturday Night Live. Or the jail time.)
She can do everything from flowers to party decorations to interior design to sewing. And man can she sew. Take a look at some of my favorites from her Etsy shop.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
And she does custom bride and bridesmaid stuff for weddings. Like this.
Because she's amazing.
And she's offered to give away one of her purses from her K8 Made shop just because I asked her to! And now the life changing part. Kate entered a contest (by none other than Martha Stewart herself....) to try to win $10,000 to be used to grow her business. She wants to turn her hobby into a full time job and I really, really, really want her to get this.
So follow the rafflecopter rules below and enter to win the purse of your choosing (excluding diaper bags, but they're awesome so you should just buy one). Setting up an account to vote was fast and easy and I haven't received one single piece of spam. You're not obligated to vote for K8 Made, obviously. Vote for anyone you want. (But seriously, her purses are the best, soooo......) Then go back and vote six times a day to help make someone's dreams come true.
-7-
If you want an extra 5,000,000* chances to win, leave a comment with a snack idea that meets all my above criteria. Come on, do Ted a favor and help me stop complaining about being hungry all the time.
And dangit I can't figure out how to do the links in Rafflecopter for the life of me. You'll have to copy paste. I'm a blogging giveaway failure.
*those are just pretend entries.







I'm in love with the Blue Chevron Envelope clutch! And the things that Hannah says :)
ReplyDeleteI honestly am very uneducated when it comes to gluten free foods - I have no idea what is or is not gluten free but I do know corn can be on a gluten free diet sometimes - idk. but this recipe is awesome and very filling! http://pinterest.com/pin/135882113730512793/ Maybe you could make it without corn?
ReplyDeleteOh and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE the pink and grey chevron clutch :)
ReplyDeleteHi! What? Don't know who I am? ;) I know, I've been a little MIA. If I were to win I'd love the Clutch Floral Print Twist Lock.
ReplyDeleteI like the purse that has the burgandy top and handles and the tan background flowered bottom the best! :) It's the second one you posted above. Love it!!
ReplyDeleteHave you tried squash hummus? Or Zucchini Fries? How about melon freeze? (Better than ice cream- there's no dairy PLUS you get an awesome frozen dessert! :)
ReplyDeleteMe thinks either the clover or lavender leaves with be wonderful!
ReplyDeleteapple chips and almond milk smoothies are all that is coming to mind but I'll keep thinking :)
just saw these online today: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/16/chocolate-frosting-shots/
ReplyDeletehttp://www.naturalfertilityandwellness.com/gluten-free-chocolate-cookies/
Dried mangoes, pfft. Dried mangoes with chili+salt+touch of sugar <----Yeah, baby! One reason to live on the US/Mex border.
ReplyDeletechili powder?? or actual chili, like the soup? Either way-I'll try anything with dried mango in it!
DeleteYes, chili powder. Feast your eyes: http://elsuperleonponchinsnacks.com/mango
DeleteGreat combination of spicy, sweet, salty and mango. I can eat through a container in minutes. Not that I've done that before. ;-)
I love the light blue shoulder bag with the prairie birds on it. :)
ReplyDeleteThe only snack I can think of is Beef Jerky. Some of the brands (like Oberto) have some of the flavors that are gluten free (some aren't so check the label). You may be able to find it cheaper than mango, and it's got a lot of protein!
I recommend checking into Karina Allrich's site: glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteShe is bona fide crazy new-age touchy-feely feminist weirdo, but her recipes are a lifesaver. When I first went GF, I was recommended her site and truly, I have found no better resources. Just skip over her ramblings and go straight to the recipes :-) Karina also has many dairy-free recipes as well, due to casein-intolerance. She's very allergen-friendly!
As I'm the only GF in my household of 5 adults, I tend to make batches and freeze the extra (GF doesn't keep well after two days) for quick on-the-go-snacks. It does take some extra time in preparation because you have 10 times more ingredients to deal with, but the results are amazing. When I'm generous enough to share with my housemates, they're often in awe that it's even GF!
I would recommend instant oatmeal for a quick pick-me-up, but many GF folks find discomfort with oats, so if that's the case for you, I'd recommend quinoa flakes: super protein-rich and cook up like oatmeal.
Ummm...beans and rice? Together they make a complete protein, and they're super cheap (dried beans).
Almonds and dried apricots are big snack items I rely on too. Hope some of these suggestions can work out for you!
P.S. I love purse #2.
I love the yellow chevron clutch!
ReplyDeleteFeather Print Envelope Clutch
ReplyDeleteAlmonds! And this cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Elizabeths-Kitchen-Gluten-free-Allergy-Free/dp/0578073072
I love the feather print ones - don't make me choose between them (unless I won!)
ReplyDeleteAnd I absolutely love these: http://practicalpaleo.blogspot.com/2011/06/primal-fudge.html Whole food, but high calorie so you maybe it will stop the hunger?
It does require a bit of prep time but not much - literally mix and put in the freezer and you have several. Has almond butter in it for protein (but not almondy - it will feel like a break from almonds!)
DeleteOk where can you get dried mango?
ReplyDeleteMy toddler is gluten intolerant and my husband doesn't do a lot of dairy, so one staple for us is Jack's Cantina salsa (at Costco, Dave just calls it 'Mommy Crack') mixed with black beans, which we then scoop and shovel with corn tortilla chips, veggies, or honestly, a spoon. It's good hot or cold, and it's mild enough that my 16 month old will eat it too.
ReplyDeleteThose clutches are amazing. I love the cobalt one at the end.
Literally everything I've tried/made from this site has been awesome. I found it when I had to go dairy free for my son, but all her stuff is GF and vegan. http://ohsheglows.com/ :)
ReplyDeleteThe blue chevron clutch is adorable!
ReplyDeleteAs for gluten free snacks, I am always up for the challenge in figuring that out. Some of our/my favorites are as follows:
-Celery sticks with full-fat cream cheese (or in YOUR case, almond butter)
-Nitrate-free sliced turkey (or ham) wrapped around avocado slices, carrots, or peppers (with some dijon if you're really feeling fancy!)
-I know you said you were sick of almonds, but have you tried roasting those bad boys? Try whisking an egg white, throwing in some spices - check the net - and then toss in your almonds. Roast in the oven for a short bit. A-m-a-z-i-n-g. I even plan on trying to make some with cocoa powder and a pinch of sugar or honey.
-Pirate Booty....because it's good.
-Fresh fruit and/or fresh veggies. Buy them on sale. Cut them up at the beginning week and put them in the fridge ready to go. -Make a mixture of veganaise, dijon mustard and whole grain mustard for dipping! Um...but not for the fruit. Almond butter will work just fine.
-My kids LOVE apple slices with cinnamon. I do too. For some reason it makes them 100% more special
-At the beginning of the week (here I go again) boil a dozen or less, eggs. Keep them in the fridge to grab at the ready.
Is that enough for now? Let me know if you want more...because it's always a personal goal of mine to check out more food that's good to eat...but healthy :)
Ok my snack idea is greek yogurt with a little bit of jam or honey.
ReplyDeleteNow for the purses.. oh my goodness I'm in love! I adore the Navy and Green Geometric Print Shoulder Bag and the Floral Clutch with buttons! Goodness gracious! She is SO talented!!
1) What about jerky?
ReplyDelete2) Here's my favorite soup (and I'm not even GF) http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006/09/roasted-corn-chowder-with-cilantro.html
3) Also on the roasted corn thing, here's my recipe for cowboy caviar. Add quinoa and it should be pretty filling. http://grumblinggratitude.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/my-kicka-cowboy-caviar/
The feather print envelope clutch is adorable!
ReplyDeleteOk my go-to snacks are these - guacamole with corn chips or on salad greens (the guac I make with 5 ingredients - avocado mashed, chopped tomato, fresh cilantro, onion and lime juice.) I realize many ppl don't like avocado or cilantro, but I think it tastes great and it's super easy, fresh and avocado keeps you full for a while. My second recipe is super easy - it's pancakes. One banana, one egg and 1-2 tblns of nut butter. Fry up. DE-LISH! Sometimes I put stewed berries on top (I did nectarines and blueberries the other day) or homemade applesauce. I'll make them for breakfast sometimes and keeps me full well past lunch.
ReplyDeleteI love the shoulder bag!
ReplyDeleteI really love these. Regular cocoa powder is what I've always used- not really sure how cacao is different. Sometimes I use a dollop of coconut oil when I don't have quite enough dates. http://prenatalcoach.com/healthy-dessert-raw-cacao-brownies/
ReplyDeleteLove the burgundy shoulder bag! fun giveaway! I love dried Mango too. Can I win some of that??! :)
ReplyDeleteI lived on veggies when I was gluten and dairy and sugar free. I just prepared them all right away when i bought them and they they were always ready to snack on.
ReplyDeleteI ate them with hummus...A LOT OF HUMMUS...like our life savings worth in a weeks time!
I think I love this one the most: http://www.etsy.com/listing/105054280/clutch-blue-and-yellow-floral-clutch?ref=related-0
ReplyDeleteBut they are all stunning. And you have got me super curious about the mango...
Chocolate almond milk. :)
ReplyDeleteI think the burgundy floral shoulder bag is so pretty! I wish I had money in the budget to buy one right now! Your sister-in-law is very talented. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd I love dried mango, too. So yummy!
Hard boiled eggs, egg salad, deviled eggs (sense a theme?) beef jerky, homemade granola (store versions often contain wheat in some form - I'm happy to share my recipe if you're interested; it's super delish), tuna, sardines (which are also high in calcium & only $1), smoked salmon/lox, spiral-sliced ham (cheaper than lunchmeat and it can sit in your fridge already sliced, waiting for you to come along and snag a snack, bonus: you can make soup with the bone). I am gluten free and my kids have dairy allergies, so these are all staples in our diet.
ReplyDeleteIf you want something to buy from the store, try Larabars. I've found them at most grocery stores in the natural food section and at Target next to the pharmacy along side the energy bars (not in the grocery section).
ReplyDeleteThey are not cheap, so you can make your own, but it takes longer. Someone listed a brownie recipe above that is essentially a chocolate Larabar.
If you need a different kind of almond, these are chocolate ones addicting: http://www.bluediamond.com/?navid=467 (they are covered in a chocolate powder, not like normal chocolate covered nuts) You could also get some Enjoy Life chocolate chips (dairy and gluten free) and melt them on nuts.
I make a lot of smoothies and add flax seeds (grind them up first).
I love the Feather Print Envelope Clutch!
ReplyDeleteI like the grey and pink chevron.
ReplyDeleteI make crustless quiches in muffin tins. They are small and tasty. I make them at the beginning of the week and most days I heat one up in the toaster oven for a high protien snack. I like bacon and spinach. All my recipes have dairy though :( I'm sure someone's come up with a dairy free quiche by now?
We love the dried mango here too. The farmer's marker nearby has a dried variety of any fruit you can imagine. Many of them are less then stellar but we keep enjoying the mango. And they are sold in the 'candy shop' part of the store, so my kids think they're candy. Win!
PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES!!! The super easy three ingredient kind you find on the back of Kraft Peanut Butter tubs. The ingredients include peanut butter, sugar and an egg. Whip them together, toss them in the oven, wait 10 minutes, then maybe another 5 for them too cool enough so they don't burn your tongue and viola, a filling, delicious snack (low fat wasn't a criteria, right? in any case, peanuts are good fat right :) Bake, eat and be merry!
ReplyDeleteOh boy! I love the bird Ipad case (would it fit a droid note?)..or the blue/yellow floral clutch...or the floral twist clutch! Too many to choose from :). Here are a few websites to help:
ReplyDeletea girl i know from college: http://www.glutenfreehappytummy.blogspot.com/
she has a few snack recipes, but lots of meals too.
everyone i know loves this site: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/
or hummus..
wow! your sister in law is seriously talented. i love the pink and gray chevron or the yellow chevron clutch!
ReplyDeletechia pudding...google it...most of the recipes just require chia seeds and coconut milk maybe a little honey put in a mason jar overnight in the fridge. Easy peasy, filling, nurturing.
ReplyDeleteoh, yeah...and the envelope clutch with apples, pears, and citrus print...
Delete