Thursday, January 1, 2015

Documenting My Undocumented Year

Well hi there. Has it really been a year already? I honestly didn't think I could do it, but I haven't posted for an entire year. Other than my marriage, that's probably the best I've ever stuck with a commitment. And ya know what? It was wonderful.

There were times I missed this space. But there were many more times I was glad to be away. It took me a solid two months to stop "thinking in blogspeak" once I exited the tab for good. Two months! I continued to formulate posts in my head and think of creative titles for posts about everyday events. But I don't anymore and that's wonderful. I logged on tonight to do a quick recap of 2014 chalked full of pictures of my adorable kids, but of course I was sucked into reading the post I wrote a year ago. I laid out six goals for myself for the year and what I wanted to accomplish in giving up the blog.

Here's my report card:

What I do want to do is to read more with Hannah. Stretch her mind and her attention span by finding more and better books all the time. Make reading a favorite activity that we do throughout the day instead of mostly at bedtime.

A. We read so many freaking books this year. I maxed out our 50 book limit at the library more than once. We listened to endless hours of audiobooks in the car. And I got super addicted to this podcast. We now read in the morning as we snuggle on the couch. I read out loud while they eat breakfast and sometimes lunch. I read to Paul every evening after dinner (his attention span is incredible!) and I read to Hannah as I tuck her into bed. I even squeezed in a few "themes" in our reading this year. Namely, the four seasons and Advent/Christmas. I'm definitely tooting my own horn here. I did good.

I want to focus on disciplining Paul, rather than just carrying him around so he won't get into trouble. I want to make the difficult effort to teach him right from wrong at his adorable young age so that our family can live more peacefully with a baby who is learning to listen.

Hmmm, B+. He's really a pretty good kid and listens as well as any other 22 month old. He most certainly has a naughty little boy streak that I find absolutely heartwarming and endearing and I admit that I smile and giggle a lot when I should be firm and correct him. I'm working on it. He has me twisted around his fat little finger. But he does know that if he whines he goes to his crib. He puts himself to sleep whenever I decide it's nap time. And he's quite good at cleaning up his toys. Now if I could just muster up the energy to get off the couch and stop him from before he flushes things in the damn toilet.....

I want to read. Real books. From real authors. Not 800 words on a blog post that I will forget as quickly as I exit out of the tab.


C. I think I read about five book this year. The best was Perelandra by CS Lewis. My goal for 2015 is to read 15 and I'm starting with Kristin Lavransdatter.

I want to strengthen the friendships I've been fortunate to make here in Florida. I want to make time for more coffee dates and ladies nights instead of stretching myself crazy stupid thin trying to keep up with every friend I've ever had by commenting on pictures of their kids on facebook.


A. When I think back on the last year, I remember quite a few ladies' nights and coffee dates. I'm blessed with great friends and I'm so glad I actually hung out with them this year.

I want to get better at meal planning and budgeting instead of just throwing food on the table because I was too lazy to do anything during the kids' naps except zone out on the internet.


D. When will I learn?? When oh when will I learn????

I want to finally, finally start getting up before the kids in the morning. Sip my coffee in peace and talk to Jesus before I check my email. Rather than roll out of bed bleary eyed and exhausted because I stayed up way too late wasting time on the stupid internet.


B. For the last several months I've been getting up an hour before the kids every morning. I'm dressed and have had my coffee before they come downstairs. Most days I've already eaten breakfast and theirs is waiting on the table. This would be an A, if it weren't for the fact that my mornings are just super productive alone times rather than peaceful prayer times. Getting up early has been great. But putting Jesus last and making breakfast instead has not been. New goal: pray first. Coffee second.

I wasn't nearly as successful at giving up Facebook. And I did join Instagram...... So overall, I was still firmly planted in social media on a regular basis. I posted a lot less on facebook but probably read and commented just as much as before. But I really, really like Instagram. So that can stay. But Facebook and I need to try another hand at breaking up. Dare I say I'll give it up for 2015?? Time will tell.

Ok, that's enough for now. I'll do a picture recap post soon. Or maybe not. I really don't plan to return to blogging so don't be surprised if I disappear for a while again. I DO promise to write up the birth story of baby number three (((what?? You didn't know we were pregnant?!? 35 weeks! Poor neglected third child didn't get his/her own blog post announcement.....))) so hold me to that if I flake out.

Until next time, Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! Happy Feast of Mary, Mother of God!






22 comments:

  1. Well, I missed you! And, I had no idea you were expecting!! Congrats! 35 weeks!!! God is so good. I admire your stick-to-it-ness, but selfishly, I hope you'll blog a little :)

    Happy New Year from a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are back! I'm so proud of you. Now I want to hear about everything! Love to our little St. Peter the Fisherman family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking of you the other day! So happy to read all is well...and THIRD baby...WHAT!!?!? Congrats. Wish I lived back in FL to have some coffee with you! Excited to hear more about your life this year. I have been down and out with blogging too...but then I read things like this and am reminded how fun it is to “catch up” with internet friends. It’s been too long ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaaay for you! And your family ... because it seems they are reaping wonderful benefits from your stick-to-it-ive-ness on this matter, too. I missed your posts in 2014, but every time I clicked over here to see if you had "broken" your commitment I was so happy that you hadn't! I assumed some good livin' was happening, and it looks like it was! Thanks for the update, CONGRATS on Bebe Numero Tres, and keep doin' what works for you and your precious family. You have inspired me big time by being absent/LIVING your moments instead of DOCUMENTING them (I need to work on that kind of self discipline) and by reporting your progress with reading as a family, disciplining the baby and somehow managing to get up early and give that time to God (and breakfast). Three areas I want to do better in, too. Happy new year, and I'll say prayers for a smooth, safe delivery and healthy new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you back! I was hoping you'd post soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back :)

    that dress is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back and thank you for posting an update! So happy to hear your 2014 was a productive and happy one! Congratulations on baby #3! :) Looking forward to his or her birth story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! I have read your blog for years and missed your posts in 2014. Congratulations on baby #3! I hope you continue posting in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's such a treat to read your thoughts today!

    I've been getting up early again (was doing that a couple years ago) for something called the miracle morning. It helps tremendously set up my day.

    If nothing else, I'll be eagerly awaiting that birth story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the new baby! And on your successes above.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So amazing to hear from you! Can't wait for that birth story! You're going to rock it! Are you having a doula this time??

    ReplyDelete
  12. So great to hear from you and congrats on baby number three!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you do post, PLEASE write book recs for the kiddos. I am a children's book addict. We too managed a theme for Advent and Christmas. Also, Kristin Lavransdatter = great series. :) I am currently reading "Boundaries with Kids" (not a fun fiction book, but a great parenting read).

    CONGRATS on your newest!!! I am so excited to hear this news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Sarah! Check out the podcast I linked to if you haven't already!

      Delete
    2. I love Sarah at Amongst Lovely Things!!!!

      Sarah P - I get a lot of my children's book recommendations from Pinterest. There are some great book lists and then I just reserve them online and pick them up at the library when they come in. So fun!

      Delete
  14. I always loved reading you and enjoyed this update, especially because I debate about blogging and have had lots of similar goals personally, for my family, and regarding social media. Hope youre feeling well! End of pregnancy for #3 was tough for me with 2 others needing me, but so wonderful to birth a babe and totally know what to do with her! No nerves about baby care this time around :) Prayers for a wonderful birth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!! :) I'm so thrilled for you and really glad that you'll be back in the blog world because I've always felt somewhat connected to you since our stories are also similar, especially now that we're also miraculous expecting after all thanks to NaPro (also, I once had a woman I met at work nearly convince me that you were her cousin's niece's sister-in-law or something strange like that. Or someone who blogs and has exactly your same story and lives in Florida does anyway. Not to sound creepy. No creepy.) Anyway, all that to say that I'm glad your back and I'm pretending in my head that my blog hiatus has been half as intentional and efficacious as yours has been. All the cool kids are doing it, right? ;) Welcome back and congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happyalmosthomemaker, that's awesome! I wonder who the connection is.

      Delete
  16. So nice to see you in my feed again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I missed you, but it was fun seeing you around FB…glad you didn't totally give up social media. Can't wait to "meet" the newest little one! Praying for you and the babe! Oh and we read over meals too, at least over breakfast and lunch sometimes…so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaha. I feel like I could have written this. My blog was insanely short lived and I still think about writing, but ultimately I'm glad that I don't. Congrats on the birth of your little boy! #stalker, I follow you on Instagram :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!