1. I strongly resisted the urge to ever do a "quick takes" or any other fad blogging post. But today, I couldn't resist. I had the urge to write about, well, 7 quick things that have been happening lately. I couldn't write about 7 quick things without giving Jen the credit for the idea. And on a Friday nonetheless! Her blog really is amazing. You should check it out if you haven't already.
2. I sewed something! Some friends of ours came down from Missouri and stayed with us during our Spring Break. Jessie is a talented "sewist" (I know "sewer" isn't right at least) and helped me make this cute box for our bookshelf. As long as you don't look at the bottom-I did a pretty good job! I really want to make more but I'm nervous I won't be able to do it without her help. I credit my inspiration to Sew and my sister-in-law Kate.
3. This cycle has been amazing! First a painless period, then no headaches from the clomid, then a PERFECT mucus cycle! I have felt some mood swings coming on (which are a side effect of clomid) but I've been able to recognize them coming and avoid a disastrous outburst. I've been telling Ted, "I'm getting really mad at you right now" and "I think I'm going to cry" in the calmest voice possible. I've managed to walk away when I'm mad and he just started praying when I was about to cry. This is MUCH better than the emotional roller coaster and constant headaches last month! Maybe the clomid will actually work....
4. Since my last post about the struggles I dealt with before marrying Ted, I've heard from several friends who are currently going through similar struggles. It seems that the only advice I'm able to give is what I've learned through the St. Ignatius retreat. Seriously, everyone needs to do this. I don't know how I ever made decisions without his help.
5. Ted and I enjoyed the sunny, 70 degree weather out on the lake today. He caught a bunch of bass and crappie that will be our dinner for the next couple of Fridays! I love spending time with him on the water, even though I just sleep and read. There's just something so special about being included in his favorite pastime (if you could even call it a pastime-more like an obsession). I'm thankful he doesn't mind that I don't fish and hope he realizes how much I enjoy just watching him do it.
6. With the retreat I haven't been reading as much as usual. I needed a book for the lake today and grabbed a Christmas gift from my brother-in-law. Come Be My Light: The Private Writing of Mother Teresa. I have had such a strong love for Mother Teresa since I was very little. I remember learning about her death in fourth grade and saving newspaper articles about her because I knew they would be treasures one day (unfortunately I have no idea where they are anymore). I've only read the first 3 chapters of the book, but I already love her more than ever. She was an incredible person, far more amazing than the world ever knew. I can't wait to read the rest!
7. Today is the Feast of St. Joseph! St. Joseph is Ted's patron saint and one of our favorites. I'm learning to relate to St. Joseph a little more since I began carrying our cross of infertility. He never had any children of his own either and was a "foster" parent to our Lord. I'm sure that wasn't the plan he had for himself, but I bet he was grateful for the way things turned out! We've been praying a novena to St. Joseph for the blessing of children and today will be the last day of our novena. Last night I told St. Joe that if we conceived this month we would name the baby after him in thanksgiving for answered prayers. I was kind of joking, but if it works I might feel pretty obligated! This isn't a problem if we have a boy, we've already been planning on using the middle name Joseph as it goes back as a middle name for three generations in Ted's family. But what if we have a girl?? I guess Josephine isn't too bad for a middle name...
Here's the prayer we've been praying. I got it from Jeremiah 29:11.
St. Joseph, you are the chaste and loving spouse of the Virgin Mary, foster father of Jesus, the protector and provider of the Holy Family and of all families. We have complete confidence in your loving care for new life and in your fidelity to the family. We commend our efforts to have a child to your prayers and protection. Intercede for us to God the Father that we might be blessed with the gift of new life. Help us always to defend the gift of human life that it may grow to the abundance of eternal life promised and bestowed on us by Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Mother Teresa's "Come Be My Light" is absolutely wonderful. I should probably go back and reread it soon. Had she been canonized at the time, she was first in line to be my patron saint.
ReplyDeleteI need that box!!!!!!! I saw it and I was wondering where you "bought" it! I'm so excited you sew..!! I hate it. :) But I also love the gratification. :) hahahaha
ReplyDeleteI told St. Gerard the same, and when it was a girl I didn't feel obligated. I think Gerard would agree.
ReplyDelete;)
I DO like Josephine though. A little baby of a work friend of mine was just born and named Josephina, but they are Hispanic so it's pronounced "Hosefina." I love it.
I am very close to St. Joseph, too, and he is proof that biology is overrated. The Best Father in History and he certainly didn't share his Son's DNA.
:)
I'm so hopeful for you this cycle :) I'll keep you in prayer...St. Joseph is very powerful!
ReplyDeleteCute box! That's a pretty advanced project.
ReplyDeleteI like Joseph and Josephine! Keep your hopes up.
I've not yet posted on your blog but I want you to know that I've been reading...
ReplyDeleteI'm an SLP too! I'm currently doing my CF in a school in Boston. It's been crazy but I'm learning a lot. I'm going to have to pick your brain sometime!
Prayers for you....
I have your newspaper article about Mother Teresa! After I read your blog I went through my hope chest and there it was, right next to a beautiful banner with a small angel in the corner proclaiming "God is Coming Katie's Way". I remember the morning we got it-we were at Hoeckele's Bakery getting donuts for Saturday morning breakfast and there it was in the news stand outside the bakery. We knew immediately that we had to buy a newpaper and keep it safe. I still have it and have kept it safe-For You.
ReplyDeleteMy DH likes to go fishing as well (and my dad is a tournament bass fishermen), so I have been around fishing a lot. My issue - I don't actually like to fish. But...I like being out on the water and I too rest and/or read while in the boat. My DH doesn't seem to mind and we are able to be together. We however still have some ice on our lakes, so there is no fishing to be done these days! :) I am glad you are able to enjoy it now. Have a great week!
ReplyDeletewhat pattern did you use for that box? ;)
ReplyDelete