Sunday, April 11, 2010

An Un-Clever Title

I've been thinking. About this blog. I think I'm trying too hard. I don't post as often as I would like because I need almost an hour to sit down and type out a complete entry. I have a feeling that an hour is not a normal amount of time to spend on one post. I know what my problem is. I'm too anal.

I've discovered that I feel like every single post has to have a "theme". I can't just ramble-or give an update on how I'm feeling. Oh no-that would be too easy. I must share my thoughts that are centered around one overwhelming (and very interesting) theme. This is exhausting. I'm not that interesting and it's hard to try to be something you're not.

Each blog post must have a unique title. I have sat for far too long thinking about titles for my posts. This must stop.

I also feel pressure to "educate" others with my posts. And while this isn't a bad thing-I don't need to do it every time. I dont need to defend the teachings of the Church or talk about the Gospel passage in every single entry. Some days it will be ok to just write about how crappy I feel, how sad I am, or how awful my mood swings are. Exciting stuff, huh?

I should NOT care who reads this blog. I would lying if I said I really didn't care who was reading this. Humility has never been my gift. I care what other's think and I sometimes write in ways that I think other people will find interesting. I'm going to TRY to stop this. No promises.

On that same note, I'm going to try to stop caring if people are interested in what I have to say. Sometimes I shy away from posting things about life outside of the infertility bubble. Believe it or not I don't spend every waking moment thinking about having kids. I do other things. I hang out with friends, spend time with my husband, complain talk about work, etc. I don't write about these kinds of things because I think I'll be wasting the time of other IFer's who are reading this. They are the ones that comment (thanks ladies-comments make my day!) so I feel like I need to keep them interested, keep them satisfied. This is stupid. I feel stupid just typing it.

I also don't need to shy away from posting boring or detailed information about my medicine or symptoms. I think that some of my friends are reading this (although they don't commet-and that's ok! it's good for my humility lacking self) and I sometimes avoid writing about specific details of infertility thinking that they won't want to hear it. That they will only read if I'm witty, interesting, or share some kind of insight worth reading. And even if they do only want that kind of post, that's ok! Every browswer has an exit button and they can use it at any time they wish. No obligation to read every single thing I write. Come and go as you please!

Typos are not the devil. I do not have perfect grammar. I'm not the best speller.  But I spend far too much time proofreading and spellchecking every single post. If you are turned off but typos and missing commas, from now on-feel free to move along.

I'm crediting this liberation to All You Who Hope and Life From Inside the Wheelbarrow. I recently went through and read their archives. Some of the titles were cutesy and unique-others were not. Some of their posts had a "theme" but most were just updates about how they were feeling and what was going on. And you know what? I was on the edge of my seat (not literally-I was reclined on the couch with my feet on the coffee table). I cried tears of sorrow and tears of joy for each of them. Even though there may have been a typo or a rambling post from time to time. Thanks girls.

And now, a story to highlight my analness, even though it doesn't go with the rest of this post. (this is killing me-I promise you, but I'm forcing myself to do it.). The other day I stood in front of our fridge and glanced at the dry-erase calendar on the freezer door. I noticed a tiny black dot on Monday, April 5th. I erased the dot immediately and asked Ted, "Did you put a dot on Monday?" When he picked his jaw up from off the floor he said, "How in the world did you notice that?? You are insane!!" He put the dot there to remind him of when we last ran the dish washer. He wanted to know how often we ran it, thinking that we could try to cut back. I laughed and laughed. I really am incredibly anal and notice even the tinniest thing out of place. He decided that he was going to start changing things all over the house and see if I notice. Nothing big-tiny little things that no normal person would ever notice. I'm sure I'll probably find most of them. And the ones I don't find will drive me crazy knowing that they're out there and I haven't "fixed" them yet. I'm excited for this new game!

12 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this post!!! You're on to something here. :)

    And, I need to take a lot of it to heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Funny story. Good work by Ted!

    I, too, am very anal about spelling, and grammar, and commas, and spacing after pictures, and paragraph size, and, well, the list could go on and on. But you're absolutely right. There's more to this blogging thing than worrying about what others think. Cuz they're not the ones doing the writing and pouring their heart into it. It's YOU. So write what YOU want. Sometimes, it will help others. Sometimes, it will only help YOU. Either way, it's serving a very important purpose.

    I promise that I will continue to read every one of your posts. As I have from Day 1.

    Love you guys,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cracking up (about the dot!!) I am the same way about both blogging (hence my lack of posts) and noticing ANYTHING out of place. I know if someone has picked up and looked at a picture on my shelf because I have all of them at very specific angles so that you can really see each photo. When I walk into a room (mine or someone else's) I immediately notice everything that is out of place and I mentally put it when it should be. Someone once told me that this is a trait that the CIA looks for in it's agents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a non substantial comment to go along with the theme of this post (and my first comment since you started blogging!). I'm pretty sure my roommate is baffled (but says nothing) when I rearrange the fruit bowl every time she adds or eats something. A still life looking arrangement is important to me. You wouldn't have batted an eye if I did this in our Rockwood House (but I think I kept my fruit in the fridge). Actually, you probably would have rearranged what I arranged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kaitlin - I like your blog "themes" or not and will keep reading regardless. You have probably noticed my blog - I am all over the place and I prefer that. I don't want to be defined by IF...yes, it is a big part of my life, but some of my passions are the Saints, cooking, interesting prayers, etc. I like having a place to share them. I agree with you, if people don't want to read they can click on over to something more interesting and there is a TON of stuff out there more interesting than my little small, inconsequential corner of the world. So write what your passions are and I look forward to seeing what you come up with! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is funny that he put a dot on that calendar and you noticed. Why didn't he just tell you that he wanted to keep track of how many times you two turn on the dishwasher? Men.

    YOu can make the blog whatever you want and you can share whatever you want too. I think of my blog as my online journal. IT's my thoughts and what is going on in my life...people can read or leave it. But it's nice to know people are reading and commenting, huh???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I really enjoyed visit your lovely website! I just wanted to say hello and let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers!

    By the way, my name is Maria, I'm forty three, and I've been married for almost three years now. Hubby and I have been trying to concieve for three years. We found out two years ago after surgery that I have endometriosis stage four. I've had two surgeries so far.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers!

    http://hailmaryfullofgrace-mt.blogspot.com/

    May God Bless you!

    Maria Therese in Mass

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh at this! It's funny-I am anal about some things and not about others, and I am glad you are seeing that my posting isn't anal. Sometimes it is downright slapped together. But if I did what you were doing, I wouldn't post! Not enough time! :)
    I want to hear about whatever you want to write about about because I am enjoying getting to know who you are! I am glad you had your revelation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all need to be more real with each other. There's so much beauty and encouragement that comes with honesty, raw unbridled honesty. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should write about whatever you want to write about! People bond over not just the exact things that they share, but also things they don't share but can appreciate. I'm sure we'd all love to hear more about your job as an SLP for example, and your love for children with special needs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your husband is the anal one! Seriously....trying to be super efficient in running the dishwasher! So you are breaking out of your shell....letting loose....running free! We type A personalities are pathetic! I don't think I can change attempting to be a perfectionist on my blog, but more power to you that you can with yours! Use this exercise to your liking. It's therapeutic whatever way you decide to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!