No-I am TOTALLY JOKING!!! I would never do that-promise.
But I did make a decision on whether to go private or stay public. I know people are
And it's not like it was even a safety issue. Just an embarrassment issue. And embarrassment isn't a good enough reason to send THIS blog into hiding. When I first started blogging I sat down with Ted and talked about what my purpose was. The thought that kept coming back to mine was consistency. I wanted to have a consistent life. I wanted to be the same person to my Catholic friends as I was to my non-Catholic friends. To my family as well as strangers. It's easy to defend the Church's position on birth control when I'm sitting in a room full of amazing Catholics all getting ready to pray the rosary. Not so easy surrounded by people you know are on the pill. I wanted something to FORCE me to be consistent. To preach the Gospel even when it was hard, inconvenient, or scary.
When I started this blog I had no idea that other Catholic infertiles were out there. I mostly started it because I wanted to share our IF journey with our family and friends without having to tell every single person. Because of that, I sent the link out to virtually everyone I know. Catholic and non-Catholic alike. Then I discovered the amazing world of Catholic bloggers and was blown away. I quickly identified with them and began writing to them as my primary audience (hey-they were the only ones that commented! thanks girls!) It's like I forgot that other people were still reading. People that disagreed with me. People that didn't like me. People that even made fun of me because of my beliefs.
So what did I do when faced with embarrassment because of the truths I've written on this blog?? I ran away. I reacted in typical hasty fashion and almost went private to avoid any embarrassment from ever happening again. My first true blogging test of faith-epic failure.
But I'm dusting myself off and picking myself back up. I'm NOT going private. My thoughts are here for anyone to read. Make fun of me if you will. Laugh at me with your friends. My thoughts and feelings are rooted in the biblical truth of Christ's gospel and that is NOTHING to be ashamed of!
I admit that finding out how many people were actually reading (from comments and private emails) was astounding. I figured there were one or two lurkers out there-but wow! And some of the comments just pushed me over the edge for staying public. And while these comments weren't good for fostering humility, they did make me grateful that I've helped people with my journey. Whether I'm just a Catholic person for someone to identify with who doesn't know a lot of other Catholics or someone who can offer hope to the couple struggling to have a baby-being able to help others from the comfort of my own living room by simply sharing my story is one of the greatest blessings of my life.
So thank you. Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting. And thank you for praying. (Because wow-I learned how many of your are praying!!). Thanks for sharing along in my journey to truly become more like our Blessed Mother.
You got me. I was thinking, "WHAT???" followed quickly by "WHAT A GREAT IDEA!" :)
ReplyDeleteMy story in starting my blog is similar. I started it to share our travel adventures and sent the link to everyone. When our last adoption fell through in May, I was stunned how many people wrote to me privately. It definitely made me do a double-take on what information I put forth. But I love your word: Consistency. Amen to it being easy to laugh at b.c. in a room of faithful Catholics.
I completely understand your heart in this post- and I think you're wise and adorable! So glad you're out there!
Glad you are staying public, I totally think you made the right call in your situation. I can't imagine how difficult that process must've been though, as I only shared my blog with IF friends IRL. And even though I am a public person, it suits my purposes that way. And have no idea how I personally would have reacted, so no judgment here!
ReplyDeleteI'm like you K. My blog is totally public with my family, friends, and church community and I forget that they are reading because the other Catholic IF bloggers are the commenters! So many times I'll write a post with the bloggers in mind and then remember, embarassingly, that people I KNOW are reading it! Like my most recent post, for instance! And not everyone agrees with our faith beliefs, even Catholics! But you are totally right. We are who we are and we should be honest through and through. It's a great tool to evangelize. Great decision! I'm so glad I've "met" you :)
ReplyDeleteKaitlin, you are awesome! Unapologetic and wonderful! :) It's funny because I started my Heart of Monica blog, and I was really excited to have no family reading it unlike my family blog that I sent out to everyone I know. Then literally at the end of day 1, I notice that my grandmother found it on my profile and started following me! I love my grandma, and I love that she wants to read my thoughts, but I really wanted my blog under my family radar. After a day of considering deleting the blog and remaking it under a new blogger account, I had a very similar epiphany as you. I am not going to apologize for speaking the truth plain and simple. I'm glad you're staying public! Your blog is worth it!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you came to a decision you are at peace about, and I particular appreciate your quest for authenticity. I am so glad that I will be able to come here and gather support and strength for my faith journey and hope to offer some of the same for you.
ReplyDeleteOk, good. It is kinda tricky to find out who is reading. I use Google Analytics so I know that while I might get 0-5 comments per post, I have around 100 hits a day. I have found out there cousins I barely know read my blog, people I don't really get along with do too.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm glad you're staying public b/c I have already referred friends to your blog who need to find someone to relate to. :)
Haha I'm with Lauren, I totally bought it at first. :-)
ReplyDeleteBut good for you!! I'm glad you are being completely yourself (and completely Catholic!) for anyone to see. But I know what you mean, it's easier when you know your audience is like-minded and tougher when you know they may not be.
This is kind of silly, but it makes me think of a Dr. Seuss quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter won't mind, and those who mind don't matter."
PS--I love Wicked too! And Phantom of the Opera, and so many others...but Les Mis is my favorite and it is coming to Omaha next spring!! I am SO going and couldn't be more excited!!
ReplyDeleteThat was in no way related to your post but after I saw your comment I had to tell you that.
Kaitlin, I'm impressed with your courage and honesty. There are a fair amount of people out there that I know in person that I would find very embarrassing if they read my blog. But the truth is, no one should be ashamed of being honest. All the people I can think of in that category are people I am not myself with in real life. The Emily they know is a carefully edited version that I show them to keep things smooth. That's not really right, but with extended family it seems often necessary to avoid a total mess. I am honest on my blog. I tell what i really think, and I am also totally in line with Catholic teaching, so in a pinch I have that to back me up (not that most people take it seriously though). If anyone finds it who doesn't like what I think, I guess they are the one with problems, not me. My MIL basically chased my husband and I off Facebook with her rudeness and pestering. We would not want her reading my blog for the same reason, and because we are careful to let her know very little about who we really are. If she found it, I know I'd be tempted to go private. But really, is a relationship based on false representations really worth having? If knowing the real me made her that mad, I'd say let it happen.
ReplyDeleteI don't even post a lot of my opinions about things on my blog just to avoid controversy because I don't like internet arguments. I think my stand on a lot of things is probably obvious. I admire you for talking about things that can be very controversial. You're a good example of someone standing up for our Faith.
You're in my prayers! It's a hard call to make.
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited that you are already at almost 11 weeks. In just a few days you'll be able to feel your baby move inside your womb. What a thrill for you and Ted!
You go girl! It's definitely hard to defend our beliefs sometimes in the real world.
ReplyDeleteAnd this is a great witness too! That you are taking a stand right now by keeping your blog public!
I just posted a notice on facebook that an article I wrote for catholic.org about IF was published: guess how I feel right now?? Terrified! :) But maybe it will give people a chance to take a look at issues they might not have otherwise considered! You never know how God is going to use you!! That's the most exciting part!
I'm so glad you decided to stay public! Angela is right, you never know how God is going to use you, and I believe we all found these blogs for a reason, a good reason!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are staying!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Good for you for staying public and more importantly staying consistent. What a great reminder for all of us. When it comes to some of these issues, I like to consider my blog as practice for discussing this with people in the real world. I'm not nearly brave enough to have these discussions, nor do the opportunities arise frequently. I try to keep in mind that there are all sorts of people reading that I am clueless about. Google Analytics is very interesting, because you can see how many hits you get each day from where... but if you are trying to stay humble, I would advise staying away from it. It can easily become something you obsess over, and it's not worth it!
ReplyDeleteAgain, glad you'll be sticking around!
Haha! I'm right there with Hebrews and Lauren! You had me there at the beginning.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy you have decided not to go private. Your honesty is what drew me to your blog in the first place. Thank you for sharing all of this. I too have been thinking about going private. Not so much because I've had issues with anyone in particular, but more because I'm worried about who might stumble across it. I have such a fear of being embarrassed. I love the way you decided to look at the issue. You are totally and completely right...we must be consistent. And sometimes there are going to be those along the way who don't agree with or like what we say. But that is just part of it. As long as we speak the truth that is all that matters!