Friday, May 6, 2011

Quick Takes (24) Questions for the Blogosphere


-1-
We make tacos and marinated chicken a lot with the seasoning packets from the grocery store. Every time I buy them I think, "there's gotta be a cheaper way to do this!" Does anyone have any good tips for making taco seasoning and flavorful marinades with stuff I can keep on hand?

-2-
How do you transition a kid out of the swaddle blanket? Is there some kind of sleep sack that completely contains their arms but isn't a swaddle out there that I'm not aware of? If not, there should be.

-3-
Is it normal to have constant back pain now that I'm a mom? Is pain from all the lifting and bending and squatting (and really, really crappy mattress) just part of the territory? Or should I see a chiropractor?

-4-
What are your weekend plans? We have NONE! Actually, all of May is completely open.

-5-
I can't remember my other questions. I'll probably remember all of the others ones I meant to ask as soon as I hit 'publish'.

-6-
Hannah will be three months old tomorrow! I cannot believe she's that old already. And yet, I can't really remember what it was like without her.

-7-
Because I know you want to see her...

15 comments:

  1. #1 http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-I/Detail.aspx (I find all of my recipes from allrecipes.com- I love that website!)

    #4 Isabel starts ballet class tomorrow! :) And Sunday after Mass we are grilling a brisket..Texas style!

    #6 I can't believe she's 3 months! And Ian turned 1 month yesterday! I can't believe that either!

    #7 She is so adorable! I think she likes the camera ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog is dangerous - your baby's cute face and Delicious rolls of baby fat are making me want another baby!!!
    Too cute! Love her little smile. I stared at that photo of her staring at herself for ages!!! :-)
    God Bless
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaitlin!

    Great Quick Takes! I wanted to answer #1 and #2.

    First, check out this recipe (by my most favorite Food Network foodie). She has an amazing and simple way to create the 'taco' flavor, without buying a packet...besides, this recipe is so good!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/beef-taco-salad-with-chunky-tomato-dressing-recipe/index.html

    Second, check out a Woombie. You can find them on Diapers.com, Amazon, etc. It contains their arms, but allows them to have some movement as well. I think its ingenious. It looks a little funny though, I will warn you. We bought one for our little guy this year! In fact, my son was born on the same day of your little one!

    God bless you! Your daughter is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I'm interested to see the taco seasoning recipes! :) we use packets too.

    As for swaddling, it is usually a slow transition for our kids. For the girls, we swaddled the old fashioned way with those gerber "waffle" blankets. Between 3 and 4 months, I start only swaddling one arm in, but I kept it tight around the rest of her whole body. This usually was easily done and didn't interfere with sleeping patterns since the morro reflex/arm twitch was gone at that point. (if Hannah is still doing that, I might wait a couple more weeks to unswaddle).

    So then we went to just swaddling under their arms for a tight body wrap with both arms free. Then after a couple weeks, we just stopped all together. :)

    If you are using a miracle blanket or other swaddle blanket, the first step in transitioning her might be switching to swaddling with a regular blanket. It's easy to do. We use the method in the book Happiest Baby on the Block.

    Hope that helps!! Enjoy your weekend! Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make my own taco seasoning but I don't really measure. :( It's really good though! I'm sure I'll make them next week and I'll pay more attention and email you the recipe.

    As far as marinades, I just google marinades whenever I want something different. Just be careful with letting anything with citrus sit for too long. It will start to cook your meat.

    I'm interested in the swaddle answers too. :)

    We have a graduation party today...1st Communion and a 2 birthday parties next weekend...a baby shower the following weekend...and it goes on and on through June. Not a free weekend for like 2 months. I'm looking forward to having no plans!

    She is so stinkin' adorable! I want to kiss those cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good gravy she's adorable!!!

    I've had really bad back pain since Dominic was born too. I'm not sure why but it's bad. I was thinking that it was some kind of weird permanent side effect of the epidural, but I think I'm just being dramatic! Anyway, I just started seeing a chiro and it's helping. Slowly but surely.

    As for swaddling, yikes. That was TOUGH to transition Dominic out of. Most babies don't have such I hard time I don't think. We discovered that he liked to suck on the edge that was right by his mouth, and once we figured that out we swaddled his legs and left the top open so he could move his arms and still suck on the edge! So weird. He's almost 8 months and he's still swaddled!!! But he loves it so it's ok. Good luck Kaitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, I love allrecipes.com too! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) I use the same recipe as Angela! I multiply the recipe (a lot) and leave it in a tupperware with other spices so I don't have to make it each time!

    2)WE just used a large blanket- actually the one you gave us!- for a while until she was too strong for it. Then a thicker blanket with one arm out... I don't know- it just gradually went away, I don't really know how! She just started sleeping on her tummy and that is SOOOO great.

    3) Hmmm...I don't have that pain. ?

    4) Farmer's Market's Opening weekend is today! And I'm goign to get a pedicure! :)

    6) NO WAY

    7) I want to jump through the screen and EAT HER UP. Seriously, Kaitlin, she is unbelievably beautiful. She is just stunning!!!! I'm dying to get our girls together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a mom, but I work at a daycare. When I first started working with infants and 1-2 year olds, yes, my lower back hurt!! I went to see my chiropractor (I was in a car accident years ago) and he told me that our bodies undergo a period of stress when they are adjusting to new activities or movements (like, picking up babies).
    So don't be worried. I would go to a chiropractor if it's affordable. It really helps, and only takes 15-20 minutes! I used to think they were a scam, but a good one is soo worth it!
    Love your blog, especially the name. Your love for your husband is an inspiration for me (I'm engaged). And your daughter is SO. CUTE. Seriously. I see a lot of babies. And yours is a 10/10 LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. For my taco seasoning I throw together:
    cumin
    chilli powder
    cinnamon
    red pepper
    salt
    paprika

    I might also add onion or garlic powder. I have no idea the sizes I just season to taste.


    My back hurts all the time. But I should probably see a chiropracter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. #2. We swaddled Isabella until 6 months. We tried the transition thing a couple of times by leaving her arms out at 4 months and 5 months, but she didn't sleep. At 6 months my pediatrition told me to go cold turkey, so that is what we did. She was strong enough to roll and sleep however she wanted at that point so I wasn't too stressed (although I did check on her MORE).
    I think it is all trial by fire. Each baby is different!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My lower back hurts too! Just like when I was pregnant! I'm seeing a chiro weekly and he akways stretches the muscles back there....

    I love homemade taco seasoning ;)- I love homemade anything!! ;)

    We cold turkey Hannah swaddling for the most part and she was fine ;). I didn't swaddle at naps and she did good so we stopped. ;)

    She is soo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. I second the all recipes advice. Experiment with it - some like it spicier, some like it with a little sweetness. As for marinades, one of my favorite things is the good seasons dressing mix. You see it at the store with it's little dressing jar attached. You put balsalmic vinegar, water & oil in the jar, shake it with their seasoning packet (Italian is the classic) and viola! Marinade, salad dressing, great on sandwiches... you don't even have to refrigerate it & it lasts for a long time.

    2. My kids kick out of swaddles at about 1 - 2 months old. (And I am talking tight, mongolian-style, stiff papoose swaddles!) We have sleep sacks that have arms (like jammies) and zip up like a sack.You can find them at babies r' us or on amazon, I'm sure. They're made by the original sleep sack company.

    3. YES. Your muscles are starting to re-attach & firm up. Be careful how you twist and bend and jerk the carseat in and out of the car. I am sure gentle pilates and core-strengthening workouts would help (but I am too lazy - also 3 months post-partum - to exercise yet!) I've had 3 kids and my back is definitely more sensitive than it used to be. I blame it on my babies, but I am getting older, too. ;)

    Happy 3 months to Hannah. I like looking at her pictures because she's the same age as my son (and she's pretty darn cute.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did I give you our fajita marinade recipe? If not, let me know and I will pass that along. It is yummy and most ingredients are ones that are kept on hand. Good for chicken or flank steak.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!