When Ted and I had our first Valentine's Day a year later, we decided not to celebrate. After all, we knew we loved each other. We said it all the time. And we spent lots of time together-going out to eat, taking walks around campus, attempting to play tennis. And he gave me little surprise gifts. And I made him blueberry muffins for no reason. And he gave me cards and wrote letters because "it was the first Tuesday of the week." And one night I got a call from him in the middle of the night telling me to go to the window of my eighth story dorm room. I drug myself out of bed to see that he had spelled out a life-sized I Love Katie in the freshly fallen snow.
Yes, we were romantic. And we didn't need an overly commercialized feast day of some obscure Saint to prompt us.
We dated for several more years, avoiding Valentine's Day each year. Sometimes there might have been a special dessert-but that was just more of an excuse to have sweets. When we got engaged, still no Valentine's Day. And as a married couple, the day meant nothing to us.
And even though we are still madly in love, in only a few short years of marriage and one little kiddo later-those long hand-in-hand walks, sweet notes, and just-because cards are getting fewer and farther between. I can't remember the last time I got a "first Tuesday of the week" gift, and I haven't made him a special dessert in ages. And since we're in Florida now-I doubt I'll be getting a romantic message in some freshly fallen snow any time soon.
So, I think I want to change my opinion on Valentine's Day.
(This is a big deal-I don't change my opinions often.)
Of course, I didn't tell HIM that I want to change my opinion-so I will be getting nothing. But that doesn't mean I can't make the day special for him. I have seven hours until he gets home from work-I better get started!
But first thing's first-hacking into his email again so he doesn't know it's coming. :)
Happy Valentine's Day! And Saints Cyril and Methodius while we're at it.
We're not big Valentine's day celebrant's either, at least we weren't until he was confirmed on this date in 2008. Now it's a very special day to me. Here's a link to that story http://www.mommy-y.com/2012/02/valentines-day-isnt-commercial-around.html
ReplyDeleteCute! I like that you can change your mind...when it's a good change!
ReplyDeleteSweet. We don't do much to celebrate but there is a St. Valentine book that we read with the kids that is a favorite. I hope it's a special evening for you both! :)
ReplyDeleteWe learned about st valentine today. What am awesome story!
ReplyDeleteI used to feel the same as you, until M's first Valentine's Day. I bought her a little book from Target that told the story of St. Valentine. After reading his story, we now make special cards (the kids do anyway) and try to reinforce what St. Valentine did for the young people of Rome. But really, Dan and I don't do anything for each other.
ReplyDeleteI totally pegged you for a HUGE Valentine's Day celebrator...with how romantic you guys are!
ReplyDeleteYou surprised me!
My husband is anti-valentines day. We have been together for 14 Valentine's Day and I have not gotten anything nor have we celebrate until LAST year. For some reason, as soon as I became a mother, my husband got all romantic on me! He gave me chocolates and a card last year and this year he did the same, but added letting us get take out for dinner! I am getting spoiled!
Julie! 14 years is quite the wait!!
ReplyDeleteLove the stories of you two dating! Also love how you changed your opinion. Makes sense to me!
ReplyDelete