Friday, February 17, 2012

Quick Takes (33)



-1-
My parents are on their way to Florida as I type! Grandma and Grandpa couldn't stay away from their only grandbaby for too long and are making the 13 hour drive to spend the weekend us. Lots of possibilities for the weekend: the beach, a boat ride to see manatees, window shopping, skeet shooting. It will most definitely be too short.

-2-
Leila posted an interesting though in her Quick Takes today. People that are for contraception and support Planned Parenthood always seem to be saying this is about "equal rights for women". But if women need to take a pill or have a surgery to render their bodies "equal" to a man's-it's like we're saying that we are a lesser species. I would argue that we are the crown of God's creation. We have the privilege (note-I did not say right) to carry, bear, and nourish another human being. We are the bearers and nurturers of life! Anyone who feels that we need contraception and abortion in order to be equal to men is very, very mistaken. And confused.

-3-
Am I the only mom who allows their toddler to chew on sticks because at least it means they're not swallowing acorns??

-4-
Speaking of toddlers, I'm pretty sure Hannah found out that she is one now. And it's the most fun I've ever had. She's doing all sorts of "toddler" things-pointing to her mouth and hair, making the sign for monkey, laughing at everything, doing the adorable little toddler-squat while she plays with her toys, clapping and giving high fives, throwing her food on the floor, pretending to sleep when we see someone sleeping in a book, dancing when she hears music, putting together puzzles, and I could go on. She is so. much. fun.

-5-
But you know what's not. so. much. fun? Discipline. How is that I am already having to discipline my sweet baby girl? Whew-it came up so fast. But dangit she knows she's not supposed to play in the trash can! She also knows that she can sometimes get us to crack by smiling as big as she can, scrunching up her nose, and laughing. I'm pretty tough when it comes to discipline, but man I'm gonna have to get tougher!

-6-
We've been in Florida just over a month and have already met so many wonderful people. We've been invited into homes for dinner and fellowship and it's made our adjustment so much easier. Tonight, a young, Catholic couple with a little boy about Hannah's age is having us over for dinner, along with a few other couples our age. We haven't even met them yet-they just heard about us and gave us a call. People are crazy nice. And I'm crazy grateful.

-7-
I've been doing some great things with our family's nutrition since I've stopped working. I've got a post (or several) swirling in my head about it, but for now I'll just tell you that I'm super proud of what's sitting in my fridge right now. Want a hint? It's white, semi-solid, smells amazing, and was "rendered" by me :)

Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Mary-Grace is doing toddler things too. I love it because it's so much fun but I miss my little baby. Throwing food on the floor...yeah...she's really good at that. :) I bet Mary-Grace and Hannah are going to have so much fun when you're down! I keep telling my Hannah she can't come when your sister is in town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun meeting you last night, Kaitlin! Loving your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So.. Daisy was chewing on a stick last night and Doug asked me to grab it from her... I said, "At least it is not an acorn!" The things we learn from blogs! I would have never even thought of that before. Bahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're being welcomed in by the Floridians. :) I'm interested to hear about #7...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quick takes always make me smile! :) So much fun with toddlers! Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!