Friday, May 4, 2012

Quick Takes


-1-
Ted and I have decided to try to set up some sort of routine to our evenings to make sure we're spending quality time together. It seems our to-do list are so very long that we end up just working all night until we're exhausted and fall into bed. Not to mention this is the fourth week in a row he's been working 10-12 hour days. It doesn't leave a wholelotta time to just hang.

So we're going to try to do an "every other night" approach. Every other night we can work as much as we want and do all the stuff that needs to get done. Then on the off nights-no work. We can watch a movie, read, relax, make fun desserts, whatever we want. But no work.

So far so good! Does anyone else have some sort of schedule/routine to make sure quality husband time actually happens


-2-
I'm compiling a dairy bucket list. No-Hannah has not weaned and no-she can't tolerate dairy yet. I'm just torturing myself. It's been over a year now so my list is pretty extensive.  Here it is so far:

-giant glass of so-cold-it's-almost-frozen whole milk. hopefully raw. in a chilled glass. with oreos.
-butterfinger blast from Sonic
-oreo blast from Sonic
-cheese fries from Steak-n-Shake (cheese on the side) (and yes I know it's probably not even cheese)
-chicken queso burrito from Qdoba (the chicken has dairy in the seasoning and the queso is, well queso)
-mozzarella sticks from Sonic
-my homemade yogurt with honey
-a meal at a nice Italian restaurant with all the cream sauce I can handle
-pizza!!!!!!!
-butter on my pancakes
-butter on my homemade bread
-butter on anything really
-our favorite homemade bean burittos with cream cheese
-another glass of raw milk

I'll probably have to space that out over several weeks. I think I'd be sick if I ate that much fast food at once. What would you add to my dairy dreams?


-3-
I've finally joined the rest of the world and watched the first season of Downton Abbey. Soooo good. I wish we spoke like that. I've always been enamored with historical fiction, especially the early 1900's. Of course, I always picture myself as a part of the rich class, never as a servant. Might not be so fun then. I talk to Hannah with a British accent now-it makes me feel fancy.

I love the costumes, the set, the characters, the dialogue, the many plots, and the way that bad is portrayed as bad and morals upheld as good. So refreshing.

I signed up for a Netflix and got a free month trial. I just have to cancel before the month is out and I pay nothing! But now, for the most important question of these quick takes: how do I watch Season 2 for free????


-4-
I also read the first book of the Hunger Games. It was good. But I was disappointed. {Spoiler Alert} I really thought Katnis was going to take the moral high ground and refuse to kill anyone just because the government told her to. I guess I was expecting too much out of a secular novel. I know so many people who just loved it-but I couldn't get past some of the crassness of it all. Especially the end when Cato died. And it seemed to justify bad behavior as long as the end results was good. I'm not a fan of that. I don't hav a lot of desire to see the movie either-I just don't know that I want to watch death like that. Those of you who loved it-what do you make of all this? Anyone else agree with me that it's a bit of a let-down?


-5-
Watch this. You will cry.
Did you cry?


-6-
Summer olympics will always remind me of our honeymoon. Michael Phelps was in the middle of his big run for 8 gold medals the entire week we were at the lake. We watched him win another one every evening while we ate ice cream. Good times.

-7-
Have you entered my giveaway yet?? Why not? All you have to do is the watch the video and comment! Go enter!


19 comments:

  1. Ice cream for breakfast? That alone makes a great honeymoon ;).

    We are newlyweds but already having trouble finding quality time together because we sometimes work opposite work schedules. We are sort of doing what you are doing- having some nights where we get a ton of stuff done but have a planned time to do nothing. We are both off this evening and all day tomorrow, so tonight will be tidy up/budget/get chores done and tomorrow we are going to totally veg out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. No, but we so need to do this. Lately it seems like after a few days I realize that we've been so busy that we haven't spoken to each other much other than to see who's going to give the girls a bath, who's going to clean the kitchen, etc. etc. I love the every other day idea!

    2. I would want cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory! Or chocolate cake with chocolate fudge frosting from Publix.

    4. Yes, I cried!

    7. I didn't enter because right after you left K went ahead and bought her CDs on itunes. :)

    P.S. I FINALLY got Hannah's birth story up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watched both seasons of Downton Abbey by borrowing the DVDs from our public library. That might be an option for you. Just be sure to return it on time, or it won't be free anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm.. I thought Katniss did all of her killings in self-defense. There was arrow shooting of the guy that was killed Rue and was going to kill her and the tracker jacker bees. I'm with you on the secular "mercy-killling" and "suicide" not being cool. But I didn't see Katniss as a blood thirsty killer.

    I think in the novel Peeta is the more moral character, and that's sort of the appeal. Katniss is a loveable, but highly flawed character. She hasn't really thought much through of mortal/ethical decisions. She's more of in "survival mode" for herself and her family, but she grows more aware during the course of the three novels.

    I thought the first book was easily the best, so if you were disappointed don't keep reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Karen said - CHEESECAKE!!! :)
    And maybe grilled cheese and tomato soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss Steak n Shake fries. Thanks for bringing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #6
    So funny that you were just getting married when Michael Phelps was on a roll :) At that same time, we were in Omaha for my first surgery with Dr. Hilgers! We were there during the qualifying rounds for the Olympics and Michael Phelps was in town at the same time! It was a big deal for Omaha and we met lots of fantastic swimmers but none of them were Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  8. #6
    So funny that you were just getting married when Michael Phelps was on a roll :) At that same time, we were in Omaha for my first surgery with Dr. Hilgers! We were there during the qualifying rounds for the Olympics and Michael Phelps was in town at the same time! It was a big deal for Omaha and we met lots of fantastic swimmers but none of them were Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to go dairy free (for same reasons) and it was super hard until I found some great alternatives. We now drink soy milk and use this with all ingredients, Almond Chocolate Milk is delicious, Smart Balance butter is good, coconut oil is a great butter substitue and soy ice cream is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Regarding the quality time, I've been checking out free movies from the library so we have a movie night once a week once our children are asleep. Another night we do "in-date" night where we cook a late dinner once the kids are asleep.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm I agree with the cheesecake and the grilled cheese and tomato soup ideas...

    I'll be interested to hear how the every other night idea works out- we're 6 weeks away from residency and then it will be 70 hour weeks for my husband too :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I forgot all about cheesecake! Mmmm!

    Abigail-destroying their food so they could starve and dropping the nest weren't killing in the purest sense, but they still died as a result. It's still wrong-that was my issue. Yes-Peetah is much more admirable.

    Trena-We avoid soy and smart balance for health concerns but we LOVE coconut oil. I use it at least 10 times a day. Love it. I also just discovered that my beloved almond milk has MSG (every brand in the store did too :( ) so I started making my own and it is SUPER easy!

    I love the idea of a late dinner once a week-great idea!

    Stacy-enjoy your vegging!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1 - my husband and I try to have a weekly meeting every Thursday night. We plan the week ahead, meals, chores, etc. We see what nights will be busier and what nights will be more relaxing. We don't do every other, but we do try to keep it relatively balanced. Last week a lot of co-workers were in town so we hosted one dinner and I went to dinner with them another night. The weekly meeting helps me feel organized and is also the time we read through the Sunday readings together.

    raw milk with oreos sounds delicious

    Downton Abbey rocks, I've only watched the first 7 episodes

    ReplyDelete
  14. #1) Quality time- we do 9-10. Kids to go bed around 7- J's taking a class on-line so needs a good hour and a half to two hours a night to work on it, so we sit down at 9!

    2) I found a good raw milk source and SO hoped Gianna would tolerate it. NOPE. It took several days to recoop. AND J was out of town. BLAH! I'd add chai tea!!!

    Dont' remember what number...5?) In response to your response to Abby, she didn't destroy their food source so they'd starve. She destroyed their food source that they were hoarding. Now they would have to forge and hunt like the rest of them! The tracker bees? Well, that was her only way to create a diversion to save her own life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. It's wonderful that you two are making time for yourselves. Having a child or children is the icing on the cake of married life, but you have to remember that the cake itself is vital and what ultimately holds the family together. ~ I just made that up :)

    2. How about home made ice cream (with whole milk and Eagle Brand Sweetner). Always a summer favorite!

    3. I've watched a few episodes of Downtown Abby on their Masterpiece Theater website (for free). I'm not sure if they go back to the beginning of Season 2, so if they don't you might be out of luck. I like the idea of getting them from the library, but I wouldn't get every episode at once. You will get nothing else done.

    4. I also like the first Hunger Games book better than the other two. The third one just disturbed me. I agree that Katniss was in survival mode, and you have to remember that she was from a VERY disfunctional family, where her father was killed and her mother went into some kind of shock. She was way too young to have to care for her family the way she did, and it was obvious that she didn't understand her own feelings and emotions and just survived by gut instinct.

    5 ...and yes, the video made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, Downton Abby is amazing! I watched season 2 on the pbs website when it was up. Not sure where to watch it now...

    I had goosebumps through that entire video. beautiful.

    And I LOVE the idea of alternating nights. Jim works long days too (12+ hours most days) and when he gets home there's always so much to do that I feel like we never get to spend quality time together. I think I'll give your idea a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. #1- quality time...my husband just asked me a few weeks ago if we could talk for 30 minutes (no electronics during that time) every night after the kids go to bed. It is great. We used to just sit and watch Netflix for an hour or so, but this was not helping our communication and thus hurting our marriage. We are doing better now that we talk more!

    #5 - yes I cried! Can't wait for London 2012

    ReplyDelete
  18. I CANT WAIT TO EAT PIZZA AND ICE CREEEEAAAMMMM!!!

    heh. :)

    btw, I did find some coconut milk ice cream that is delicious. (funny, it's made by the brand "So Delicious")...but one of the flavors has soy in it (cookie dough ;() -- I can have mint chocolate chip :) :) :) It's goooood!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!