I may be a Florida newbie, but I think I've already figured out how to survive my first tropical storm. It hasn't stopped raining in two days and there's no end in sight. But here are my tips for surviving Debby.
Don't bother changing out of your pajamas for the entire day. You aren't going anywhere and no one is going to come see you.
Do take advantage of the fact that there wasn't any lightning and fill up the bathtub for use as a pool. Get in with your toddler and splash wildly.
Don't bother doing laundry in your outdoor laundry room. (I wish I could have taken this advice, but dangit I needed clean underwear.)
Do hide behind the recliner any time your toddler starts playing on her own so as to not interrupt the fleeting moment of peace and calm.
Don't freak out when the electricity flickers.
Do blow bubbles. Lots of lots of bubbles.
Don't bother taking your carload full of stuff out to your new place. Even though you have to be out of your house by Saturday.
Do chase your toddler around the table. Over and over and over again.
Don't give up on discipline when that same toddler tries to climb onto the table for the fiftieth time in an hour.
Do mentally write your blog post in your head to keep from going insane talking to someone who never talks back.
Don't stick to your no-tv rule. Turn that thing on. Leave it on all day.
Do sit at the window watching and listening to the rain.
And do take advantage of the endless entertainment a camera with a self timer has to offer.
LOVE IT! Sounds like what we've been doing for the past few days. It's been raining non stop here since Thursday.
ReplyDeleteOne more tip...stock up on beer...and snacks. Should you lose power but it not be a hurricane that requires you to board up your windows or evacuate its fun to park some chairs in front of a window or sliding doors and watch te storm. It can be romantic too. :)
Hannah looks so much older in that 2nd photo, and I'm loving her pjs. So cute!
ReplyDeleteI love that you're making the best of the situation. That's you! :)
Sounds like a good list! Now if you could just send some of that rain our way to deal with some wildfires, I'd appreciate it ! :)
ReplyDeleteOther than having to go out to go to work, we're cooped up in the house trying to stay dry.
ReplyDeleteJacksonville is getting WET!! Luckily we don't have any flooding!
Welcome to Florida! :)
Oh man! She looks JUST LIKE YOU!! So cute!
ReplyDeleteLove the pics - and I ditto Catholic Mutt's comment - please send some rain this way!
ReplyDeleteYou have to be out by SATURDAY????? OH NO! Debbie- go home!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove the self-timer! Great idea!
Haha on the blog posts comment. SOOOOOO true!
What a cute post! I just wrote a similar one about entertaining two children in a hotel room (phone, flushing the toilet, bouncy balls) lol. Love the self timer idea!
ReplyDelete