Thursday, October 25, 2012

God Provides

Shortly after we moved to Florida, we were offered a free place to live. It felt like God was giving us the way out-the light at the end of the tunnel. We would actually be able to afford for me to stay home and live in  Florida with all the crazy high cost of living. Well, we all know how that turned out....

When we found out that the house was no longer available-after months and months of planning, preparing, working, cleaning-we were pretty devastated. How would we make our new situation work? Where would we live? Would I be able to continue to stay home?

When I quit my job last December to move to Florida with Ted, I had mixed emotions. I was super, super, super excited to get to stay home with Hannah but sad to be leaving such a great job. It was a really, really great job. Flexible hours, home by early afternoon, doing what I loved with people I loved being with. And I actually got paid pretty dang good for only working nine months of the year. Hannah was safe at home with Ted and all was good. I knew the possibility of finding a job like that again in this lifetime were slim to none. It was hard to walk away-but I was excited for what I was walking into.

After the moldy, homeless summer-it just didn't seem like things were going to fall in place.

But if I learned anything from being "homeless" for 10 weeks, I learned that God provides. We always had a place to stay-always. Sometimes we didn't know where we would live at the end of the week, but we would get a text from a friend offering their place for the exact day that we had to move out of our current one. God's hand was in it the entire time.

So on the very same day that we found out the house was no longer available for us to live in, it didn't even surprise me that I got a potential job offer for a job I didn't even apply for. I took an at-home job as the nursery coordinator at our new parish. It just fell in my lap! Not even a week later, I got a call from a friend asking if I would consider becoming her son's speech therapist. She offered to watch Hannah while I worked with him so I wouldn't have to find childcare.  It really couldn't have been more perfect or come at a better time.

The blessings have been tremendous. I spend a decent amount of time working on nursery stuff in the evenings, but the money I get from it is keeping us afloat. And combined with the income I'll be making from working with just one client-I'm actually making about the same amount of money each month that we would have saved if we had lived in the free house!

All of my fears about Hannah have been quelled-she LOVES spending time with my friend and her other children while I go to "work" just two half-hours a week. It gives her a built in play date in a loving, fun, holy home twice a week-something I had really been seeking out for her after our attempt at a Mother's Morning Out ended horribly. My friend gets discounted therapy for her son. I get to work with preschoolers again and do some of the things I love-like write reports! Blessings all around.

So we don't have free rent-we write a monthly check just like everyone else. And with the promise of free rent being dangled in front of us for so long, it still hurts a little. But the jobs I've been given-jobs that allow me to stay home with my girl and be a speech therapist-are an unforeseen blessing that's more than we ever expected.

The words of our wedding gospel echo in my mind all the time. “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? (Matthew 6:25-27)

We have no reason to worry. God has provided for us every step of the way, even if He sometimes makes us wait a few months to see the answer. We are so grateful. So blessed.

14 comments:

  1. That's wonderful how God comes up with plans to take care of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad God is providing for you!

    If you lived closer, you could have a new client here too. Isaiah is starting speech and occupational therapy starting next week...and of course Bella would have loved to have Hannah play here while you worked with him. So, if you ever move...keep Indiana in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy things are working out, they always do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was our wedding gospel too! We see the fruits of that passage ALL the time. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me happy to read this. I'm so glad things are on the up and up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know this is so great!

    I know it must hurt to not get the "Free rent", but that is not really how God works. He has a vision for our holy lay families. He doesn't want us "gaming the system." He wants us to be a light. You can't encourage other families to say yes to life if Ted has the "one in a billion" jobs that gives him free rent. That would be too easy for someone to dismiss as "oh, well it's easy for THEM to have more kids..."

    I'm so excited for you on this journey. I think choosing to stay out of a traditional "job"--however kind to your family needs--is so great--its a way for a very kind, beautiful heart to be more open to the needs of a community.

    My stay-at-home Mom title--doesn't mean I "stay inside my house wasting my grad degree", it means I'm more flexible to respond to God's will. I'm always amazed at the new opportunities He drops in my lap day after day.

    Enjoy your new employment journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TOTALLY understand your situation. I am amazed at how God has provided in the year and half we have been married. It truly is a miracle. We still barely make it each month, and we keep praying for more stability, but God has not abandoned us yet :) I need to remember to add more prayers of thanksgiving with my prayers of petition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What wonderful ways God has taken care of you! Thank you for sharing! I am so uplifted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually disagree Abby. Being open to life is hard for ANYONE, regardless of income. I know a Catholic family with 10 kids who literally have it all-the dad is a heart surgeon! They can afford everything-the hospital bills, new clothes every year, huge house, horses, 15 passenger van, unlimited groceries. But they are no less of a light to the world than we are. Sometimes God DOES give Catholic families free rent or a high paying job or whatever-it's not His gift for us right now though. And maybe it will never be.

    Just my two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad things are looking up! What is the saying about every baby comes with a loaf of bread under his arm? God is providing for that new little one already! Wish ya'll were still here so we could feed ya sometimes and help with Hannah. Next time ya'll are passing through, we'd love to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love this post and the wholeheartedly agree! It's incredible to look back at our years and reflect on the adventures that God has allowed us to experience and walk through. Just amazing.

    And that verse is on one of my favorites. Puts a lump in my throat every time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. K-that is awesome! Good for you!!!

    Praise God! :0

    ReplyDelete
  13. A really great reflection! We always say that if we had our own family crest, the inscription would read "God provides". Never the way we hope and expect? True. But always beyond all we can hope and imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was so beautiful! My situation is completely different (but similar) and it's nice to see how different families "make it work." God is so good and mighty. It is amazing to see how He works through every little detail of our lives.

    Blessing to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!