Ted and I have an annual tradition of taking a fishing trip every November. It started during our first fall in Mississippi when Ted surprised with a weekend getaway to relieve some of our infertility stress. The following year we sought out another lake and had an absolutely wonderful time just a few months before becoming parents. And the year after that.......we didn't go. Our "annual tradition" failed after only two years. But a sweet little nine month old that wasn't yet on solids didn't allow for the weekend away that we had come to love. Fast forward to this year-it wasn't a whole weekend. It wasn't even a whole day. But some friends of offered watched Hannah for the afternoon while Ted and I took the boat to a nearby lake.
The last time we had been on the boat alone together-November 2010! The last time we sat on the water and watched the sunset-November 2010. The last time I sat and read a mind numbing book while he fished-yep, November 2010.
Needless to say, this afternoon getaway was just what we needed. And although the pictures we took weren't nearly as good as they had been in years past-we documented this rare events and made the most of the few hours of peace we were given.
I sat in our little boat on a lake down the road and was just as happy as I would have been sitting in a yacht off some Caribbean island.
The fishing was pretty bad, but Ted never complains. He also didn't complain that he had to hold my awkward, pregnant self over the edge of the boat so I could pee three times in as many hours (not counting the two times I went at the boat ramp.)
I read some Nicholas Sparks book that held me at rapt attention but now I'm not even going to finish. I felt the little baby kick inside me-extra squirmy due to the fact that I was actually sitting for more than five minutes-and thought things like "I have the best life in the world." and "I wish I could always be pregnant-I don't want a day to go by without a little baby kicking inside of me" and "Man he's sexy when he's fishing."
And although the sunset wasn't the blazing orange we were hoping for, it was still beautiful. And the eagle that kept flying overhead was definitely cool. As was the alligator that came out of hiding right after we left its cove.
So much to be grateful for. Our life might not be conducive to weekend getaways at this stage (or any stage in the near future...) but that only makes little afternoon trips like this that much sweeter.
You are too cute! Glad you had fun.
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet post!! Except the gator part. I have a gator and shark phobia...not so good for FL!
ReplyDeleteI totally was picturing this huge luxury boat from the description of how fun and relaxing it was...and then that last picture shows a tiny fishing boat. Goes to show you it is who you are with...not what you are doing!!
Love this!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat first photo's background looks like a professional background in a photo studio. Absolutely beautiful!
ReplyDeletesee, the problem with google reader is that I don't get to see new headers... your belly pic is adorable.. and that Hannah! Oh my she is adorable!!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Kaitlin!
you look great! and I too wish I could always be pregnant... such a precious season.
ReplyDelete