Friday, June 21, 2013

Quick Takes

-1-
I am the smartest woman alive. My extreme love of sleep has led me to discover a method of nighttime diapering that doesn't cost a fortune and lasts for 13 hours. I nurse Paul when I put him to bed, then again when I go to bed, then (usually) once during the middle of the night. And the kid is a peer. As in, one who pees. Not a person who is the same age. He soaks through the cloth in just a few minutes sometimes. And the disposables weren't making the cut either. I don't mind semi-waking up to nurse but I really mind completely waking up to change a diaper of a screaming baby.

That's where my smarts come in. One regular and one hemp diaper insert.....inside Hannah's size 4 diapers. He soaks through the first insert, then the second, then saturates the disposable. The whole thing weighs several pounds in the morning but I don't have to change a diaper in the middle of the night! He doesn't mind. The sheets stay dry. It's just the best.

-2-
Thanks to this new diaper invention, both kiddos now sleep in size 4 diapers. Hannah's only in them for naps and nighttime and it's usually dry after naps. If it is, I just leave it on the floor and put it back on for bedtime. The other day one of her used but dry diapers made its way into Paul's room. So I used it for his nighttime diaper. When I was putting it on I thought, "How cute, they're already sharing....."

If you think that's gross, you probably don't want to be my friend. That's not even the half of the level of gross I'm perfectly comfortable with.

-3-
I mentioned last week that I was sore head to toe after just two workouts with Jillian . I've managed to keep it up about every other day and, to my incredibly great surprise, am no longer sore. Or even very winded from it. I've only done the workout a total of 5 or 6 times and I can already tell that I'm in better shape. I had no idea my body (or any human body really) was capable of improvement that quickly. I might actually move to Level 2 at some point in this exercise experience.

-4-
I'm cheating and writing these Thursday night. Ted is watching the last game of the NBA Finals. I think San Antonio is going to win but I'm rooting for the heat. But really, I don't care at all.

-5-
My current mission in life is to make all of our dinners without turing on the oven. It is so, so, so hot. Even if I crank the air down, the stove and oven heat the kitchen up so badly that I'm getting light headed and weak (partly the fault of the giant nursing baby). So far this week we've used the grill or crockpot every single day. And the crockpot must be in the garage. Inside is not an option. Pulled pork, grilled meatballs, hamburgers, barbecued chicken, and kabobs. All without making me sweat :)

-6-
I think we're close to making a decision on a new laptop. We are taking (likely) advantage of my sister's generous offer to give us her 2006 MacBook and paying to get it up to shape. It needs a new battery and power cord and the software needs to be updated. But other than that it runs great. I'm hoping it's a good choice, because it'll be way cheaper than getting a new laptop that has everything we want (namely, a built in webcam that Hannah can't yank off when we Skype with family). When we get it I'll finally be able to upload all my photos and videos. These crappy cellphone pics are getting old.

I only have two pictures from the cellphone this week. One of them is Hannah sitting on her little potty typing on her leaptop. Adorable. But only aunts and grandparents got the privilege of seeing that one.


This one was taken at 10:00 in the morning when I was sitting in the shade and sweating like LeBron James at the end of this basketball game. Several friends had us over for pool play dates this week and Hannah was loving it. I might even get to sign her up for swimming lessons with a friend and I can't wait.

-7-
In bloggy news, my favorite blogger just moved to Patheos. She's still writing for the National Catholic Register too. So much goodness, I don't even know if I'll be able to keep up!

Have a great weekend everyone! Join Jen for more quick takers.

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on solving your nighttime diaper problem.
    Good luck avoiding the stove (or cooking all together).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm convinced that there is NO way for some babies to stay dry all night, regardless of what is stuffed in their diapers! None of mine ever went completely leak-free until they were down to only one nursing session/night... But I haven't tried the cloth-inside-disposable route :P For me there comes a point where their diaper is larger than their body, and at that point I just make sure they're wearing a fleece soaker or fleece jammies and that controls most of the damage!

    And I love Simcha, but I'm annoyed that Patheos only allows for partial feeds on Google Reader (which I'm STILL using even though every time I open it they say, "Hey Remember, July 1 is the deadline!)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, did you ever solve the problem of Hannah taking off her diaper at night? I have heard several people suggest putting duct tape over the diaper tabs; apparently, that really does the trick and doesn't cause any extra trouble or discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was getting so out of control so we told her she would get a spanking (usually reserved only for hurting Paul intentionally). We had to spank her THREE times one evening and I was so upset about it. I felt horrible and said we weren't going to do it again. But she hasn't done it since! So I guess it worked!

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on not using the oven! This morning the weather guy on the radio said "High today of 91...in the shade." Thanks for the clarification, bud haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use a roaster oven during the summer - we just put it on a little table outside and it has been amazing! I am thinking we are going to get ourselves a hotplate this year so we can cook rice or other stuff outside too.

    As for the Simcha thing, I love her. And I get to have supper with her (and 20 other people) in September after the conference she's doing. I'm going to try really hard not to squeal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are SO on the same wavelength today!

    Just tried Jillian for the 1st time - thanks for the inspiration, btw! I'd been meaning to since starting to read Grace's blog in the fall and hadn't ever googled it. My kids did it with me (as only a 5 yo and 2 yo can do! Cans of beans and tunafish and playdoh canisters included) - and now I'm a bit shaky. But feeling good. I was glad for the head's up from you - I shortened a few phases when I started to get worn out. I think I could keep doing this a few times a week!

    Also trying to avoid the oven, til I can get time to CLEAN IT! I have never cleaned an oven. Terrible, right?!! Well, it's time. Ours started smoking like whoa the other day and I could tell some juiced had dripped and scorched on the bottom. So stove-top and cold dishes it is for us!

    And the gross-factor, hilarious. Love the ingenuity of the diaper. Moms have to be a little gross sometimes. Helps get the job done.

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess we can be friends because I do that gross thing with the diapers too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to #4. I always write them the night before.
    And YES to #5. Problem with us is we only have window units and no other space to cook. Must find a way to beat the HEAT....

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL about the diapers. I used to do that with my kids too...plus add the plastic diaper cover over it...

    the leaking stopped enough to just use a nigh time diaper after they stopped eating in the middle of the night...

    ReplyDelete
  10. #2...haha! It didn't even occur to me that someone might think that was gross. That's nowhere near my grossness threshold either. :) So I guess we can remain friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!