Friday, June 7, 2013

Sleepy Quick Takes

-1-
Since I mentioned Paul's sleeping habits exactly two weeks ago, it took a sudden and dramatic turn for the worse. He's a little better now (and still nowhere near as bad as Hannah as a baby) but am still kicking myself for ever mentioning it. Why did I test fate? Why?

-2-
And even though Paul's sleep isn't terrible, our evenings are still filled with frustration over a child that refuse to sleep. That would be the two year old I'm referring to. Why does my sweet girl who used to just play with her stuffed animals in her crib until she fell asleep suddenly take TWO HOURS to fall asleep every night? She won't stop taking off her pajamas and diaper (not night trained yet). She even magically figured out how to get out of the backwards footie pjs we used as a straight jacket for so many months.

It just sucks. This part of parenting sucks. Listening to her scream and yell because she refuses to just lay down and sleep. It ruins our evening. I don't want sleep to be a battle. I don't want her to cry every night because we refuse to give her an 80th drink of water. I don't want to keep changing her sheets because she gets naked and pees all over herself.

Blah.

-3-
Blueberry picking was awesome last week. I was so excited to snap some cute pictures before I realized I forgot to put the SD card in the camera. So low quality cellphone pictures to the rescue.

We mostly just hung out in the shade and watched
She was in blueberry heaven
Boo-bewies!
About two minutes in we realized Hannah was completely incapable of putting blueberries anywhere but her mouth. "Hannah, just eat one and put the rest in your mouth." All of them went into her mouth. "One in your mouth. Then one in the bucket." Two in her mouth. "Put that in the bucket. Do not eat it." It went into the bucket, only to be plucked out and eaten immediately. She could.not.do.it. It reminded me of a study I read once where they put marshmallows in front of kids and told them that if they could wait to eat them they would be given even more marshmallows in a few minutes. The kids who were able to wait were found to be more responsible adults with better self-control and a host of other good qualities. Hannah would fail the marshmallow test with sinking colors. We just gave up and paid a few extra bucks for the blueberries in her belly.

We picked a gallon and have been eating them all week. I made a pie that is divine and have to talk myself off the ledge of inhaling the entire thing when I'm home without Ted all day. And Ted picked blackberries off the wild bushes near his office today. I see another pie in our future.

-4-
We had to move Paul into his own room. I'm both elated and heartbroken. He outgrew the cradle that fit snuggly next to our bed (Hannah was in it until she was seven months old!) and the pack n play doesn't fit. So he's alllllll the way across the hall. It's too far. But I do love being able to turn the bedroom light on again and talk to my husband at a normal volume before falling asleep.

Sigh. He's already growing up too fast.

-5-
Four takes in and sleep is beating blueberries 3 to 1.

-6-
We still haven't bought a new laptop. Because it's a big decision and I'm lazy. But I have a ton of pictures that need to be uploaded and shared with the world (or just the grandparents) so I need to get my act together. Another cellphone pic to the rescue.

All my blankets are pink and purple and I like it like that.

-7-
I know I'm probably way behind, but I'm watching the 4th season of Parks and Rec on Netflix while Hannah naps. I can't for the life of me get their naps to coincide, so Paul and I hang out and watch TV and make faces at each other for an hour. My favorite character on the show is April because she reminds me so much of my youngest sister. She's moody and sarcastic and hates attention. My sister Haley is pretty much the blonde version of April. They even dress alike. A lot of people might be offended by being told that they are just like April, but when I told Haley she said something like, "That's the best compliment anyone could ever give me," in a nonchalant matter with just a hint of a smile. Just like April would have said it.



.......my children's sleeping habits just won today's quick takes with 4 points. In case you lost track.

Join Jen for more!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness..first of all, I think we posted our blogs at the exact same time. Because we're twins.

    Second of all, Noah is doing exactly what Hannah is doing...because they're twins too. I think/know it's a phase. Josh and I have been beside ourselves wondering how to take care of it, because it's only gotten worse. Tonight? I did what Supernanny has been suggesting all along and saying NOTHING (no emotion, no words, no eye contact) but continue to put him back to bed. Back to bed. Back to bed. Back to bed. Change his diaper. Back to bed. Back to bed. You get the picture. It was enough to drive me insane, but by the 10th time, the kid stayed in his room with no tears from him or I.

    I'm trying it tomorrow and praying for patience, praying for patience, praying for patience....

    God bless you! Sleeping "stuff" is hard. But...it will work itself out. They won't be 10years old and not sleeping through the night! ;) right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3 reminds me of Blueberries for Sal! I love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Parks and Rec! April always cracks me up. I love that ever so occasionally she shows her super sweet side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain about the sleep stuff. It's frustrating how things can be going so well and then there's a backsliding. I hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was totally thinking of blueberries for sal, too! We went strawberry picking today and I was astonished that the kids did not eat ANY (we talked and talked the whole way there about how they don't get to eat any until we take them home)!!! But they also picked *maybe* 10 strawberries combined, and all of John Paul's were orange. Fail! I saw a bunch of larger families with enormous strawberry yields, so I'm looking forward to having older kids that we can put to work :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm fresh blueberries! Btw, I am pretty sure that marshmallow study was done on older kids, haha. Like maybe 5 year olds? At least in my mind. 2-year-olds get a free pass. And I was just reading another blog about a 2-year-old whose sleeping habits suddenly took a nose dive. Maybe I should mark my calendar for N.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to go berry picking ASAP. And I'm going to have to remember to write myself little motivation notes for when my baby is 2 and not sleeping. Goodness knows I'll need them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say is duct tape around the whole top of the diaper like a belt.

    Then turn the monitor off and the TV up.

    And know that I am not running for parent of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and my 3 year old is up AGAIN...so much for blogging

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES on Blueberries for Sal! You should totally get that book to read to Hannah. I'm sure the library has it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!