And that's what really matters right? That I'm actually healthy and able to do some basic physical activities without getting winded? And that I feel comfortable in my clothes without having to wear control top underwear and sucking in for pictures? That kind of thing is fine for a while postpartum, but I'm over it. I'm tired of not having energy for my kids in the morning or my husband in the evenings. And I'm coming to the sad, sad, sad revelation that I'm actually going to have to work for it.
I have always eaten whatever I wanted and been very, very small. In high school I worked in an ice cream shop and ate my weight in ice cream. I also drank at least 50oz of Pepsi each shift. (Felt really great about that decision later in life when I found out excessive dairy and caffeine contribute to endometriosis and all my cramps.) I never had to give a second thought to what I put into my body. I was a size 0 and had a beautifully flat tummy with defined abs from cheerleading. (No, it is not a sport. But it did give me a six pack.)
And I know that a postpartum mother of two isn't supposed to have that body anymore. I don't even want that body. I don't want to look like my 16 year old self, but I do want to look better than I do right now. And, more importantly, feel better than I do right now. But I really hate working out. And sweating. And doing anything that requires self discipline, of which I have very little. But reading blogs about other women actually working out every day will make you feel pretty dang lazy for sitting on your butt and complaining about your pouchy tummy. I've read numerous accounts of Grace and Ana and Hannah sweating their butts off to Jillian Michaels and living to tell the tail. But it wasn't until I read Jen's account that I decided I need to suck it up and start working out. I mean, if a work-at-home, homeschooling, mother of six can do this, surely surely I can find the time.
I went with Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred
So while the kids were both napping today (woot!) I turned it on and sweated my butt off. I did Level 1 and forced myself to do all of it when I really really wanted to quit halfway through. In complete honesty, I was sweaty and out of breath during the warm up before she even said "Let's get started". I made it through though. It was hard. And my legs still feel like jello eight hours later. I was honestly worried about picking Paul up out of his crib because my arms were so wiggly when I finished. And I didn't even use weights! (any idea what I can use in my house for weights so I can avoid buying some? Don't say cans. There is no way in heck.) Thankfully, he slept long enough for most of it to wear off. When Hannah woke up we made a smoothie. That just seemed like the type of thing someone who works out would do. And I'm doing to do it again tomorrow. Dangit. I really hope I can stick to this.
And while we're on the subject of working out: I can't do a sit-up. At all. Ever. I physically cannot make my body do it and can't make my brain tell the muscles to move. I've never been able to do them. In a physical education class in college we had to pair up and count how many sit-ups we could in one minute. I did zero. I spent the entire minute trying to figure it out. And this was when I was in shape! I bring this up to ask anyone reading this blog, Can you do a sit-up?? If the answer is "heck no!" and it's not because you're pregnant, please comment and tell me that I'm not alone! Thanks in advance for helping me settle a long term argument with Ted about being the only person in the world that can't do a sit-up. I think it has something to do with my long torso and weird back curve, but he says I'm full of crap.
And please know that I am NOT seeking affirmation to make myself feel better or wanting anyone to say that I don't need to work out because I already look fine. I really do suck it in for every picture and am too vain to post anything that's remotely true to life. Embarrassing, but true. I also want to note that I'm not obsessive about this nor do I lack perspective about what a healthy body should look like. I'm fine, really. I'm just sick of not being in shape.
And (#3) this post contains an affiliate link. Because I decided to stop caring if anyone thinks I sold out and just take whatever free pennies come my way. Go buy the DVD through my link and help me get rich beyond my wildest imagination.
I thought about jumping in on the Jillian bandwagon also after reading Jen's post. The weak area for my body is my arms. The other day I bought 2 lb weights. Even the 3 lb weights were overwhelming for me. I used to joke with my students that the dry erase markers made my arms sore. Sometimes, drying my hair seems like a workout. There you have it--I can do a sit-up, but my arms are as good as jello.
ReplyDeleteMy work-out today? Going outside for literally 10 minutes to walk up and down our street. No extreme measures, but getting outside felt great!
I'm in the same boat--while my weight is still well within the healthy range I am still 20 lbs over what I was pre-pregnancy, and I am now almost 5 months postpartum. I really REALLY don't want to buy new clothes! So I am exercising a lot because I don't want to diet. Sweating in the living room on a daily basis won out as the lesser of the two evils, but only by a narrow margin.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Thanks Eva! You too!
DeleteDoes it count that I have no idea how to do a push-up? Your description is spot-on!
ReplyDeleteWe have very similar body types and metabolisms. I feel like I am always having to explain that size 0 does not = a healthy person who feels great. I think it's awesome you are kicking it into gear! Go you! Also, I hate sit=ups. I can barely do them. They kiiiiillll my lower back. I CAN do crunches though. But sit-ups feel super unnatural and unhealthy to me.
ReplyDeleteI will say, don't forget that it took 9 months for your body to get that way, so it's very normal for it to take 9 months - or even a year - to get back, especially after #2. I am not trying to discourage you from working out though... that is awesome and has so many benefits!!
Sarah, yes! It's such a fine line between giving yourself a break and pushing yourself!
DeleteI totally get you- but I"m not willing to work out yet!!! I'm still okay with how I look and feel. And I'm going to milk that as long as possible! I can do sit-ups but not a pull up to save my life!
ReplyDeleteGO FOR IT!
Lauren-I couldn't do a pull up either. Not way in heck.
DeleteI feel so much better when I can feel my muscles in my body and just feel capable when I know I can accomplish basic tasks of protecting my family if I need to. So I totally get that and I hope you grow to love how capable working out makes you feel! I'm doing insanity now and I hate it but I love it so, yeah. However, I will day that I was always tall and lean before having Sam, and although I'm actually lighter now than I was prepregnancy, my clothes do not fit the same. My style was so so so tight and my shirts just don't fit the same, so I had to get rid of a lot of clothes. And thats OK! Because tight is immodest anyway, right? Ha. Kidding about that last part, but hoping you're able to find a good balance between realizing what is you and what really is your clothes, because I'm sure its probably both!
ReplyDeletealison - oh good, I am not alone! My old shirts are soooo tight too. And I am back down to the same size, yet the shirts are super tight. What was I thinking when I bought them?
DeleteAlison, I am the exact same way! After Hannah I got down to 10 pounds LESS than I was before I got pregnant. I was under 100 and dropped pants sizes. I had to go buy SMALLER jeans. But none of my shirts fit and everything was too tight around my tummy. Weird. Those babies change every square inch of your body!
DeleteI seriously feel like I could have written this exact post... One of these days I'll suck it up and start exercising, buuuuut I don't want to? I use the kids as an excuse, but I know one of these days the babies will let me put them down and I'll have no more excuses!
ReplyDeleteAlso I've been debating adding affiliate links for a while but I think I'm going to have to - the babies are going to outgrow their car seats soon and it's going to cost more than $500 to get new ones that will actually fit in our car - time to try to start raising funds!
I haven't really yexercised regularly since kids. Gosh, I waited 31years to say that I was too busy to exercise! I am not going to blow my story now!
ReplyDeleteI can probably do one sit up, but like Lauren, not a single pull up...not even jumping up!! Lol
And I can't remove the y from yexercise either..no matter what I do
Instant Video! Why didn't I think of that?!?! I was just thinking in the shower yesterday morning that as much as I despise Jillian Michaels, I have been so intrigued by her 30 day shred that I just have to do it. Then I said, nope, too expensive. But instant video?!? Genius. So sorry, not sorry, but I will be using your affiliate link to buy something that costs $1.99. Hopefully you get a penny! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome Kate! Thank you!
DeleteI thought I could help you out on the not being able to do a sit up thing, but then I tried it and I can do about three (which is surprising to me!) Anyway, I definitely know what you are saying about the difference between being a certain size and being a certain fitness level. I'm currently in my "happy place" weight range, but that only matters if I also feel like I'm at the fitness level I like. I've been at higher weights but still happy if I'm fit. If I weighed this amount but was not at a certain level of fitness, it wouldn't be okay. Good luck with JM, she's a tough one!
ReplyDeleteDang. Three is 300% better than me :)
DeleteGood for you! Working out isnt just about losing weight. It's good for you! I've been workin out at the gym like a mad woman since February. I haven't lost a dang pound. In fact, I gained 5 pounds which I'm being told is perfectly normal because muscle weighs more than fat...blah blah blah. Anyway, despite the scale not making me so happy, I feel fantastic! I am obviously stronger and in much better shape! It feels great!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, I can do sit ups. Not a lot, but more than when I started back at the gym 4 months ago. Have you tried doing them with your arms above your head? You can wing your arms down to give you leverage. After doing that for awhile you may be strong enough to do it without your arms. Also, you can lie flat, make a triangle with your hands and stick them under your butt. The raise your legs strait up. That works yor lower abs. May be easier for you. And like Lauren, definitely can't do pull ups!
used your link and got it - gotta see why it is that everyone is so into it. I CAN do sit-ups now, but I couldn't in college. Honestly, I think they are a little overrated. Plus, I've been reading, not good if your ab muscles separated during pregnancy. My fav workouts are the ones I can do in 15 minutes: so T-Tapp and this one (http://www.prevention.com/print/26102) I found via Pinterest. Hard to get back on this workout wagon!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much fromlittlehands! I've read sit-ups are bad too. I don't actually want to do them to workout, they would kill my back! I just want to be able to do one for the sake of being able to do one!
DeleteI have never, ever been able to do a sit-up. They are so hard!
ReplyDeleteYES!!!!! I can't wait until my husband reads this. I am not alone! Thanks cityandthecubicle!
DeleteI know what you mean about sticking to a workout at least three times a week, even if it is 4 minutes on the elliptical which is what I've been trying to do every week. I am not that much overweight either (I've had three kids and I weigh around ten pounds more than my pre-kids weight), what bothers me a little is that my clothes don't fit as well as I'd like them to but I'm OK with that, I just want to be in shape. So I made up a new rule for myself (I don´t always follow it), don´t turn on the computer until I've done my four minutes (which hopefully will slowly turn into 5, 10 minutes).
ReplyDeleteI can do a sit up but only if my toes are tucked under the couch - at least when I'm first beginning to work out after a pregnancy. But I'd rather do floor exercises than jumping jacks. Jillian and jumping jacks - I always feel like crap when she yells about 400lb people being able to do a jumping jack so I can too. Whatever, Jillian!
ReplyDeleteI like going for "strong" instead of "thin." I'm not working out to look thinner as a Mom. I'm working out because I need strength to get through my day.
ReplyDeleteAbigail, exactly! If I can get rid of this blob feeling, I'll be so happy!
DeleteI feel I need to chime in too with my two cents...I can feel and understand your frustration, as I have 3 kids and the metabolism you describe. It seems to take longer with every post-partum period to get back to 'normal', but it does happen eventually.
ReplyDeleteI want to echo everything Sarah (above) stated, especially that it takes 9 months up, 9 months (minimum) down. Try not to be so hard on yourself, even though, like I said, I get it. It is frustrating, but it does happen. Your body has been through a lot, and it takes time to recover. For the record, my third baby is now 6 years old, and over this past weekend, I pulled out a dress I kept that I wore on my honeymoon 13 years ago, and it fit perfectly...thank you metabolism (and running)!!! Try to fully enjoy the fleeting moments with your newborn and your toddler, and have faith that the body stuff will all be better in time.
Eat healthy, move often (that's a given with a toddler!), try to rest as much as you can and enjoy the moment. I really enjoy your blog. God Bless! Kate from Canada.
P.S. From a medical perspective, I wouldn't even consider sit ups yet after just a few weeks post-partum....those abdominal muscles are well stretched and maybe even a bit separated. Let them recover. ;-)
Thanks Kate! No sit-ups for me. Even if I COULD do them, I've heard they're bad for you, especially after childbirth. Thanks for looking out for me!
DeleteHrm...I was super-skinny in high school and very active (I almost never watched TV as a kid - I was out bopping around outside all the time), but nevertheless shockingly uncoordinated, no upper-body strength, zero endurance for distance running - picked last for every SINGLE team in gym class. For ten years. The education elite think that gym class is the path to the health of the American child and I say it is a short road to therapy bills. But that is NOT MY POINT. I succeeded in only one thing in gym class ever, and that is sit-ups. We had to do that stupid presidential fitness exam twice a year. I usually fought and fought and never got to 30, which means I got a 1 (lowest score you can get, unless you don't participate at all). So at some point I started doing 50 situps every night. At first it took me forever. But I got better. By the next exam, I did 60 situps and got a 3 (highest score available). My classmates were stunned. Here is where my adolescent brain spectacularly failed to take the next logical leap: if I could work steadily at something I'm not naturally good at and get much, much better, maybe I could do that with OTHER things I'm not naturally good at! But I did nothing with this realization; situps remained my one gym class victory. In fact, I would not absorb this lesson until I was nearly 30.
ReplyDeleteI say that by way of encouragement: I did know how to do a sit-up, but I was able to improve from abysmal to very good. So can you. If your problem is that you "don't know how" to do a sit-up, I'm thinking that you just haven't figured out how to isolate the muscle groupings you need. (If you had a six-pack, you had plenty of abdominal strength, so that's not the issue.) Try this: sit up normally on the floor. Then, lower your back into a lying-down position. But make yourself do it sloooooooowly. The muscles straining are the ones you need to perform that same exercise in reverse :).
By the way - nice job on the daily workout! The treadmill is calling me - I am trying to pretend I don't hear. But I shall take your fine example. Health and fitness are worthy goals, especially for the weak and indolent (me).
misfit-60 in one minute???? That boggles my mind. I remember trying this trick a few years ago. I'll have to give it a try again. You're exactly right, I cant figure out how to isolate the muscles.
DeleteOh, um, yes - I make no representation about whether sit-ups are healthy after labor! Never tried that!
ReplyDeleteCan't do a sit up. Won't even try.
ReplyDeleteHeidi-No sit-ups UNITE!
DeleteI came back to second what everyone is saying about not doing sit ups yet. Too so. After a baby and thy can actually make your stomach look bigger. I learned this the hard way.
ReplyDelete